Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reloading now for about a year, 40s&w and 9mm. I am presently using a lee turret press. I measure my powder with a trickler and digital scale.I dont use the powder thrower that came with the kit due to it not being accurate. I am now wanting something with a little more speed since my loading volume has increased. I am considering a dillon 550B or something along that line. I am also wanting to get away from the trickler and scale but still use something more consistant than the lee powder disks. What do you guys recommend for 200 to 300 rounds per hour?

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I have a single-stage press (RCBS) which works fine, but I'm looking at progressive presses as well.

I'm somewhat conflicted. I think the Dillon stuff is good, but in some cases it's pretty pricey.

I looked at the Square Deal B press, which seems like a good deal, until you price the proprietary dies. It also only does handgun rounds, which I probably could live with as I can load .223 on the single stage. But having to pay $70+ for a single caliber is a dealbreaker for me.

The 550b is a good press by everything I've read, but by the time you get it set up right, it's out of my price range.

The Hornady LNL AP progressive press looks like a nice deal to me. I was talking to an experienced reloader from a gun supply company and he said the throw on the Hornady press lever is quite long, because it's set up to do long rifle cartridges down to small handgun cartridges, whereas the Square Deal B is set up with a much shorter, more efficient throw because it does only handgun cartridges.

I don't know how much difference that makes, maybe a LNL user will chime in.

Finally, I looked also at the Lee Pro 1000. Much, much cheaper, and though it seems from reviews to be very idiosyncratic, most seem satisfied with the price/performance ratio. My concern with it is the lack of a fifth die station, which I would want for a sizer die for a handgun cartridge.

I'll probably end up with the Hornady, assuming I can get it for a price I like. It's got the best combination of capacity, price, ease of setup and changing calibers, and quality. I'm tempted by Dillon, too, but it's out of my price range.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I load on a pair of Dillon 550Bs. One setup for small & one for large primers. With a moderate pace, 400rds an hour is not difficult. Cost is getting up there, but you do NOT need a case feeder to get that rate. It's a good machine & easy to setup & run.
The Lee stuff works, but you'll probably find you have to tinker w/ it often to keep it running. The Hornady LNL is probably the best buy in an auto indexing progressive. Throw in the 1000 free bullets & it's a bargain. I would probably go that way today if I were looking to get a progressive. Nothing wrong w/ the Dillon SDB but you musy use Dillon dies, which are good, & it will not load 357sig.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I recently started using a Hornady LNL progressive with my Lee dies for my 9mm. I've only loaded about 2k rounds so far but haven't had any significant issues.

I did find the standard rifle rotor in the powder measure inaccurate with 4.4 grains of powder so I've installed a pistol rotor with micrometer but I haven't tested it yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use a Hornady LNL progressive. I have loaded .40 and just started loading .223. I've been really happy with it so far and the free bullets didn't hurt. :)

·
Registered
84 Posts
I drank the blue Koolaid over 15 years ago and I have been very happy with my Dillon equipment. I started on an SDB and moved to the 550B. Still use the 550B and a Lee Classic Cast single stage press is mounted next to it on the bench.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Very happy with my LNL single stage. I've been averaging @ 100 9mm/hr after case prep. I'll be getting the progressive soon for more volume for handgun loads. The single will be for .223 and 300 winmag. Hornady makes quality products at a very fair price.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've got a Dillon 650 and a Hornady LNL (both with case feeder), an RCBS Rockchucker, 2 partner presses, and a small Lyman hand/bench. The RCBS's are for large rifle (300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby Mag, etc), the Dillon is for .223 and pistol (except for .40 S&W), and the LNL is for .40 S&W.

I've had no problems out of the others but my LNL was a "Royal Pain" (and no, I don't want to do myself a favor and give it to some generous soul willing to "help a Brother out", but thanks anyway :D). Possibly, I got the odd "1 in a million", so I'm not badmouthing Hornady. Hornady has gone out of their way to to try to make the machine run right.

I was having trouble with once fired .40 S&W cases hanging up in the plastic feed tube although the new cases ran through fine. In the instructions, it says you may have to use the large case feed assembly, but this caused jams at the bottom of the aluminum tube. I contacted Hornady and told them about my problem. I asked if there was a way they could machine out the top of a small case feed tube to where it would accept the large case plastic downtube. My contact said they had never done that before and he wasn't sure that it could be done but he would get with one of their machinists and see. A couple of days later, a new tube arrived and I haven't had a problem since. They also sent a pistol rotor and shell holder springs to me, free of charge. I'm still having a few issues, but nothing major. And has been said, the free bullets help offset the price (although why they would have to give away $250.00 +/- in bullets to sell a $350.00 press made me stop and wonder :confused:).

Still, Red is my favorite color and I have never liked the "blue KoolAid".:mrgreen:

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
I have used a Dillon Square Deal B for .40 and .45ACP for a long time and have nothing but good things to say about it.

I use an RCBS Rock Crusher II for .308 and .44 magnum and have only good things to say about that, too. I use this for .44 mag so I don't have to change the SDB over to a new caliber and because I only load 50 at a time, where I load 3-400 at a time of .40 and .45.

Should I be starting over today, I'd get the Dillon 550 or 650 w/ the auto shell feeder option, no question about it.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I've got a single stage Breech lock, a Pro1000 and a Loadmaster all Lee presses. On the Pro1000 I do 400 rnds every hour at a steady but not fast pace. On the Loadmaster 200 every 25mins, same pace. And those times include refilling the primer trays and brass tubes. if I had a bullet feeder, it'd be alot faster.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I started (20 years ago) with an RCBS (not sure what model). I switched to a Lyman turret. I now use an RCBS Rockchucker with Hornady's Lock-n-load conversion installed.

I also spent many years with a Lee Pro1000, but upgraded to a Dillon 550 a few years ago. I can't imagine a better combo than my 550 and a Rockchucker.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I use a Dillon 550 for pistol calibers and some of my .223. I actually wore it out once and they replaced it with a new unit, rather than rebuilding it. I have a RCBS Rockchucker and a RCBS Junior(my first press I bought many years ago). I use them for rifle calibers, mostly my long range stuff.

All powder measures vary to some degree, depending on the measure and the powder you are using. Small grained powder like ball will meter better than a large extruded grain like Varget. My Dillon measure varies about 3 tenths of a grain with Varget, which is acceptable for what I do with it. MY Harrells doesn't do any better with Varget (probably even worse), but throws Accurate 2460 (a ball powder) right on the money and I don't think twice about loading for my .223 for shooting 600 yards.

That said, I really do like my Dillon, and a lot of other Blue Stuff on my reloading bench. Depending on how much ammo you are loading, you can load a lot of ammo in somewhat short periods of time, but not when you have to weigh each charge. When I am weighing charges, I throw them in a powder measure (into the cases)to just under what I am looking for dump them into my scales pan, and trickle the rest, using a balance beam scale. All electronic scales tend to need re-calibration way too often for me to put my trust in them, including my Dillon.

The bottom line is finding a usuable powder that your measure will throw accutate enough for your use. 9mm and 40's will be plenty accurate with charges thrown in a measure. Throw 10, 20, 30 charges together and average them to see what you are really getting, adjust to your liking and live with it. Otherwise, get a balance beam scale. Of course, a charge weight of 4.0 grains needs to only have so much variation.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i use a lee aniversy set. its cheap and its slow but its a great way to start to see if reloading is for you. if you dont like it you have less then $100 invested and the resale value is pretty good. i got mine for $65 plus how ever much for the dies

·
Registered
116 Posts
This may be a touch off topic... but... :cool:

How do you find repacking .40's are worthwhile? In my looking around, just 100 .40 Winchester bullets are like $21 or so. Plus shells, powder, etc.

I can buy new 100 .40 Winchesters ready to fire for $29. I must be missing something :p

·
Registered
23 Posts

How do you find repacking .40's are worthwhile? In my looking around, just 100 .40 Winchester bullets are like $21 or so. Plus shells, powder, etc.

I can buy new 100 .40 Winchesters ready to fire for $29. I must be missing something :p
If you look into bullets made by berry,rainier,zero prices are alot better. The bullets are copper "PLATED" not jacketed. Cabellas has both. Berry's for around 32.99 @ 250 count and rainiers 59.99 @ 500 count:wink:

·
Banned
5,690 Posts

Prices vary wildly and qty 100 bullets is the amount you buy to 'try out' a new bullet.

I reload .40 for 14 cents a round, $14 for 100, less than half price.
I get all my bullets from montana gold.
Most LEO use .40 now and they tend to leave their brass, so when you see police shooting, so snag their brass when they leave.

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
Lee 4-Hole Turret.

It isn't the fastest in the world, but IMO it is the best for the small amout of $$$ it takes to get up and running. I reload to save $$$, so dropping a ton of it on the blue stuff won't help me much.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts