Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting myself a Christmas present and I really really want an AR but for now it is looking to be Just a little more than I would like to spend so I have decided that I either need a revolver or a 1911 .45 acp. I have 2 9mm xdm's and love them but I want something with a little more umpf when we go hog hunting. So I want a 4" revolver either in .357 mag or .44 mag. I do not want a 6" barrel because I will not need long range accuracy. I have looked around and have found a Taurus 65 in .357 mag with 4" barrel for $385 or the RIA 1911 for $385. I really have no need for either other than a larger sidearm. It will also more than likely be my bedside gun when I am not hunting. Any advice or suggestions would be great or should I save my money for a couple months and get an AR?????????????

·
Registered
193 Posts
i'd go with something from S&W in either cal. i like .44mag personaly, but either would be a beast. just check with local laws on hunting with a handgun. some places require a 6inch bbl if you're hunting with it

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would be solely for a tracking gun after the shot or for a one to the head to end suffering sorta situation. Not that I plan on missing lol;)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Sooooooo, the original post shouldn't even say a 4in bbl in .357 or .44 it should just say you're looking for .357........ as far as taurus revos go, i bought a .38 snubbie that was the biggest headache and worst purchase i ever made. couldn't get the POS to work more than 2 or 3 shots without opening the cylinder and closing it back. never got it to work, sold it to a guy who knew it was trash but wanted to fix it and i bought a glock. so S&W would still be my suggestion. they make 4in .357mag/.38 for roughly $700

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I want the 4" barrel I do not want a snubbie. It needs to be a little more accurate than that. A bbl would be fine. I have no reason to get a small revolver I want a big gun.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
A used S&W .357 is about half that price. My 66-7 was 425 and very fine gun. Lotsa fun and very accurate without any problems.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is exactly what I want! It is not going to be my EDC but it might live its life in the truck! Would you say that a revolver or a 1911 would work better? It is extremely dusty where I live and i didn't know if that would hurt the function of one or the other??

·
Registered
66 Posts
You sound as though you need a Glock 20 given your description of needs. I like revolvers and own a few but the Glock in 10mm is hard to beat for a put-down pistol. More capacity and with a barrel switch you have a 40 SW for value at the range.:idea:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Disregard last post. As I stated before there is absolutely no NEED lol purely just a toy! I'm leaning toward the revolver, i do not have one and would at least like to give it a go. Thanks for the opinions!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Ruger GP100, 4 inch barrel. A solid, beautiful gun. Can't beat a Ruger!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So a used Ruger GP100 vs a new RIA 1911? Maybe I should just sing up for a few more shifts and buy me an AR! It's a hard decision when you are buying an extra tool for the toolbox but you have no real need for it but its cool and I got to have it ha!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I vote Ruger!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
a used GP100 is a much better bet than a new Taurus.

you can find them cheap. They're not too bad brand new. Around 500.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts