Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am amazed at all the nice looking guns here. Are these legal? What kind of paperwork did you guys do to buy these? I don't see these types of assault weapons at my local range here.

·
Registered
469 Posts
? lol regular transfar of firearms paperwork thats about it.

i have my CCW license so its perty much a breeze when everything is legit.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Standard BATF NICS form in Ohio is all you need to purchase semi-auto pistols, rifles, shot guns including semi auto tactical rifles which you are refering to as assault weapons. Short barrel rifles and shotguns along will full auto can be purchased with additional forms, local LEO and BATF approval and proper tax stamps.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I am amazed at all the nice looking guns here. Are these legal? What kind of paperwork did you guys do to buy these? I don't see these types of assault weapons at my local range here.
Where do you live?

·
Registered
315 Posts
just the regular paperwork u would fill out to buy a pistol for about 99% of these.

·
Registered
29,763 Posts
Same here.

Some of my EBR's have required me to show my MN Permit to Purchase handguns & "assault weapons", some have not.

Beyond that, just the usual yellow form.

·
Banned
16 Posts
I think it's pretty much the same thing for everyone, only difference is you gotta follow some strict guidelines since you live in California.

Who is this?

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where do you live?
I am from Asia, came over here on a student Visa but now working here. I live in California now. I don't see any of these types of assault weapons at the gun stores here. How much do these guns cost? Do you have to carry permits to own them?

·
Registered
29,763 Posts
I am from Asia, came over here on a student Visa but now working here. I live in California now. I don't see any of these types of assault weapons at the gun stores here. How much do these guns cost? Do you have to carry permits to own them?
And you won't see them in CA, due to some draconian gun laws.

As for carry permits, it depends on which state you live in.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts

I live in CA as well. It is harder to get in CA, but it is still possible. I don't know about people on Visa's owning them, but yeah, these are all legal weapons. CA lawmakers are afraid of these "Evil Black Rifles" as they like to call them. Where in CA are you? I go to the range quite often and could bring a few to shoot.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got to shoot an XD45 and love it, that's how I found this forum. But after visiting here I like this AR section the best because of all the cool looking equipment and guns you guys have. So these guns are not legal in California?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Some of them can be. But they have to be build in a special configuration to make them legal. :rolleyes:

They can be owned in CA. But just not with all of the same features. And probably not by someone here on a visa.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I live in CA as well. It is harder to get in CA, but it is still possible. I don't know about people on Visa's owning them, but yeah, these are all legal weapons. CA lawmakers are afraid of these "Evil Black Rifles" as they like to call them. Where in CA are you? I go to the range quite often and could bring a few to shoot.
That is very kind of you. I live Fremont. I went to the range in Milpitas and I was amazed at all the guns they have. But they don't have any cool looking stuff like you guys have.

Are these AR's hard to shoot? How much practice does it take before you can hit something at about 100 yards?

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some of them can be. But they have to be build in a special configuration to make them legal. :rolleyes:

They can be owned in CA. But just not with all of the same features. And probably not by someone here on a visa.
I am on a H1B Visa now for the next 5 years. Then after 2 more years I can get my green card. Will I be able to own one with a green card? What kind of special configuration do you have to do to make it possible to own these in CA?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I got to shoot an XD45 and love it, that's how I found this forum. But after visiting here I like this AR section the best because of all the cool looking equipment and guns you guys have. So these guns are not legal in California?
In CA we have a points system. Too many points and the gun is not legal. Points go to:Flash suppresor, detachable magazine, pistol grip, vertical foregrips, collapsible buttstock. If you have a detacable box magazine you basically can't have anything else. But with the help of a Prince50 or a Bullet Button it locks in the magazine. Then you can have any evil feature you want. There are a few places in CA that sell legal AR's with those prince50 or bulletbuttons installed. Coldwar shooters, Lan World inc, and Ten Percent Firearms. Also, because of the old assault ban we have "lowers" the part that has the serial number on it, on a ban list. Colt is on that list. But others, OLL's Off List Lowers, such as stag, rock river arms, S&W, DPMS, Bushmaster, are not on the list. So those are OLL's.

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
In CA we have a points system. Too many points and the gun is not legal. Points go to:Flash suppresor, detachable magazine, pistol grip, vertical foregrips, collapsible buttstock. If you have a detacable box magazine you basically can't have anything else. But with the help of a Prince50 or a Bullet Button it locks in the magazine. Then you can have any evil feature you want. There are a few places in CA that sell legal AR's with those prince50 or bulletbuttons installed. Coldwar shooters, Lan World inc, and Ten Percent Firearms. Also, because of the old assault ban we have "lowers" the part that has the serial number on it, on a ban list. Colt is on that list. But others, OLL's Off List Lowers, such as stag, rock river arms, S&W, DPMS, Bushmaster, are not on the list. So those are OLL's.
Only CA has these special rules right? So the magazine has to be locked in? Do you have a key to unlock them?

Evil feature? what is that? pistol grip and the other stuff you mentioned in the first sentence?

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Only CA has these special rules right? So the magazine has to be locked in? Do you have a key to unlock them?

Evil feature? what is that? pistol grip and the other stuff you mentioned in the first sentence?
Yes, but with the locked in magazine you can have the others. Google those two mag locks I told you about, the Prince50 and the Bullet Button. One uses a allen wrench, the other the tip of a bullet. The thing about the allen wrench though, is once lossened the button can be pushed without the allen wrench, so that one is iffy, but the bullet button is solid, you need the bullet tip every time.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Florida - 'the gunshine state' :mrgreen:

·
Banned
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes, but with the locked in magazine you can have the others. Google those two mag locks I told you about, the Prince50 and the Bullet Button. One uses a allen wrench, the other the tip of a bullet. The thing about the allen wrench though, is once lossened the button can be pushed without the allen wrench, so that one is iffy, but the bullet button is solid, you need the bullet tip every time.
Thank You for the information. I just saw the youtube video. The one that requires a bullet tip seems to be much easier. How come the XD does not require the Prince or Bullet Button?

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
In CA we have a points system.
In Louisiana we have a sort of points system too, we call it the money system.... every part of the rifle costs money... if you don't have enough points aka "Money" you can't get it...

If you have a large bankroll (and possibly the patience to wait for forms to come in and clear) and can afford just about anything... well, you can buy anything. Full auto... short barreled rifles... yeah.

Draw lines on the map of the US into three equal vertical sections. Now, cut it into three equal horizontal sections. Now, scratch out the top two rows... Drive to the inside of the three remaining squares and buy a house. Those are really the only important states anyways... :)

haha...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts