Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this past weekend I was at the range shooting my XDM 5.25" 9mm. I was putting cci blazer aluminum 124gr ammo through it. I brought 200 rounds with me. During my range time, there was a 3-Some to the left of me shooting mainly a rifle with .30 caliber rounds and a guy shooting a shotgun about 7 lanes down (Supposed to be slugs only).

Well about half way through shooting, I placed my weapon down with the slide racked in the open position with the chamber empty. I had 2 of my magazines on the bench to the side while I loaded the 3rd when all of a sudden I get hit with a piece of debris in the stomach. It didn't cause a lot of pain, but it did cause some. Enough to leave a welt and break the skin a little bit w/out putting a hole in my shirt and under shirt. The debris bounced off and landed on the bench. Upon inspection it appeared to be similar in color and size of one of my 9mm casings, however it was almost like it was torn in half making almost a "C" with very sharp edges. I honestly have no clue where this came from or if it was even one of my casings. In hind sight I wish I would have taken the debris with me and at least brought it to the range masters attention.

Has something like this happened to anyone else at the range before?

·
Registered
29,830 Posts
Probably a piece of jacket; somebody hit something hard (steel targets?) and it spattered.

No big deal, really. Shoot long enough, and your going to eat some splatter.

This is why we wear eye protection...

·
Premium Member
11,243 Posts
Shoot long enough, and your going to eat some splatter.

This is why we wear eye protection...
You beat me to it. It's not an "if" but a "when" this'll happen.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is what I figured, but just figured I'd ask. Glad I didn't go down yelling "I'm Hit I'm Hit" ;)

·
Premium Member
7,075 Posts
That is what I figured, but just figured I'd ask. Glad I didn't go down yelling "I'm Hit I'm Hit" ;)
I was tempted to yell that the first time it happened to me too. LOL

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
First time you get hit is always a little scary.
The wife's first gun was a little inter-tec Scorpion .22 pistol with a 2 inch barrel and a 20 round mag.
Got hit with ricochets twice from that gun. Both times the round hit me in the chest.
One time I looked down and there was the bullet, Still hot when I picket it up.

Wife got rid of that thing and got S&W model 422. She still has that pistol 20 plus years later.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
As everyone stated, ricochets are pretty common. Everyone catches one eventually. While not exactly the same, the above comment reminded me of an embarrassing incident last year.

I was shooting with some friends and was standing a good distance behind the shooting line talking with one of the guys. Another friend was shooting a Mini-14, and I'm hearing shots behind me but not really paying attention to it. Immediately following a BOOM I feel something smack me in the side of the face. My mind immediately went to the worst possible scenario. I'm thinking I just got shot. I immediately start screaming like a little girl and clawing at my face looking for blood. Lol. No blood, I was fine but it took me about 5 seconds to realize that.
It turns out my buddy's Mini-14 launches brass about 20 feet, and one finally hit me. I seriously thought I was going to die. While I'm still trying to "stop the bleeding," my friends are rolling on the ground laughing. I still catch a lot of crap from my friends for that. Once my heart started back up, I saw the humor too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I was shooting in a local match several months ago and had something come back and hit me in the forehead. It was a stage that had bowling pins set up on a table and you had to knock them all completely off the table.

I was never able to tell what it was but it scared the crap out me and left a big red mark on my forehead. lol Needless to say, I broke the shooting line and the RSO yelling at me but when you think you shot yourself in the head all that seems pretty irrelevant!

·
Registered
29,830 Posts
I learned the hard way about plated bullets my very first carry qualification; I was shooting Blazer Aluminum, and the backstop was just sloped armor plate.

The final stage was at 10'...I had a chunk of jacket come back and cut my lip. My target had numerous "additional wounds" from fragments...

·
Registered
9,649 Posts
Go dove hunting in a busy field. You get peppered all day. It's a part of the game.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts