Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to improve my trigger but I don't want to spend a ton of money doing it. Its my range and home defense rifle so I don't want to make the trigger too good and touchy.I just want to lighten it up a bit and smooth it out. I was considering an ALG combat trigger or just doing some polishing of the trigger that came with PSA lower and installing a JP spring kit JPS3.5T. I have no idea what trigger that came installed in it but smoothing it out and spending $10 on springs is appealing.

The only concern I have with installing the JP springs is that they say domestic ammo is strongly recommended for large ARs and duty/defense weapons to ensure 100% reliability. Should this be a big concern with my AR-15? By large AR are they referring to one chambered in .308/7.62?

JP spring kit
JP Rifles

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does polishing up the trigger and keeping the stock springs make a good difference? I'm sure it won't be lighter but smoother would be good. That or I might just get the ALG combat trigger. Would the ALG be reliable with hard primers?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Does polishing up the trigger and keeping the stock springs make a good difference? I'm sure it won't be lighter but smoother would be good. That or I might just get the ALG combat trigger. Would the ALG be reliable with hard primers?
If done right it will smooth out some grit feel. Polish your trigger and hammer pins and the mounting holes on the inside of the trigger and hammer. Use a q-tip to polish the inside. Some also say to polish the connector but I would not

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
my gunsmith tweaked the standard springs, (not sure what he did to them), and polished the hammer and sear, and it is like a completely different trigger. MUCH smoother, and while maybe not "lighter" (no scale to verify), it is SO much better than the stock grit that used to be there.

Try finding someone that can do it for you... (or watch a video and do it yourself).... amazed what a little "elbow grease" can do!!

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll watch some videos and attempt doing it myself. That way I can get familiar with the trigger system and learn a little bit, plus I like working on my stuff. I've had good results with Mothers Billet polish. I'll follow that up with Gun Butter Trigger and locking block grease. It should feel good after that. I might nit be decreasing the pull weight but with the added smoothness it might feel lighter. Basically all I'm looking for.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Thanks guys. I think I'll watch some videos and attempt doing it myself. That way I can get familiar with the trigger system and learn a little bit, plus I like working on my stuff. I've had good results with Mothers Billet polish. I'll follow that up with Gun Butter Trigger and locking block grease. It should feel good after that. I might nit be decreasing the pull weight but with the added smoothness it might feel lighter. Basically all I'm looking for.
I think what you're looking for, you are on the right track. If you do decide the trigger isn't light enough after a polish, consider the ACT trigger. That is a sweet no thrills trigger. Not super light, but at the lower end of milspec and smooth. Everything I look for in a duty trigger.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think what you're looking for, you are on the right track. If you do decide the trigger isn't light enough after a polish, consider the ACT trigger. That is a sweet no thrills trigger. Not super light, but at the lower end of milspec and smooth. Everything I look for in a duty trigger.
Yeah, I figure I might as well start with the cheapest and most simple route by polishing up the trigger I already have. That way I can learn how the trigger works and get used to stripping the lower. If all else fails I think the ALG trigger will be my be solution for a HD/range rifle. I want the wife to get me a Magpul BEV block for Xmas to help me do this :)

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
I'm glad you posted this question SFM, I would like to do the same. Lower the trigger pull just a tad. My trigger is smooth, not gritty, but I want it to be lighter than the 7 1/4 lb that it is now. Wondering if just a lighter trigger spring would help, without changing the hammer spring.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
I'm glad you posted this question SFM, I would like to do the same. Lower the trigger pull just a tad. My trigger is smooth, not gritty, but I want it to be lighter than the 7 1/4 lb that it is now. Wondering if just a lighter trigger spring would help, without changing the hammer spring.
the hammer impinges on the trigger, so one effects the other.

·
Premium Member
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure what the pull weight is but I'd imagine its around 8. Is that pretty standard for a Mil-Spec trigger? Mine isn't too gritty but it seems a notchy in the pretravel. Like anyone, if I can improve the trigger of any gun in any way especially on the cheap, I'll do it. I'd rather have a smooth trigger than one that super light.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The ALG (QMS) single stage trigger is great and when combined with JPS 3.5 yellow springs yields a smooth reliable, 4.5 lb. battle trigger. I have this running on my SR-556e and SR-762. All kinds of mil spec ammo goes bang every time after 1000s of rounds through each. This is a very affordable and dependable solution to the typically heavy and sometimes gritty triggers that come from the manufacturers. Be careful "polishing" the articulating surfaces of your trigger as you can easily take off too much material and get through the case hardened steel. Trigger surfaces can then ware quickly and become unreliable.

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
I have JP triggers with JP springs installed in two ARs, using JP springs. I use Wolf and Tula primers, with no light strikes. I prefer Geissele triggers.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts