Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 16 rd mag larger in size than a 10 rd one?
Is it the spring that makes the difference?
Can I change the spring/follower to decrease the capacity of a 16 to 10?

I see that a 16 has more witness holes than a 10 but other than that ???

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
The 16 round mag is longer. It will work in a 10 round gun of the same cal but will stick out below the grip.

If you live in a 10 round max state, it is illegal to alter a 16 round mag to hold 10 rounds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you HoJo , the crease makes perfect sense.
I noticed that most vendors use the same picture for the 16 & 10 round mags which made it hard to see the difference.

I was recently able to view/handle a standard capacity (16) round mag and also found that the followers are different as well. The 10 has a 1/2 " (ish) long tab on the bottom where the 16 is pretty much flat. Springs were the same length. The base plates were labled with 16 round and 10 round.

·
Registered
716 Posts
The 16 round mag is longer. It will work in a 10 round gun of the same cal but will stick out below the grip.

If you live in a 10 round max state, it is illegal to alter a 16 round mag to hold 10 rounds.
Where did you get that its illegal to mod a HC mag to only hold 10rds??

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
I'm thinking he meant the other way 'round.

Idk.......

The only 10rd XDm mags (45) could not even fit more rounds.
SA does not make a 10rd mag for the XDm 9/40

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
OK, have it your way. Just don't get caught with a handgun loaded with a mag of greater capacity of 10, or a semi-automatic rifle with more than 10 either, unless you have a permit for them.

A 16 round mag altered to take 10 rounds would have to have the alteration absolutely fixed to never be changed back to 16. So what is your point of buying a 16 capacity magazine?

·
Registered
716 Posts
OK, have it your way. Just don't get caught with a handgun loaded with a mag of greater capacity of 10, or a semi-automatic rifle with more than 10 either, unless you have a permit for them.
I bought all of my XDm mags from a local shop (SOCAL) minus the 2 I bought used. I bought them and the XDm gun (not on the Cali roster and blocked HC mags) via SSE which is legal in Cali. im not worried about anything. Just wanted to correct the incorrect info you put out.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts