Springfield XD Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,655 Posts
Smallest I’ll carry are either my Colt 1908 .25 or my .22WMR NAA revolver.

And they’ve been my primary from time to time.
This!!

If I go to a place that doesn't allow it, it is really hard to see my NAA .22Mag.

·
Registered
29,565 Posts
This!!

If I go to a place that doesn't allow it, it is really hard to see my NAA .22Mag.
I’m not saying that you can slip one by metal detectors at a non-super secure venue (say, a concert or sporting event) by putting it behind your belt buckle and flashing a joint replacement card.

I’d never do such a thing.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
My BUG is a S&W 340sc air lite .357mag, it weighs 12oz empty.
It isn't a range gun but I put a cylinder or two through it each range trip to stay proficient with it. As long as I can hit 6" plates at 10yds with it, I'm happy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I picked up a taurus 856 ultralight 38 spl about a month ago and really like it for pocket carry. It is a bit thicker than my shield but is about a quarter pound lighter and that makes a big difference. I had a kahr cm40 for some time also but 40 s&w sd ammo in such a small and light weight gun made it a bit of a handful if you care about quick accurate follow up shots.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The Ruger LCP and LCPII . I carry the LCP when I am making short trips to the parts store and grocery store. They are 9.6 ounces and will fit in the pocket of my shorts with the supplied pocket holster that comes with it. They are very inexspenisive and reliable. Academy Sports has the Ruger LCP right now for $199 . That is hard to beat !

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
ive tried those tiny pocketguns but they all jamomatic for me. same guns ran great for the womenfolk i guess cuzza ther smaller hands. one finger grip aint defensive tastic fer me.

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Up until just about 7 or 8 yrs ago I carried an East German-made Makarov in 9x18 Mak.
That was more of a statement of my disdain for the "new" plasti-guns than a vote of confidence for the caliber. Plus, the E German Maks are beautiful and well made/finished as you would expect from Germany (vs Russia).

Now I carry a .40 Walther PPS "Classic" (aka M1)... 6+1 Federal HSTs w a spare 7 rd mag is about as small as I'd go. But, as the saying goes: "The best gun to use is the one you have".

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Lots of cats "admitting" to packing a .380 (LCP) here.

I'll openly admit to the fact that I consider a small, defensive, handgun as a GTF OFF OF ME weapon... almost a distraction vs a killing device as there may be more work to be done after the initial shots are fired (in either direction).

Yes, the purpose of a defensive firearm is to stop an attack. To that end a .380 should work.... maybe.

Maybe I'm all wrong. But am I alone in viewing the force escalation that leads to shots fired is, quite possibly, only the beginning vs the fight-ender?

·
Registered
29,565 Posts
Lots of cats "admitting" to packing a .380 (LCP) here.

I'll openly admit to the fact that I consider a small, defensive, handgun as a GTF OFF OF ME weapon... almost a distraction vs a killing device as there may be more work to be done after the initial shots are fired (in either direction).

Yes, the purpose of a defensive firearm is to stop an attack. To that end a .380 should work.... maybe.

Maybe I'm all wrong. But am I alone in viewing the force escalation that leads to shots fired is, quite possibly, only the beginning vs the fight-ender?
I guess there’s two ways of looking at that...

One is to look at the big picture; that being...in the vast majority of non-LE defensive gun use events, simply producing the gun ends the situation. Of those that require shots fired...many end with no hits made...and most of those that require hits will be over in under three shots fired, regardless of caliber.

In short, events that require multiple, heavy-caliber hits are few and far between...and extended defensive gun battles are the veritable jackpot of jackpots.

But, there’s the other way of looking at it...which is, if I’m gonna hit the jackpot bad day and have to draw that weapon...might as well be ready for the Powerball of defensive shootings.

I can go both ways on this, to be honest...and I think they’re both equally right.

At the end of the day, you gotta decide what you’re comfortable with.

For example, today I went to meet a guy about a gun trade...never met him, deal made over Armslist. There were gonna be two guns there for certain, as well as cash...I packed a S&W 640 with 5 shots of .357 in one pocket, and a S&W 351 with 7 shots of .22WMR in another. I had no worries about it, at all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you want something super small super light and yet plenty of knockdown power I suggest a 9 mm Smith & Wesson shield it's an awesome pistol. It truly is and I've owned many minigun

·
Registered
892 Posts
If you want something super small super light and yet plenty of knockdown power I suggest a 9 mm Smith & Wesson shield it's an awesome pistol. It truly is and I've owned many minigun

I have the Shield performance center in .40 and the M2.0 .45 Shield with Crimson Trace integrated laser. Both are extremely concealable, accurate and well built. IMO they represent the top of the line CC pistol in their price range.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Around home and traveling through small town or rural area I usually carry my LCP in my back pocket (Recluse holster). Traveling or going to a lager city it is usually my Officer's Model 1911 or Springfield XDS and my LCP.

Padraig

21 - 40 of 63 Posts