Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of group size should I be "shooting for" at 7 yards, 50 feet and 25 yards with my XD40 SC? I've done most of my shooting at 7 yards using a target with a 2 inch bullseye with my best 3 groups being .92", .97" and 1.22".

My best groups at 50 feet 1.8" (really lucky on this one, I think), 3", 3.4" and 3.65".

Best groups at 25 yards, 2.5" from a rest and 3.5" offhand. I haven't shot much at 25 yards but my other groups haven't been very good and the groupings are 6-7 inches high whereas at 7 yards the sights are dead on.

I've used the same, 2" bullseye targets for all ranges. I'm thinking maybe a 6 inch bullseye might be better for 50 feet and 25 yards. At 25 yards a 2" dot is pretty small and I don't think gives the best sight picture.

With a 6 o'clock hold, my groups are about an inch high at 7 yards, 4 inches high at 50 feet (using a 2 inch bull) and six inches high at 25 yards (using a 2 inch bull). If I went to a 6 inch bull, using the 6 o'clock hold, my groups at 50 feet and 25 yards would drop more towards the center of the bull. I'm still having trouble wrapping my brain around why it shoots almost dead on at 7 yards and is 7 inches high at 25 yards when the manual states that the gun is sighted in at 25 yards.

WyoBob

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
This should make you feel good! LOL

At 7-8 yards if I really concentrate my groups are about 3". At 25 yards I get eight out of 10 inside the 5 ring... So you are shooting pretty well in my book!

Raymond

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
what groups should you be getting? Depends on what you want to practice for. I used to shoot for very small groups myself and thought I was doing really well. Then I got into competition and found out that speed an accuracy placed in a stressful situation (competing) is what matters. It used to be I would take my time shooting very small goups, now I practice shooting small groups at different ranges using a minimal amount of target exposure to my sight picture. In other words, practice pulling your gun up and aquiring a GOOD sight picture as fast as possible and doing double taps on the target. Try to make both first and second shots aimed shots.

You have the best basics, good sight picture and deciplined trigger control, now put it together with another aspect.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Captain Ray said:
This should make you feel good! LOL
At 7-8 yards if I really concentrate my groups are about 3". At 25 yards I get eight out of 10 inside the 5 ring... So you are shooting pretty well in my book!
Raymond
Thanks, Raymond. It's been a long time since I shot a handgun. In my mind, I used to be able to shoot tighter groups with my 44 Ruger flat top. I found a couple of targets from 1974. One target was shot with some cast bullets at 25 yards off a rest and a four shot group was 1.54" . The first shot is marked "from clean and cold barrell" and it increased the group size to 3.5". My 240 gr Hornady hunting loads with 20 gr of 2400 grouped 4 shots at 1.8" with one flyer taking the groups size out to 2.94". This was fired from a rest, as well.

After a long time away from shooting, I bought the XD and started shooting again. I just remembered being a better shot. But, the Ruger is a single action with a very nice trigger and a 6 1/2 inch barrell. I'm now shooting a gun with a much heavier and rougher trigger and half the sight radius. I guess the bottom line is that I'm expecting too much out of the XD.

WyoBob

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ichy_trigger said:
what groups should you be getting? Depends on what you want to practice for. I used to shoot for very small groups myself and thought I was doing really well. Then I got into competition and found out that speed an accuracy placed in a stressful situation (competing) is what matters. It used to be I would take my time shooting very small goups, now I practice shooting small groups at different ranges using a minimal amount of target exposure to my sight picture. In other words, practice pulling your gun up and aquiring a GOOD sight picture as fast as possible and doing double taps on the target. Try to make both first and second shots aimed shots.

You have the best basics, good sight picture and deciplined trigger control, now put it together with another aspect.
That's my next step, ichy. I've started working on it already. A couple of days ago, I cut out some 6 inch dia. white targets and taped 5 of them horizontally to stimulate the metal disc shooting I tried last week. Then I shot for speed. That's a lot of fun but it will take me a lot of practice to get good and, that's a good thing.

Thanks, WyoBob

·
Registered
388 Posts
WyoBob said:
What kind of group size should I be "shooting for" at 7 yards, 50 feet and 25 yards with my XD40 SC? I've done most of my shooting at 7 yards using a target with a 2 inch bullseye with my best 3 groups being .92", .97" and 1.22".
How many shots were in each group? I shoot 0.00" 1-shot groups all the time, but my 20-shot groups tend to be a bit larger.

This morning's range session yielded just under a 2.50" group of 35 shots at distances from 7-10 yards (kept patching the target). I was rather displeased, but it's only my second time out with the Ameriglo Speed Rings. Practice helped, as later 5-shot, 10-yard groups were hovering around 0.75".

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
stealthsniper said:
How many shots were in each group? I shoot 0.00" 1-shot groups all the time, but my 20-shot groups tend to be a bit larger.
This morning's range session yielded just under a 2.50" group of 35 shots at distances from 7-10 yards (kept patching the target). I was rather displeased, but it's only my second time out with the Ameriglo Speed Rings. Practice helped, as later 5-shot, 10-yard groups were hovering around 0.75".
I usually shoot 5 or 6 shots for groups. Heck, the more shots I fire, the greater the the risk that the group size will increase :D
Are the Ameriglo Speed rings the rear peep style? If so, my interest in those just increased quite a bit. I'd sure be plumb tickled with 10 yard groups of .75". Wow. Plus, I bet those sights would be great for steel plate shooting.

WyoBob

·
Registered
471 Posts
Bob,

If you are shoooting for bulleyes you aren't doing too bad.

Have you participated in any IDPA or IPSC matches? They will teach you what "practical" accuracy is. I think its better to have 3 inch groups and doing it quick, than 1/2 inch groups and take a minute to get a shot off.

Alos, for bullseye shooting, you can choose a better weapon than a semi-auto pistol.

-Dana

·
Registered
116 Posts
Those are better groups then I get...are you shooting bench rested?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I think Dana about hit it. It's a combat weapon. When someone is running at you from 20 feet, 12" groups are golden.

You must have the magic finger though...I could hardly hit a paper plate at 15 yards.

·
Registered
415 Posts
What kind of group size should I be "shooting for"
Anti-gun groups!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DanaT said:
Have you participated in any IDPA or IPSC matches? They will teach you what "practical" accuracy is. I think its better to have 3 inch groups and doing it quick, than 1/2 inch groups and take a minute to get a shot off.-Dana
Dana, There's no IDPA or IPSC matches close by. I live in north central Wyoming. There's not much of anything close by. Just the way I like it :D I'll continue to practice faster shooting on my 6 inch discs at 7 yards and other ranges.

Thanks, WyoBob

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TheMaineMan said:
Those are better groups then I get...are you shooting bench rested?
All the groups in the first post were two hand hold, offhand but the one bench rest group mentioned ( 25 yards, 2.5" from a rest)

WyoBob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts