Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Other than the "bling" factor" why should I get a stainless slide? Even stainless will rust if it is not maintained. Why is it worth an extra 60 to 80 dollars? I am considering the XDm45 SS that is on sale right now.

·
Premium Member
127,282 Posts
IMO, it's just the bling.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't think bi tone is a good idea for Ccw. All black is better the clashing of colors could draw the eye if you're not careful.

·
Registered
591 Posts
BLING thats all, doesn't shoot any different

·
Registered
333 Posts
Personally, I just like the way a bi-tone looks compared to an all-black gun.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
I wanted a quick way to distinguish between my XD40 (black) and XD9 (BiTone). And I like the looks of the BiTone.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Cause I got a good deal, lol.

I'd gladly trade my XD45 Service slide in stainless for someone else's black slide (though I'll need to get my TFO sights back...)

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Cause they are pretty...Bling, Bling, Bling....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Other than the "bling" factor" why should I get a stainless slide? Even stainless will rust if it is not maintained. Why is it worth an extra 60 to 80 dollars? I am considering the XDm45 SS that is on sale right now.
As others have stated, mainly bling, but the finish is easier to care for and won't wear off. A stainless barrel allows for some more abrasive options for cleaning, but I don't know if the stainless-slide model actually has a stainless barrel (maybe does, just haven't looked into it)?

Personally, I lean slightly to stainless for CCW because of the long-term corrosion resistance. If the color shades on the weapon are affecting your concealment, time to go back to the house & try again.

If you are not going to conceal, (IMO) pick what you think looks the best and fits your budget. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,506 Posts
I have a bi-tone, XD45c...I bought it because I thought it looked better. I'm not concerened about it reflecting light because if I have to draw it there's going to flash and bang spitting out the business end.

I used to have a sainless Model 60 .357 that I carried and never had any trouble with it being shiny.

That being said...It's bling. Me like pretty pistol!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Personal preference mainly due to it's cosmetic appearance.

I have a bi-tone XD9 and don't mine of owning an all black one:mrgreen:

·
Registered
831 Posts
I'd prefer regular black. The reason I went with bi-tone for XD is for the stainless, easier to clean, less prone to rust and easier see the dirty spot while cleaning.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It is definitely the bling factor for me. I like to put a gold chain through the trigger guard and wear it around my neck like flava flav wears his clock ;)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I like my guns strong and black, like my .... wait, my wife is white.

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts
I just like the looks of the bi-tone, so both my XD9 and XD(M)40 are bi-tone.

Now, I do have a story (even true, too!) of a conversation I overheard at my old local gun shop back when I lived in Illinois a few years back. The GS in question, Shore Galleries in Lincolnwood IL, caters especially to LEO clientele. There were three suburban LEOS in uniform who were checking out handguns on display in the shop... there was a sale going on and LEOs got an additional discount. They were looking at the various model XDs and talking about the bi-tone. The gist of the story is that they knew LEOs on another suburban force that had bi-tone weapons (not sure what make... not even sure if primary or BUG) and the bi-tone stood out so much more than an all-black hand gun, it added a "stun factor" that seemed to more readily get the attention of bad guys. Sort of analogous to seeing a red laser dot on your chest. Anyway... that's an approximation of what I overheard between these cops and the sales guy. FWIW.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
As others have stated, mainly bling, but the finish is easier to care for and won't wear off. A stainless barrel allows for some more abrasive options for cleaning, but I don't know if the stainless-slide model actually has a stainless barrel (maybe does, just haven't looked into it)?

Personally, I lean slightly to stainless for CCW because of the long-term corrosion resistance. If the color shades on the weapon are affecting your concealment, time to go back to the house & try again.

If you are not going to conceal, (IMO) pick what you think looks the best and fits your budget. ;)

In this case stainless would be worse. Ordinance grade stainless will rust, the lack of a finish on that bare steel means it will rust and corrode alot faster than the black finish XDs. Just do a quick search here on stainless rusting.

These bitone service pistols are best suited to safe queen duty. Dont take them to the field for a rough days work getting sweat on, rained on, dunked in water and so on. It will mean alooot more weapons maintenance at the end of the day.......

·
Registered
18 Posts
In this case stainless would be worse. Ordinance grade stainless will rust, the lack of a finish on that bare steel means it will rust and corrode alot faster than the black finish XDs. Just do a quick search here on stainless rusting.

These bitone service pistols are best suited to safe queen duty. Dont take them to the field for a rough days work getting sweat on, rained on, dunked in water and so on. It will mean alooot more weapons maintenance at the end of the day.......
Thanks for your comments, Boris. An ex-Quantico instructor that I know was positively glowing on the benefits of stainless, but I'm glad to know there are other views. I'm sure the quality of stainless varies from model to model, just like knives. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts