Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading up and I'm starting to purchase reloading equipment and supplies.

What pistol powder do you guys suggest starting with? I know that there are some faster and slightly slower pistol powders. I'm planning on reloading 9mm and then .40 S&W.

Thanks,

Hardwarz

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
well im not sure exactly what powder it would be but a powder that has a large volume for its amount of power would be good, that way if you have a double charge you will know since it will overfill the case. there are lists of powders i remember seeing that tell you how many CC per grain. i know that doesnt help much.
i went with bullseye which most will say isnt a good choice since its a really fast powder and isnt very forgiving when you overcharge a case. ive never had a problem though.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Unique. It will fill more of the case and reduce the likelihood of you putting in a double charge
thats what i was trying to say....just didnt know the name of powders that do it.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Get a reloading manual, look for a medium burning powder that has data for both .40 and 9mm and has the bullet weights and type you plan to shoot.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
AA5 or tightgroup are my favorites in auto pistols. Clays comes in a close 3rd.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
AA5 or tightgroup are my favorites in auto pistols. Clays comes in a close 3rd.
Please do NOT use TG, Clays, BE or other "uberfast" powder as a newb. Not only do they not bulk well in the case, the pressure curves are almost vert. meaning, any small error in your load, like wrong bullet wt., slight overcharge, bullet seated too deep, all can cause serious problems w/ uberfast powders, especially running near max. For the newb, any of the med. burners, like Unique, Universal, HS6, WSF, even AA#5 will keep you out of serious trouble. They all fill the case well enough to spot a double or no charge (also bad). Here is a burn rate chart. Powder Burn Rate Comparison Chart @ www.reloadersnest.com I've tried most of the pistol powders available over the last 30yrs & use nothing faster than WST today, & that is for mousefart target loads only.

·
Registered
190 Posts
i have found that unique is very dirty, but it is hard to double charge it dur to the amount of powder needed. winchester 231 is a nice all around powder to start with.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Get a reloading manual, look for a medium burning powder that has data for both .40 and 9mm and has the bullet weights and type you plan to shoot.
+1 on that...

I like/use Alliant Power Pistol. Nice medium burn rate. I reload 9mm, the Hornady manual stated that they had good results using that powder in 9mm. I haven't had any problems with it. Another shooter in our club reloads .40 with it and he also likes it.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
The first step is to be SURE you're getting 100% correct information about reloading. The Internet can be a great source of information, but there is no substitute for using published reloading manuals. I recommend owning at least 3 different reloading manuals as reference material, and don't take chances. Some manuals are better than others at explaining the basics. Others include articles about the latest reloading tools and reloading techniques. Sometimes even the load information will conflict between different manuals. For those that read carefully, they will usually understand why this happens. Their printed data usually lists the barrel length on test guns. They is also using a variety of different component manufacturers.
Internet forums let you ask specific questions to other shooters that may have more reloading experience with a specific caliber. You can learn a lot from other shooters, but be sure you're accepting information from someone that actually knows what they're doing. Reloading forums are a great source of information, but they're no substitute for using your own judgment after doing a little research in the reloading manuals. There are plenty of shooters out there that are willing to help any way they can. However, there is always going to be a well-intentioned shooter that will pass on his mistakes by accident. Always verify Internet information with a trusted reloading manual whenever possible.

If you compare information on reputable sites, you will get variations of information, i.e.; Powder Burn Rate Comparison Chart @ www.reloadersnest.com and Powder Burn Rates

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I do agree that it is a good safe practice to start with a higher volume powder. But, after you get the basics and safety down, look at TiteGroup. It is a great powder for the calibers you will be loading. You can start with it right away, just be very careful.

·
Registered
178 Posts
i have found that unique is very dirty, but it is hard to double charge it dur to the amount of powder needed. winchester 231 is a nice all around powder to start with.
Same here. I also had issues with getting unique to meter consistently. 231 is usually pretty easy to find load data for as well. No, it doesn't fill the case as much, but if your paying the proper amount of attention when reloading you shouldn't run into a problem with double charging. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm just gathering information for now. I don't even have a press yet. I'm looking to buy stuff when it's on sale.

I have the ABCs of reloading and whent though that. After Christmas, I'm getting Lee's Modern Reloading and probably Layman's manual.

I'm hoping I can find supplies on sale during the Christmas season to add to my stocks even before I start reloading.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Hardwarz

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bullseye, Accurate #5 or #7, Win 231, HS-6 and Clays are all good powders. I do prefer a powder that fills the case better or overflows with a double charge.

My current favorite for .40, .45, 10mm and 5.7x28 is Ramshot True Blue. It meters extremely well, burns clean at the charges I load and it isn't uber fast burning so it takes up some space in the case which makes it easier to see a double charge. It's also priced lower than most powders.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I am not sure why everybody thinks you'll dbl load. I have since day one used Bullseye. It is a bit dirty,,,but its cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
When I bought all my reloading stuff, I made the jump (probably an ignorant one admitedly) and bought 8lbs of WW231 powder. I bought bulk because it fit the bill for the calibers and weights that I wanted to reload (9mm, .40s&w, .45acp) and from the information that I had been gathering prior to my order (from here, other sites, and from the very, very helpful people over at Dillon) I had learned that it was a great powder to learn with because it is somewhat "forgiving" in its loads. If you look at the load data for, the minimums and maximums are a bit of a spread, so you have a tad bit of wiggle room. I like the powder, it is a bit dirty, and has a offers up a healthy muzzle flash, but for the most part, it is a great powder, and was an excellent choice for my newbness.

Now that I have been reloading for a while, I have been wanting to step up to a slighlty faster powder like Titegroup. I think I still have maybe 6 pounds of 231 left though, so I think it might be a while before I buy anything different though, which is fine with me. I have found that the loads I have put together with the 231 powder have all be very accurate and even if I deviate the load a bit (minimum to maximum book loads) the accuracy does not suffer much at ranges of 10 yards or so.

So, in short (yeah, now I give you the short version right?) Im very happy with my decision to start off with WW231 powder as it has served me well and has been very good to me, but if I had to do it all over again, I probably would have bought it in a much smaller quantity than the 8lb jug I have sitting out next to my reloading bench now.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I am not sure why everybody thinks you'll dbl load. I have since day one used Bullseye. It is a bit dirty,,,but its cheap.
Today, BE is way down the list of clean burning, accurate powders. One should be concerned about case/powder vlumns. It's much easier to visually inspect cases that are almost full vs 1/3 full. The double charge is the leat of my problems w/ uberfasts like Clays, TG & BE. The vert. pressure curve & narrow vel. range are the bigger issue. Bullet setback can ruin your day shooting such powders near max. If you shoot mousefart loads, then it's less of an issue. Just keep in mind, powder is THE CHEAPEST part of a reload. SO choose a powder w/ the performance level & accuracy you want, not price. The diff. between say Clays & HP38 or WST is less than 0.002c per round.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts