Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the mag catch on my XD9 last night and I'm have a heck of a time trying to re-install it. Is there a trick to getting the mag catch, spring and button re-assembled? I can't get the spring aligned with the catch so that I can get the pin back in.

Cheers,

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Put the frame into a vise or something else to hold it. have the dustcover pointed towards you and a light shining from the top down into the magwell/grip area. Then push a punch in from the left side intil it is even with the inside of the frame. Then on the right side insert the mag release pin until it is flush with the inside of the frame. Insert the release button and align the cut out facing the rear. Take a pair of needle nosed pliers (this keeps you fingers from blocking the light still allowing you to see what you are doing) grip the top of release with the nub facing to the rear and the triangle portion and holes towards you. Then align the the release with the punch and push it in until it is flush with the inside of the release. Then align the release with the pin and push it in until it is flush with the inside of the release. Now use the pliers and grip the spring by the 90 degree bent portion (the bent portion is aligned towards the left or ejection port side of the pistol) insert the spring until you get some resistance, then use a small jewlers screwdriver and help push the coil portion of the spring down into place until the left side of the coils aligns enough so that the punch can be pushed in to catch the spring. Push the spring down some more and insert the punch though the coils until the punch touches the pin on the right side. Now take a small hammer and tap the pin in gently as you tap the pin in it will push the punch out and your done assembling.

·
Registered
342 Posts
james knows everything about putting these guns back together.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but with the "search" function seeming to be non-cooperative and the hacker getting to delete a lot of information, I am not so sure that I couldn't spend a lot of hours looking and STILL not get answers to a lot of questions about thorough cleaning and disassembly of the XD.

I field strip and clean my XD pretty much after every time I shoot it. I like doing it. I would probably like completely disassembling the entire gun to really clean it well occasionally. And James' instructions are really great. Very clear and very comprehensive. Yet still, I am intimidated by the thought.. And I don't know if I have all the correct tools (IIRC, the page that lists "Safety and tools required and parts list" is blank).

I would be pretty upset if I took the gun apart and could not get it back together. (I'm sure anyone would be).

I recall (before the hack I think) reading somewhere on XD-Talk something to the effect of soaking the entire gun in kerosene to get all the small internal parts clean. Is that correct? Can you just submerge the entire gun and then let it dry? Or is an ultrasonic cleaner necessary?

And lastly...how often (or how many rounds) is appropriate between detailed cleanings?

Thanks James (and/or anyone who responds)!

Peace,
D.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i took mine out once and never will i take it back out again

took like 2 hours to put it back together

what i did was cut a little peace of close hanger made a small pin half the size of the original pin then i taped the spring in place then i super glued the pin i made threw the black peace of steel and spring this keep the spring from moving when i would press on it to line up the holes
then i just taped on the original pin knocking the little pin i super glued out

this was the easiest way i could think of to get that dam thing back together

·
Registered
168 Posts
Delija
I recall (before the hack I think) reading somewhere on XD-Talk something to the effect of soaking the entire gun in kerosene to get all the small internal parts clean. Is that correct? Can you just submerge the entire gun and then let it dry? Or is an ultrasonic cleaner necessary?

i dont see it hurting the gun at all to soak the entire gun in kerosene it should get it clean

i might get flamed for saying this but when i dont fell like field striping my glocks to clean them i just take the slide off the barrel and the guide rod out and just put every thing in the dishwasher never tried with my xd yet
never had a problem with my glocks and they come out very clean

as a matter of fact I am going to go and try it right now I will let everyone know how it works

hope the frame don’t melt I will put that on the top shelf

·
Registered
401 Posts
I thought I would be the only person here that would have know what vegemite was.
mulder

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Well if anyone ever has any troubles getting their xd`s back together they can always give me a call, I have talked several dozen people back together. They could even call the toll free number and then I could call them back.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Next time I have a reason to do so (Bar-Sto trigger bar tutorial?) I'll probably go ahead and do a complete video how-to (Based off of Jame's disassembly instructions, no doubt) on assembly and re-assembly. Will probably take a while though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again James!

I may give you a ring if I can't get the mag catch back together soon. I haven't had the chance to try it yet. Is it necessary or would it help at all to remove the locking block in order to re-assemble the mag catch?

Cheers,

Jack

·
Registered
298 Posts
I had trouble putting mine back in (yes I followed ajames instructions). I finally ended up doing everything by his instructions EXCEPT I didn't put the mag release button in until the catch, spring and pins were in place. I then reached inside, pushed the inside catch from the top and the button slipped right in. I'll never take it out again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts