Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to shooting and just got my XMD 40 last week. I intend to use the gun for home/personal defense not high precision target shooting. As such I’m am wondering what if any modification I should have made to the gun. A lot of people seem to have gotten the Springer Combat Carry trigger job and different sights.

I’m told the tactical sights on the gun are good for my intended use as they favor fast target acquisition over long range accuracy but I thought about at least getting some night sights because if god forbid the day ever come when I need to defend myself or my home it will most likely be at night.

My first instinct is to practice with the gun for awhile and see how I like the trigger once its broken in and see just how accurate the sights on the gun are before I consider paying to have them changed but if it is certain that the gun, and I, will benefit from a trigger and/or sight job then I may as well get it done before I get used to the gun in its current setup and then have to get used to a whole new setup.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I am new to shooting and just got my XMD 40 last week. I intend to use the gun for home/personal defense not high precision target shooting. As such I’m am wondering what if any modification I should have made to the gun. A lot of people seem to have gotten the Springer Combat Carry trigger job and different sights.

I’m told the tactical sights on the gun are good for my intended use as they favor fast target acquisition over long range accuracy but I thought about at least getting some night sights because if god forbid the day ever come when I need to defend myself or my home it will most likely be at night.

My first instinct is to practice with the gun for awhile and see how I like the trigger once its broken in and see just how accurate the sights on the gun are before I consider paying to have them changed but if it is certain that the gun, and I, will benefit from a trigger and/or sight job then I may as well get it done before I get used to the gun in its current setup and then have to get used to a whole new setup.

What are your thoughts?
For your purposes you don't need anything done to your gun. Night sights are nice but for home defense get a good flashlight. I suggest you follow your instinct and go out a shoot after 500 rounds or so just to smooth things out. The XD(M) is good to go right from the box unlike many guns that need a break in period before they are reliable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have been shooting for fifty years and thought I was a decent pistol shot until I shot an IDPA match. Mercy! I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. You have purchased a great pistol but simply going to the range and punching holes in a few paper targets is not going to make you ready to defend yourself. I would strongly suggest you look into some form of pistol game and that will get you started in the right direction. I think you will find that the people there will be very helpful and willing to give time and advice, freely. You will also learn a lot and your safety/shooting skills will improve. By the way, no one will care how well you shoot so don't stress over it. Once you have some experience and depending on how serious you are about shooting you can look into one of the shooting schools. If you hire a trainer get a lot of references first. I have seen some real idiots trying to train others. Once you have some trigger time you will know what modifications you need to make. My carry gun has TFO sights and a trigger job.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have decided on changing sights. I want night sights, and springfield does offer the stock looking sights with tritium inserts. This is also nice because the white painted dots go away. (I find the dots distracting now that I have more practice, but was concerned about now having them at first) Dawson and Heine also make nice sights that look somewhat stock.

As for the trigger, run 50 or so rounds and maybe try some other pistols to see some differences in triggers. I have found I want my pre-travel shortened and the pull weight lightened.

I intend to send mine into Springfields custom shop in Jan to have a combat/carry trigger job and night sight install done. Price is around $200 plus shipping. Not bad!

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i never mod a gun until i get 1k through it. doing this allows you to really know what needs changed if anything. but if you are going to mod it i say get some night sights or a light

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Your a new shooter, you don't know any better. By that, I mean that you really don't know what you do and don't like. Keep it stock and shoot it and other people's guns. Eventually you will like somebody else's sights or trigger better. Then make the mods. As for me, I took it from the Springfield box and put it in a shipping box and sent it out for a trigger job and sights. When it gets back from that I will have the grip re-textured. Then I will start shooting it. But, I already know what is and is not acceptable for me.

ranburr

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I kinda figured that I needed to put in some serious trigger time before I tried to figure out what, if anything, I wanted to do to the gun. :rolleyes:

As for shooting games, I don't even know how to find out what might be available in my area. I live in a pretty rural part of the state so I'll probably need to travel at least an hour in any direction to find something like that but I'll see what I can find. In the mean time I'll make a point of hitting the range so I can get more familiar with the gun. I definitely want to get more practice before I attempt to get my CC permit. ;)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Go to your local range and ask the people around there about "shooting games" im sure they can get you into IDPA or something.

Thanks for all the input. I kinda figured that I needed to put in some serious trigger time before I tried to figure out what, if anything, I wanted to do to the gun. :rolleyes:

As for shooting games, I don't even know how to find out what might be available in my area. I live in a pretty rural part of the state so I'll probably need to travel at least an hour in any direction to find something like that but I'll see what I can find. In the mean time I'll make a point of hitting the range so I can get more familiar with the gun. I definitely want to get more practice before I attempt to get my CC permit. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Go to your local range and ask the people around there about "shooting games" im sure they can get you into IDPA or something.
My local range is a public range located in the Frozen Camp WMA. I have only been there once and no one else was around at the time.

Judging from the bullet holes in places where there ought not be bullet holes I’d say I should probably avoid their “range games.”:shock: I’ll see what I can come up with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
My local range is a public range located in the Frozen Camp WMA. I have only been there once and no one else was around at the time.

Judging from the bullet holes in places where there ought not be bullet holes I’d say I should probably avoid their “range games.”:shock: I’ll see what I can come up with.
No Offence but if you are that bad of a shot I would invest in a Louisville Slugger. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No Offence but if you are that bad of a shot I would invest in a Louisville Slugger. ;)

IT WASN'T ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:x

There were varying calibers, my two favorites were the various trash cans that had been peppered by bird-shot and the rules and safety board, yes THE RULES AND SAFETY BOARD, that had been hit with several .22 rounds. All of which were behind the firing line.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Save up your used paper plates and next time you go to the range put up 3 or 4 spaced out and at different heights. Develop your own game by shooting the plates in a different order or with a different number of shots into each plate. Vary your distance from the plates and how fast you shoot. It won't take you long to find out how fast you can shoot and remain accurate. If you can get someone to shoot with you try shooting against a partner with the same number of targets. The whole exercises is to learn to shoot quickly and accurately ( of course safety is a given).

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
I have decided on changing sights. I want night sights, and springfield does offer the stock looking sights with tritium inserts. This is also nice because the white painted dots go away. (I find the dots distracting now that I have more practice, but was concerned about now having them at first) Dawson and Heine also make nice sights that look somewhat stock.

As for the trigger, run 50 or so rounds and maybe try some other pistols to see some differences in triggers. I have found I want my pre-travel shortened and the pull weight lightened.

I intend to send mine into Springfields custom shop in Jan to have a combat/carry trigger job and night sight install done. Price is around $200 plus shipping. Not bad!
Night sights are a definite need of a defensive carry gun. Flashlights....not so much. Don't remember having one handy as I last walked from the theater to my truck. I'm just sayin'.

Save ya money. Send to either PRP or Springer. Truglo TFOs a must. I heppen to be a PRP fan. But that's just me. 4 XDs into it.

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
The thousands of idiots that cause thousands of dollars of range damage aren't usually the "gamers". Look up the IDPA and USPSA websites for clubs in your area.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Night sights are a definite need of a defensive carry gun. Flashlights....not so much. Don't remember having one handy as I last walked from the theater to my truck. I'm just sayin'.

Save ya money. Send to either PRP or Springer. Truglo TFOs a must. I heppen to be a PRP fan. But that's just me. 4 XDs into it.
I don’t know if I’ll need night sights or not, the ones I have seem to work well enough in daylight and I have a TLR-2 tac light I can mount on the rail, if I could only find a holster to fit it… As far as the trigger is concerned, I would also like to reduce pre-travel and pull weight but I think I’ll hold off on that for the time being. I am considering getting a new slide rail and recoil spring. I figure that is a mod that I can do myself and from what I’ve seen it could only help just as long as I get the right parts. I’m just not sure which way I should go with that just yet.

I need to work the flaws out of myself before I try to start tweaking the gun.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry guys, I'm new here.
I found Springer Precision's website, but who is PRP?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts