Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well now that I have a second pistol to carry, I want to detail strip my XD and possibly add in some goodies from pistol gear. So I was wondering if anyone can recommend a punch set that they may have used or recommend for fully disassembling my XD

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
You don't really need anything special for the XD. I got a cheap set from Harbor Freight that works great.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Harbor Freight has a set of punches for really cheap and will handle just about any requirement you may need.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I will use it for all around tools also. And everything I have ever owned at harbor freight was broken after any large amount of use.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
You don't need a fancy set. I bought 3 punches from Menards (home center like Lowes or Home Depot): 1/16, 3/32, and 1/8". I also used a small flat-blade screwdriver, and a small tack hammer.

Total cost? About $10. And you don't have to pay shipping.

If you're planning on removing the extractor in a detailed cleaning of the slide, you'll also want an L-shaped pick to pry it out of the slot. But that's really all you need.

I just installed a Powder River trigger kit in my XD45 and all I needed was the three punches, tack hammer, and small screwdriver.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
You don't need a fancy set. I bought 3 punches from Menards (home center like Lowes or Home Depot): 1/16, 3/32, and 1/8". I also used a small flat-blade screwdriver, and a small tack hammer.

Total cost? About $10. And you don't have to pay shipping.

If you're planning on removing the extractor in a detailed cleaning of the slide, you'll also want an L-shaped pick to pry it out of the slot. But that's really all you need.

I just installed a Powder River trigger kit in my XD45 and all I needed was the three punches, tack hammer, and small screwdriver.
Well fess up a URL, brother. I chose what I chose because it was the only good choice I could find. And it is good, but, as you point out, more pricey.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Well fess up a URL, brother. I chose what I chose because it was the only good choice I could find. And it is good, but, as you point out, more pricey.
Well, that doesn't make you a bad person. :)

I'm just saying that one can find the requisite punches at a local home supply store, one doesn't have to wait to have it shipped.

What URL did you want?

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I dont want any URL. I just don't recognize the name of the store you spoke of. Since we both carry the mark of the infidel on our avatars (mine simply says infidel), it'll be okay.

As far as shipping. I get my stuff in 2 days. I don't have time to go shopping about to see if anyone has what I need. I go to places where I know that they'll have what I need. And Midway is always my stalwart.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
I dont want any URL. I just don't recognize the name of the store you spoke of. Since we both carry the mark of the infidel on our avatars (mine simply says infidel), it'll be okay.

As far as shipping. I get my stuff in 2 days. I don't have time to go shopping about to see if anyone has what I need. I go to places where I know that they'll have what I need. And Midway is always my stalwart.
You could try here:

Menards.com - Home

:)

I like Midway as well. Decent prices, fast service, except for now when most of the stuff I want/need is backordered.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts