Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the reasons you selected either Tactical, Service or Sub-compact?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Planned on shooting USPSA production class so I picked the 9mm Tactical. Figured longer was better. Maybe should have gone .40 though.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I picked the service in 9mm because of ammo pricing and possible CCW. Not too big nor too small, just right in the middle :lol:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I went with service because it was what I was used to with my other pistols. The tactical was way too big, and the sub seemed way too small.
The service is still big enough to work with easily, and still able to be tucked close to the bod for CCW
I use both .40, and 9mm....but the 9 is much easier to practice with just because ammo is cheaper.......sometimes alot cheaper.
Welcome to the board?

·
Registered
992 Posts
I got a service sized pistol when I wanted to get into the hi-cap 9mm game. This was during the AWB and before the sleeves, so the sub-compact didn't fulfill the requirements. When it was time to pick a gun to replace my S&W J-frame as a pocket gun, I went with the G26 because the XD sub is taller and less concealable than the G26 while in a pocket holster. At the range, I prefer full size guns for funb-factor, but train with the smaller guns to stay proficient with my carry guns.

B9

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
it was just going to be a range gun and the tactical looked cool. :)

·
Registered
6,551 Posts
I went w/ a sub-compact because I want to get my CCW eventually, so I figured go w/ the smallest size right away and get used to it now. Also, with my larger hands I can get a really good grip/hold on the whole gun.

I went with 9mm because I figured it was a widely-available ammo caliber AND economical for lots of target shooting. Plus, I have some carpal tunnel issues in my wrists, and was worried about recoil with the larger calibers.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I went with the service since I thought the tact looked ugly... Plus it's for home protection and target. The service model looks HAWT!

·
Registered
233 Posts
I went with the 4" because personally, I think it looks better on the XD, and I wanted a bi-tone as well. Also, I think it balances better for me, even though I'm used to 5" 1911s, because the frame on an XD is lighter, I'd rather have less weight up top to help with the balace of things.

Andy

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The Service sized XD seemed a good compromise on size vs comfort.

I chose a 40SW, because there was no XD in 45ACP (still isn't) and the 357Sig was too new and ammo was higher and harder to find. Sorry, but if you're already heavily into 1911s and have a Sig 220 in 45ACP, its hard to get exicted about adding a caliber that looks similar and might get confused and is more expensive and harder to find ammo for, like the 45GAP. Besides, the 45GAP came out long after I bought the XD-40.

Why not a 9mm? Well, I own a Belgian Hi-Power and God knows that if I am going to plink inexpansively with a 9mm - its going to be with the Belgian Beauty. Any HP owners out there know what I am talking about. CZ-75 owners feel the same way about the CZ-75...its understandable!

The XD subby seemed too short in the grip and in 40SW, I wanted some grip. The Tactical seemed about the size of my two 1911s and I wanted something shorter for easier carrying than my two 1911s and Hi-Power, but not too stubby.

The XD-40 Service fit the bill nicely.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
209 Posts
Service, because it is (to me) exactly the right size to conceal and yet still use hi cap magazines and shoot accurately, plus I want to try IDPA and it seemed the best choice to cover all options.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
I have a larger frame 9mm (beretta 92F) and was looking for a smaller, reliable 9mm for carry. I opted for the XDSC 9mm.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Wanted a little extra velocity/PF for shooting USPSA matches so I went Tactical.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
XD9SC- New it would be a great reliable CCW gun. I carry daily and it fits me perfect.

XD40SC-I sent my 9 to Canyon Creek for a custom finish and trigger job and felt naked...I new it was the right fit for me. I tried out a bunch of other guns and none felt as good as these do to me so I took it home.

You just can't beat the quality/reliability/concealability of these guns for the price.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I wanted a semi for ccw use since I was retired from le and I never really cared for the small revolver I was restricted to using while off duty. I tried the Glocks and they didn't suit my fancy.

I liked the XD for various reasons, one being I'm lefty and the ambi mag release was there. I waited for the SC 40 to come out, but got tired of months of that, so I bought the 9mm SC and carry it every day for ccw. It conceals well for me and it shoots well also, so I'm good.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I carry all the time so I chose the 9SC, easy to conceal had a G26 and dumped it for the Springfield.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I wanted something small for CCW that I didnt have to dress around so much. I bought the 9mm Sub because the .40 was not an option at the time.

Wife...Got the service XD9 to use for USPSA production class, they didnt have a tactical in 9mm.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts