Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, am going to start reloading .223 and would like to know what powder, primer and 55gr bullet you perfer. I, will be shooting mostly at paper 25-100 yrds. want decent accurcy. The gun is an AR with 16" chrome lined barrel 1:7 twist. I, have been using Federal small pistol primers for my 9mm with no problems, how good are the Federal sm rifle primers.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I don't load .223 but I have used Federal primers for a long time and prefer them. When stock dwindles at the gun stores, it's always Federal primers that are sold out first.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I use Ramshot TAC, X-terminator and either Win or CCI SRP's. No need for magnum primers in a .223 case, but they do work OK.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've gotten excelent results with H335, Midway Dogstown 55gr bullets, and Win or Fed SRP. Sub1/2" groups from 2 different AR's.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I have loaded the .223 with most of the more popular powders but I have yet to find one that gives better accuracy and consistency than my old centerfire rifle 'standby'- H4895. I use Winchester primers exclusively for the same reasons.

Full length resize, trim to length and use a firm crimp if loading for an autoloader.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
invest in one of these if you are serious about reloading great item to have on your reloading bench
I have the Hornady Reloading Handbook from 1984 and I still use it for reference sometimes. It's funny to see some of the most popular cartridges aren't in there because they weren't invented in 1984.

Gack, I'm old!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I'm new to .223 as well. I have the 7th edition Hornady Handbook that came with the LNL press kit. One thing I gotta say is lube them cases:-?

·
Registered
185 Posts
An answer to your question mite be what does your gun like. Pretty hard to say what will work for your gun not knowing what kind of gun it is. I know when I started reloading some bench mark loads I loaded 10 of one load and 10 of a different load until I got the load my gun liked and yes a 1/2 grain makes a huge difference.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts