Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to enhance my gun collection by adding to it an "invisible" "mouse gun." There are some times when even my EDC SIG P365 is too big/bulky/heavy.

On my short list are the Ruger LCP, the LCP II, Kel-Tec P-3AT, and Kel-Tec P32. I've looked at the Diamondback DB380 and the Taurus Spectrum, but I've heard reliability issues about both. I've discarded the notion of carrying any caliber less (.22x) and in fact, am struggling with the idea of .380. But there isn't a 9mm better than my P365 (in my opinion), so why bother?

So what do YOU carry, or consider carrying as a BUG? Not a primary, as I'm all set there.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
795 Posts
The smallest thing I carry is a Sig P290RS.

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Ever since someone here landed a Bersa Thunder .380 it's been whispering to me in my weak moments. Hickok45 likes it a lot, and I value his opinion and reviews.

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
I sometimes pocket carry an LCP 2, but the smallest was the Kahn 380.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sig P938. When I was on the market I wanted an SAS model but their triggers were inconsistent in feel so I bought a plain version that had a better trigger than the others I handled. Maybe this has been improved, or not.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
It's really not about anyone else, BlamBlam - it's about what you can shoot well (objective: i.e. measured standards using time/distance/target metric) and what you're "comfortable" shooting (subjective: i.e. confidence-level).

As the gun gets smaller - just as it gets larger and larger - there's going to be more and more emphasis necessary on just how that particular gun interfaces with that particular, unique, shooter. At some point, some critical ergonomic issues that cannot be corrected for with technique/training or even a hardware modification are going to arise that will make any one or another gun less usable or even completely untenable for that particular user...and this may not be the case for another shooter.

I'd try to find a range or store that has a large rental selection that covers the guns you're looking at - or ask to borrow those from your friends and family members (or even just to strike up a conversation at the range with the fellow in the adjacent stall) - and spend some money to shoot your intended defensive ammo in those specific guns, to see what works out for you.

As I wrote in another thread, I truly love the Glock 43, and I'm really not a Glock guy. :) That said, it wasn't available when I was wading in this part of the pool. Instead, I took out the Kahr PM9, the KelTec PF9, and later the Ruger LC9 for trial runs. The LC9 was just "meh" - I certainly could have lived with it - but putting a significant number of rounds through the PF9 felt like unpleasant work for me. The PM9 chewing through a 1K count case of ammo was "work," but it wasn't necessarily unpleasant, so that was where I settled. ;)

I still fancy that little Glock.....if I had the scratch, yeah, I'd get one.

I know you're looking to go even smaller - if I were in your shoes, I'd definitely want to get those puppies in my paws, and I'd definitely want to test them first-hand, live-fire.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
One gun is almost always in my pocket and has been for far too long, it is an FN 1906 Vest Pocket 6.35 cal that was made in 1912 or 1913 most likely.

Now everyone knows the 22Lr and 25acp and 32acp and 32 only serve to make folk mad if shot, I saw it on the internet and so it must be true.

But for us old farts that were around before 1967 remember that the small, easily concealed, small caliber handguns were not banned because they were unreliable or ineffective but because they were small, easily concealed, reliable and very effective. Oh, and maybe because the foreign made pocket pistols were selling like hot cakes and the US makers couldn't compete.

It's still totally reliable and I practice with it regularly. With the slide safety and grip safety I am comfortable carrying it even without a holster. It works well when held chest high and close to may body and holds 6 +1 rounds. It weighs almost nothing and I can't remember the last time I had a failure to feed or failure to eject.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I feel very comfortable and confident with my S&W 642 loaded up with underwood 158gr lswchp standard pressure. Slips in a pocket and though i havent put it on a scale I swear it cant be much heavier than my sebenza. Bonus... i shoot it well enough to take an eye out at 7 yds.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
To date, a Bersa BP9CC—but I would consider lighter/smaller. Particularly a 5-shot .38 Smith or Charter. My heirloom Colt Detective Special only goes to the range and is neither lighter nor smaller.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Call it one pound or lower, more or less. A flat gun in a wallet holster can be good for the back pocket (especially the all-metal RM380), a round gun is great in the front or jacket/coat pocket. All are small, but the revolvers don't really qualify as mice. Personally I have not felt a need for a backup though I appreciate the utility of being able to arm a friend in a tight spot, along with all the other good reasons.

Carry gun (without holster) Weight in ounces Rounds:
  • Kel-Tec P32 hornady custom-xtp 9.90 8
  • Ruger LCP II Fiocchi XTP JHP 90 Gr 13.00 7
  • Ruger LCR 5401 Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +p .38 Special 15.60 5
  • Remington RM380 Hornady CD 16.10 7
  • S&W 642 Airweight Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +p .38 Special 16.80 5
I have other mice in the 25-32 calibers, including several Seecamps, but I'd rather carry a locked breech pistol.

Then again, this Bauer could work :)
20161113_103438.jpg

·
Registered
18,573 Posts
Call it one pound or lower, more or less. A flat gun in a wallet holster can be good for the back pocket (especially the all-metal RM380), a round gun is great in the front or jacket/coat pocket. All are small, but the revolvers don't really qualify as mice. Personally I have not felt a need for a backup though I appreciate the utility of being able to arm a friend in a tight spot, along with all the other good reasons.

Carry gun (without holster) Weight in ounces Rounds:
  • Kel-Tec P32 hornady custom-xtp 9.90 8
  • Ruger LCP II Fiocchi XTP JHP 90 Gr 13.00 7
  • Ruger LCR 5401 Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +p .38 Special 15.60 5
  • Remington RM380 Hornady CD 16.10 7
  • S&W 642 Airweight Speer Gold Dot 135 gr +p .38 Special 16.80 5
I have other mice in the 25-32 calibers, including several Seecamps, but I'd rather carry a locked breech pistol.

Then again, this Bauer could work :)
View attachment 731147
So YOU'RE the guy who bought the Remington 380.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts