Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new shooter, I am looking for something that I could use to track improvement overtime. I kind of keep all of the targets and review them in more detail each time I get back from the range, but is there any organized technique that simplifies this?

TIA.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Right now I keep a 3" binder with my targets. I organize them by range, stance, etc. I also write notes on them to point out what my focus was when shooting: stance, grip, trigger, etc. I find that notes are very helpful, especially if you are able to note what worked well and what needs improvement.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I keep a 3" binder with my targets. I organize them by range, stance, etc. I also write notes on them to point out what my focus was when shooting: stance, grip, trigger, etc. I find that notes are very helpful, especially if you are able to note what worked well and what needs improvement.
Yup... that's exactly what I'm doing too.... Just wondering if there is a better way. Thx for reply.

·
Registered
11,047 Posts
I shoot the B-2 targets and I keep score using the value of the rings. The ring right outside the X is 10 and the X is 11. If it breaks the line it's scored as the higher of the two numbers

Here's a picture of a target from a couple years ago. I was shooting at 7 meters at about 1 shot every 1-2 seconds.

8 x 2 = 16
9 x 11 = 99
10 x 6 = 60
11 x 5 = 55
24 shots = 230 points of a possible 264.

Since I was generally shooting low left I know I need to work on my grip and my trigger a bit. Here's a target to help you solve your specific issues.
http://www.reloadbench.com/pdf/files/TargetRightHanded.pdf

·
Registered
139 Posts
I took a different approach. For shooting my 45 bullseye gun I use a B8 target at 25 yards or a B6 at 50 yards. I shoot 25 rounds and simply count how many are in the black and record the date and the number in black out of 25. (example 20/25)

If practicing IDPA I go back to 20 yards and track the number of shots down 0 out of 50.

You can set up any condition you want and keep track of improvements that way. Also, it's easier to remember improvements, at least for me. You can use any target or combination of shots just so you are consistent.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts