• 500 to 1 gig

• 1.5 gig to 2 gig

• 2 gig to 2.5 gig

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently running a (sniff sniff) :oops: 500 mgz amd :oops: :oops: and about 450 to 500 on memory running on win 98 :oops:

Most days I want to shoot this thing it is so sooooo ssslloooowwwwww. I typed my fastest in high school 20 years ago and that was about 30 - 40 words a minute. I currently can type faster then the computer can keep up. Yes the "start menu" is unclogged of junk. and I only have one short cut on the desktop (to xd forum).

I plan on buying myself a new computer soon, just trying to decide if I want to build it, have my computer guy build it or just buy something from sams club. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.

I currently have 3 computers networked with this one as my main link to the dsl and printer. I will probably keep it that way and just move it to another location, if I can.

I just need to know how fast is fsat enough for what I do. Not a computer gamer, no cad. I Just use email, pictures, word, quicken, and printmaster for our business's.

I know that if my computer guy builds it, he will set it up right right from the start. If I build it it will be some trial and error. But if I buy it from the store i know that most of those computers are loaded with a bunch of junk that slows it down. but, its instant gratification.

·
Registered
278 Posts
For what you need, your computer is probably enough. Here's the question...was it always that slow, or has it happened over time? If it can't keep up with your typing, that's not the processors fault. Its sounds like your system might be clogged with virus/spyware junk. Very, very common these days.

I'd highly recommend backing up all of your work, and then doing a fresh HD wipe and Win98 reinstall. I bet you'll be amazed!

I even ran WinXP on a PIII 450mhz for years just fine.

If you need any help/advice, let me know.

If you are determined to buy a new one, I'd stay away from HP, eMachines, etc. Before I started building my own I was always a big fan of Dell.

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
No matter how fast your computer is windows and websites can and will make it creep along. Just buy a cheap piece of junk and go with their flow for cheap.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I just build all my own from the ground up.

It's fun (as well as frustrating at times).

Best part is understanding the ins and outs of the system, and knowing when/what to upgrade.

Worst part is....
not being able to really blame anyone else.

·
Premium Member
3,598 Posts
SpeedRacer said:
I'd stay away from HP, eMachines, etc. Before I started building my own I was always a big fan of Dell.

I've had a compaq and by brother has had a HP for years. Everybody has problems once in a while but it's not a reason to color a brand bad. Granted there not the best but not the worst. E machines is the worst. I sold them and they have woefully underpowered power supplies, plus the power supplies are junk.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
bryan.tonya said:
SpeedRacer said:
I'd stay away from HP, eMachines, etc. Before I started building my own I was always a big fan of Dell.

I've had a compaq and by brother has had a HP for years. Everybody has problems once in a while but it's not a reason to color a brand bad. Granted there not the best but not the worst. E machines is the worst. I sold them and they have woefully underpowered power supplies, plus the power supplies are junk.
As I type away a response on my EMACHINES.

The little guy has done a good job for me.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Don't rag on the emachines!! I bought a 400Mhz Intel Celeron Emachine back in 1999 for $400 brand new, along w. a refurbished monitor. Its still sitting in the living room desk, whiring away w/ Win98. It can run Firefox and IE. It does what it needs to. I'm not a gamer so the slowness doesn't really bother me. However, I'm typing away on my nifty, tiny little 1.2Ghz Intel pentium M. dell 700m notebook.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
All branded computers have thier issues,,, its kinda like the whole chevy vs ford thing .

I say if you have the time and know how build one. Its fun and nice to be able to upgrade your system when you want to unlike with a branded system you are limitedin the upgrades.

otherwise just spend the cash and buy one .... unless you are a poweruser or hardcore gamer a store bought system should work fine for you.

·
Registered
823 Posts
ROFLMAO!!!

When I got my first computer, its clock speed was 2MHz, that's TWO MegaHertz, and some of us discovered we could overclock by changing out the clock crystal for a faster one.

And my first modem was 300 bits per second. Of course I could have had a 150, but I was holding out for new technology to come along.

And yes I still know Morse Code. :lol:

·
Registered
287 Posts
My test system is a 2.2 ghz amd 64 bit processor and my desktop system is a
2.82 ghz intel p4.

a long way for the 4.77 mhz machine I started with.. and jim my first moden was a us robotics 300 baud moden and it cost a small fortune...

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
JimLongley said:
ROFLMAO!!!

When I got my first computer, its clock speed was 2MHz, that's TWO MegaHertz, and some of us discovered we could overclock by changing out the clock crystal for a faster one.

And my first modem was 300 bits per second. Of course I could have had a 150, but I was holding out for new technology to come along.

And yes I still know Morse Code. :lol:

-.-- --- ..-
-- ..- ... -
-... .
--- .-.. -.. . .-.
- .... .- -.
-.. .. .-. -

.-.-.-

-... -..
:p

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I'm sure this isn't news to everyone here, but clock speed alone doesn't make your CPU fast. I'm running a P4 2.8GHz and 1GB of RAM, which is really only middle-of-the-road these days. :shock:

·
Registered
130 Posts
Intel P4 2.8 Ghz 800FSB
1GB DDR3200 dual channel
80GB HD 7200rpm 8MB cache
60GB HD 7200rpm 2MB cache
ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB
Audigy 2ZS sound card
19" monitor + 17" monitor
Logitech MX Duo wireless keyboard and mouse
Logitech 5.1 surround speakers
Thermaltek heatsink and fan
Antec SOHO full tower case with window
Enermax 460W PS
Logitech Quickcam pro 4000
16x DVD+/- dual layer burner
52X CD Burner
:shock:

·
Registered
823 Posts
bd said:
-.-- --- ..-
-- ..- ... -
-... .
--- .-.. -.. . .-.
- .... .- -.
-.. .. .-. -

.-.-.-

-... -..[/size] :p

--.- ... .-..
. ...
..-. . . .-..
. ...- . .-. -.--
-... .. -
--- ..-.
.. -

--... ...--
-.. .
-.- ..... -. .-. .-

Cool call huh?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Started with a Compac with a 75mhz 486DX2, 8 megs of ram, onboard 14.4 modem, onboard video, on board sound, 14" monitor, 4x CD rom, crappy stereo speakers and Windows 95.

I now have..
AMD 64 3700+ socket 939
Abit Fatal1ty Nforce4 SLI motherboard
2 gigs (2 sets) of Kingston DDR 3200 dual channel
2 120 gig SATA Maxtor HDDs in a raid 1 config.
2 BFG Tech 256mb GeForce 7800GT 16x PCI express cards in an SLI config.
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Logitec 5.1 speakers
Logitec cordless elite mouse and keyboard
Logitec cordless freedom 2.4 joystick
Sony Dual Layer DVD burner
17" monitor for web browsing and switch to my 30" philips widescreen HDTV when I game.
Windows XP pro. OS

Can you tell what mine's built for? :lol:

Everytime I upgrade the old stuff goes in the old ladys PC. So shes working with tech from at most 2yrs ago.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hytekblue said:
bd said:
JimLongley said:
Cool call huh?
Yes Sir!

I'd say you do have some time in to get that one.

bd
though I am not older than dirt i did get it.
Took me awhile but I got it also. I always thought morse code was cool, never learned it, wanted to, but never did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts