Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry a stream light triple a flashlight that works well, and own a full size rechargeable stream light. Both are great products. I love the full size due to being a rechargeable flashlight with no issues. It was run over while working in the truck shop by a semi truck steer tire. It still works !

I wanted to get a smaller rechargeable flashlight. The strion model stream light was perfect except price is way too much.

What do you carry and what's a similar flashlight to the strion I should look for?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Reactions: knochen and b3t0

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
I have a Fenix LD15 on my key ring. I'm a big streamlight fan and love my old school stinger. Looking for the LED upgrade. I really like the Fenix line of lights.

·
Registered
192 Posts
AAA mini mag LED. I tried surefire and streamlight and for my needs, the size and the AAA rechargeable batteries I use, this is a perfect light.

Chris

·
Registered
622 Posts
A cheap $3.00 light I got on Ebay if i loose it at a customers house no big deal -

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I carry the Streamlight Pro Tac 2L with rechargeable CR123 batteries. The new models are 260 lumens on high. I bought 4 batteries and a charger on ebay for $28. If you check the price of throwaway CR123 batteries that us about 4 battery changes or less.

Product Listing

Card Tenergy 4 Pcs Rechargeable CR123A 3 0V Batteries Li ion Smart Charger eBay
I like that one a lot! I have been stuck on stream lights. Didn't know about the charger and battery's for 25$. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
I carry the Streamlight Pro Tac 2L with rechargeable CR123 batteries. The new models are 260 lumens on high. I bought 4 batteries and a charger on ebay for $28. If you check the price of throwaway CR123 batteries that us about 4 battery changes or less.

Product Listing

Card Tenergy 4 Pcs Rechargeable CR123A 3 0V Batteries Li ion Smart Charger eBay

I carry a Fenix TK10. 225 lumens on high. A little larger than I would like it to be, but since I wear cargo pants mostly, I carry it in the side cargo pocket.

I use the non-rechargeable Tenergy batteries and usually buy them by the 20 pack on Amazon for a little over $1.00 each. They are just as good as the brand name batteries.

I may have to check into the rechargeable Tenergy ones that spxdsc40 listed. I also have a JetBeam M1X that takes 4 CR123 batteries and puts out 700 lumens, so I go through quite a few batteries.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I always at least have a 4Sevens Preon1 on my keychain with me at all times. When I'm at work in suit pants (can't carry because work is in DC!) that is all I have, though I do also have a SureFire G2 in my backpack. When wearing jeans/cargo pants and/or carrying I also have a 4Sevens AA2 in clipped to my right side pocket.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
^ If you're going to use rechargable RCR123s, be sure that the light you're going to use it in can utilize those cells.

I've been a flashlight collector for about 15 years now, so I have a lot of older stuff that utilizes CR123 primaries as well as tactical/weapon-lights that use CR123s. Given the shelf-life of CR123 primaries, I also favor them for emergency needs in our home and vehicles. This in-turn means that when I purchase cheaper (that's "cheaper" relative to a flashlight collector's budget for flashlights, OK? :wink:) "walking the dog" lights, I tend to also favor CR123 lights - and that the "decommissioned," older tactical lights are rotated into this category. :) With some of the walking-the-dog lights and various LED-drop-in conversions, RCR123s will make the light "go," but not all modes will work/work properly - here's a great primer: Basic Flashlight Tutorial - An Introduction to High Performance Flashlights

Also, if your light does not have a way of notifying you that it's running low on battery power, you'll want to keep a couple of spares charged and ready-to-go (or have a couple of primaries on-hand). With the rechargable RCR123s, depending on application, they can just poop-out with little warning.

·
Registered
192 Posts
^
Also, if your light does not have a way of notifying you that it's running low on battery power, you'll want to keep a couple of spares charged and ready-to-go (or have a couple of primaries on-hand). With the rechargable RCR123s, depending on application, they can just poop-out with little warning.
Now this is something I have not researched and might look at. A good CR123 with a low battery notification would be nice

Chris

·
Registered
7,652 Posts
^ I keep primaries in my vehicles' emergency-kit lights, so that's not an issue, especially as I replace them on a cycle that's well within their "expiration dates" - this is easy for me, as we lease our vehicles (out of convenience), and I can replace them on the lease-end clean-out cycle. :)

The same goes with my SD (EDC) and HD lights. The former I tend to use enough that I change when I perceive decreased output (LEDs have given me much more leeway between the time when I perceive dimming and when the light becomes non-usable), while the latter I change on a yearly basis and rotate the batteries into my EDCs.

My "walking the dog" lights really get the brunt of true use, so I tend to burn through batteries relatively quickly - and here's where having a rechargeable really pays off via long-term cost. Having a light that tells you it's about time to change batteries really is helpful in terms of not having to worry about having a light to see if that black blob down the block is a cat or a skunk, and to pick up after the dog. :lol: I used to carry a second light in my pocket just in case the batteries died.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
This is my edc light. 6 d cells really aren't as heavy as everyone makes them out to be. Really. You get used to the weight! Inside the waistband carry seems to work best for me at around 1:00. It's also a real confidence booster. I must get a dozen compliments every day from the ladies about how large my package is.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Fenix E11. Single AA, small, fits in pocket well, has momentary tail switch, bright enough to do its work.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
This is my edc light. 6 d cells really aren't as heavy as everyone makes them out to be. Really. You get used to the weight! Inside the waistband carry seems to work best for me at around 1:00. It's also a real confidence booster. I must get a dozen compliments every day from the ladies about how large my package is.
Couple that with a G34 and an ESEE Junglas and you've got everything covered.

1 - 20 of 180 Posts