Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first .22 rifle today, a wood stock Ruger 10/22. I bought this rifle as a project gun, and was hoping to get some suggestions on what to do first. What upgrades have you guys and gals done? What is the best bang for you buck upgrade? Ammo and mag suggestions? Inexpensive scope suggestions? Just want to make this plinker as accurate and enjoyable as possible!

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
I put a folding stock on mine, red dot scope and a few 30 round magazines and just shoot the hell out of cans

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Hogue stock, bull barrel, volq slide release and charging handle, gunsmith got the trigger down to a crisp 3.5lbs... Oh and the BSA Sweet 22 scope. I love this setup.

Just before install...

Everything done...

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where is the best place to look for the barrel and stock? What did you pay for those (if you don't mind me asking)?

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is the scope base that came with it ok to use?

And no, that ain't bad at all!

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
not a 10/22 expert i have shot my brothers put a few thousand down the pipe over the years, best bang for buck would be a trigger job in my opinion. Most of the mass produced .22 are pretty darn accurate out of the box, the lawyers make the manufacturers make the triggers heavy, thats the best bang for the buck by far in my opinion.

Almost anything else you do will be negated, or not all its benefits seen if you do say put optics on it, and a new match barrel but keep old trigger for the next six months. Trigger alone is biggest difference you can make.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Some of the things you can do are:
1) Auto bolt Mod - Free
2)Replace Hammer with aftermarket Hammer - $30 Drops trigger pull to 2 1/2-3 lbs.
3)Replace bolt buffer - $10
4) Order Tactical Innovation TI-25 Mag 25 round - $35
5) New Barrel - $100-$250

Check out RimfireCentral.com - Hobby and Info Source For All Rimfire Caliber Ammo and Firearms for a lot of ideas and suggestions. Have fun with what ever you chose to do with your 10/22.

·
Registered
253 Posts
not a 10/22 expert i have shot my brothers put a few thousand down the pipe over the years, best bang for buck would be a trigger job in my opinion. Most of the mass produced .22 are pretty darn accurate out of the box, the lawyers make the manufacturers make the triggers heavy, thats the best bang for the buck by far in my opinion.

Almost anything else you do will be negated, or not all its benefits seen if you do say put optics on it, and a new match barrel but keep old trigger for the next six months. Trigger alone is biggest difference you can make.
I'm guessing that a smoother/lighter trigger helps keep you from moving the rifle when being pulled?

·
Registered
29,588 Posts
I'd start by swapping out the whole trigger group for a Volquartsen complete group & picking up a good bull barrel. Then I'd get a stock you like (this isn't necessary immediately--a little time with a dremel and you can ream out the barrel channel on your old stock). Get some good optics...and good rings.

My buddy built one up; he's got about $700 total in the rifle, but this includes a 3-9x40 Vari-X III...with match ammo, he can put 10 shots in a nickel at 50 yards.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Definitely get a trigger job or lighten up the trigger. Thats the single best thing I've done to mine.

I also love my tatical solutions extended mag release.

I have the factory laminated stock/forged bull barrel so I wanted to keep that the same but my brother has a full trigger job, hogue stock, a nice match bull barrel (forget who makes the barrel) and a nice mueller scope.

The trigger jobs on both guns are great and although his gun is a little more accurate than mine, my groups aren't bad enough for me to want a different barrel.

Great gun for the price, and with the price of ammo you can have fun all afternoon and not break the bank.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Bought all my 10/22 parts from Midway except for the trigger: had a local smith work it over and change the safety to left hand. I think the trigger work ran me about $75.00 {overtravel screw, replaced some parts and did the bolt release}. A SS .920" fluted barrel from Midway along with the Hogue overmolded stock. One thing to remember is that most .920 barrels have a "target" chamber and that the hyper velocity rounds like CCI's "Stinger" will not chamber...not a big deal but just know that going into it.

As far as importance:
1) Trigger Work: the stock trigger is usable, but since it is so easy to upgrade, why not.
2) .920 Barrel and Houge Stock. I looked at the Fajen style wood stocks, but since this is a plinker/small game/all purpose gun, I wanted something that was pretty tough and good in all weather conditions.
3) The first scope I put on was a big, 4.5x14-40mm with an AO. Great scope and worked great off a rest, but since I like to carry this thing around, the scope was just too bulky. Ended up replacing it with a Simmons 22 Mag rimfire scope in 3x9-32mm. While not the scope that the Leopold is, for my use, it is perfect.
4) And maybe this should be first, but good quality 25rd mags {my experience is that anything more than a 25rd and I got alot of jams}, a good mag loader and many, many cases of 22lr. This thing will eat ammo at an alarming rate.:mrgreen: I have gone out and gone thru 500rds just in an afternoon....esp with a couple of the 25 rd mags.

Woof
Bowser

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I can only imagine that JHANKG is excited about this project... I'm already underway with my ruger 10/22, and by just reading this thread... I'm even more excited!!!

I'm getting antsy to get my build done damnit!

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I just took delivery on the latest 10/22 about a week ago. I got the whole Volquartsen trigger group, Tuffer Buffer, Hi-DesertDog spiral fluted, threaded bull barrel and a Hogue stock for it. I had a Simmons 4x32 .22MAG scope that I threw in some Millett rings and called it a day.

I'll probably get it out to the range this weekend, but the paperwork for the can is still a few weeks out. :(

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I'm in the same situation as you with a stock 10/22. I'm thinking trigger first. Lots of good advice here and on some rimfire boards too.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I don't think I've shot mine in 2yrs or more..... I'm gonna have to pull it out and at least give it a once over. No mods, wood stock and SS barrel. I've always wanted to get a bull barrel, work on the trigger and get a nice stock. I wish I could kill the damn squirrels with it but I don't live in a rural area.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts