Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard XDS (not OSP) and will shortly be picking up a Hellcat OSP. Reason I am posting this here is 1. There does not seem to be a Hellcat forum here and 2. I believe SA would use the same footprint for OSP sights on the XDS as the Hellcat. I remember the Hellcat was originally supposed to fit the Shield RMSC prism and another one that I forget but now there are a lot of other sights that might work, like the Sig Romeo O, the Crimson Trace and I have read good things about the Holosun 507c but nobody seems to have them in stock. If anyone has tried a prismatic red dot on the XDS or Hellcat I would like to know your impression about fit/ dot definition in different light conditions, etc.
Thanks, Shortgun.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I put a Sig Romeo Zero on mine. The included screws need to be shaved like 1-2 threads, or they're too long. Racking the slide with the optic will cause the battery to lose contact. But otherwise the sit works great. The brightness adjustment is really difficult to reach.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a Sig Romeo Zero on mine. The included screws need to be shaved like 1-2 threads, or they're too long. Racking the slide with the optic will cause the battery to lose contact. But otherwise the sit works great. The brightness adjustment is really difficult to reach.
View attachment 825693
Holosun has a new 507k that's made for smaller guns. Check that one out.
Thank you. I am giving my daughter in law a Romeo 0 for her Sig for Christmas. I will wait to shoot that one and see how I like it before deciding. Sounds like it might be a bit temperamental on the Hellcat slide. Shortgun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I bought the Romeo Zero for the HellCat.and still have it mounted. For me, it was the least expensive sight. I have found out it is the biggest bang for the money. I know the Shields are very good but 100 or more dollars in cost. The Sentinel is 50 dollars more, doesn't provide co-witnessing and experiences some cracked glass lenses after very little use. The JT Enterprises footprint compatible Red Dot is more money and has had quality issues. My Romeo Zero has been spot on, wakes up every time I pick it up, it co-witnesses, fresh batteries last a long time, (not the ones that come with it for some reason), once I set the brightness, I never have needed to change it, and it is accurate!
I can't speak of the Holosun other than it looks bulkier than the RZ.
That FDE HellCat really looks sharp!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought the Romeo Zero for the HellCat.and still have it mounted. For me, it was the least expensive sight. I have found out it is the biggest bang for the money. I know the Shields are very good but 100 or more dollars in cost. The Sentinel is 50 dollars more, doesn't provide co-witnessing and experiences some cracked glass lenses after very little use. The JT Enterprises footprint compatible Red Dot is more money and has had quality issues. My Romeo Zero has been spot on, wakes up every time I pick it up, it co-witnesses, fresh batteries last a long time, (not the ones that come with it for some reason), once I set the brightness, I never have needed to change it, and it is accurate!
I can't speak of the Holosun other than it looks bulkier than the RZ.
That FDE HellCat really looks sharp!!!!
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I did not know if it would co-witness with the factory sights. That is important to me. It is coming down to the Romeo O and the Holosun 507c-x2, and I was hoping to get the Holosun with a green reticle, but I do not think the Holosun would co-witness from the looks of it. Waiting to shoot the Romeo after Christmas. Shortgun.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks, that makes me feel better. I did not know if it would co-witness with the factory sights. That is important to me. It is coming down to the Romeo O and the Holosun 507c-x2, and I was hoping to get the Holosun with a green reticle, but I do not think the Holosun would co-witness from the looks of it. Waiting to shoot the Romeo after Christmas. Shortgun.
The Romeo zero barely co-witnesses, it does, but half the front sight is covered.

·
Registered
63 Posts
"The Romeo zero barely co-witnesses, it does, but half the front sight is covered."

I set my dot right on top of the front site on the Romeo Zero. As stated above, it co-witnesses but does impair the view of the whole front site. This setup with the dot just above the front site gives me dead on shots at 15 yards. When I stretch it out to 60+ feet, I hold the dot just over where I want the hits. If my RZ fails, I can see the front site and can put shots on target easily! I don't care about seeing the bottom of the front sites. It's a carry gun with a 3" barrel. It's not a target pistol. I can see the top and down to half of the front site level to the rear V-notch site. It isn't an issue to me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Sig Romeo on mine now and have had no problems with it. It mounts up perfectly with the 4 recoil lugs milled into the Hellcat slide. It will co-witness with the iron sights but just barely. I have the Holosun HS507K-X2 on order and plan on replacing the Romeo Zero with it. The 507K is either going to require a adapter plate that 0.045" thick or grinding down the 2 rear recoil lugs as well as shorting the front recoil lugs about 0.010" to use it without the adapter plate. The 507K only has cutouts for the front recoil lugs. If the sights still co-witness with the adapter plate I'll go that route. If not, then I'll do the required milling or grinding to the recoil posts on the slide. Really like the Holosun HS507K X2 because of the ability to use the 2 MOA dot, 2MOA dot w/32 MOA circle, or just the 32 MOA circle. That 32 MOA circle really helps get on target faster.. Also like the fact that it has a battery tray so the sight does not have to be removed to replace the battery and its IP67 waterproof.
My only real complaint with the Romeo Zero is that it has to be removed to change the battery and it has a composite body and lense. Its not near as robust as the 507K with the 7075 aluminum body and glass lense.

·
Premium Member
874 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
I spent yesterday running and gunning this setup. To save on ammo, it was mostly double tap, reload, single shot drills, all while on the move, on targets from 3-15 yards. Lots of dropping mags, partially grabbing the Romeo zero to slingshot a reload, had the sight snag my shirt a couple of times. Since my last post, I grinded off one more thread on the Romeo zero screws. Haven't had the battery lose contact since, even after using it rather roughly. This was the first time I've shot my hellcat outside of stationary range lanes. I'm really liking this little rig, it legitimately feels like cutting edge CCW tech.

·
Registered
4,256 Posts
I went with Trijicon RMRcc on the Hellcat OSP and let's just say the mounting plate is beefy.

Had I known, I might have opted for a regular Hellcat with a custom milled slide.

·
Registered
358 Posts
"The Romeo zero barely co-witnesses, it does, but half the front sight is covered."

I set my dot right on top of the front site on the Romeo Zero. As stated above, it co-witnesses but does impair the view of the whole front site. This setup with the dot just above the front site gives me dead on shots at 15 yards. When I stretch it out to 60+ feet, I hold the dot just over where I want the hits. If my RZ fails, I can see the front site and can put shots on target easily! I don't care about seeing the bottom of the front sites. It's a carry gun with a 3" barrel. It's not a target pistol. I can see the top and down to half of the front site level to the rear V-notch site. It isn't an issue to me.
On mine, with the factory irons, POI is 6 o'clock of the sight picture. I zero'd the RZ to POI at 7 yards. It pretty much hits dead on from 3-15 yards. I've been getting used to ignoring the irons altogether, and just placing the dot.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts