Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...i'm pretty new to this forum and just recently purchased a XD40 Tactical. I've read a number of posts here that concern "FTF" Now when people use this are they talking about "failed to fire" or rather "failed to feed" they are two completely different things and should not be confused.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what i figured but i this post where someone said to make sure you wait 30 seconds after a FTF before ejecting the round and i was like...that doesn't make much sense.

·
Registered
165 Posts
scottie4183 said:
That's what i figured but i this post where someone said to make sure you wait 30 seconds after a FTF before ejecting the round and i was like...that doesn't make much sense.
It prob. going to be on of my posts. Ive never been good at internet short-hand speak. :oops:

I guess we all have a learning curve. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
As was stated above, FTF does mean failure to feed. For those who are new to guns and shooting, the following terms mean.....

FTE = failure to eject. This is when the case from a fired round does not clear the ejection port, and usually jams the slide requiring the shooter to rack the slide and clear the empty case.
FTF = failure to feed. This is when a fresh round fails to properly strip from the magazine, and does not enter the chamber correctly. This too will usually cause the slide to jam, and require the shooter to rack the slide, and clear the errent round. This will occur with any semi auto firearm, if it occurs ofthen then you should either try different ammo, or have the feed ramp polished by a gunsmith to correct the problem.
Misfire = This is when a freash round properly dhambers, but failes to fire. This can happen because of a bad primer, too light of a hit from the firing pin, or a worn out firing pin. It is best to keep the gun pointed down range for at least 30 seconds before racking the slide, and ejecting the failed round. Proper disposal of the round is also reccommended.
Squib = This is when the round fires, but does not create enough energy to clear the bullet from the barrel. This happens when the primer fires, but either does not properly ignite the powder, the round did not recieve a powder charge, or the powder some how got wet, and is no longer flamable. This is a dangerous stiuation because if you do not reccognise a squib when it happens, and fire another round behind it, you will most likely split the barrel, cause un-repairable damage to the gun, and also cause injury to yourself, and other shooters standing near you.
If your gun normally goes (((BANG))), but only goes (((poof))), clear the chamber, drop the mag, rack the slide and check the barrel....if you don't see day light from end of barrel to the chamber, you got a problem that needs to be corrected before using the gun again.

Again, I have posted this information for those who are new to guns and shooting, it is not intended to insult the intelligence of those who are seasoned shooters.
For you guys that are new to our sport, I hope this information is helpful.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
quite actually--I had no idea what a squib was. Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Two other terms you're liabel to see on any given gun related chatboard...

POA = Point of aim

POI = Point of impact

These two terms are usually associated with fixed sight guns since your point of aim, and the point of impact can be corrected with adjustable sights.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Tony Mig said:
Again, I have posted this information for those who are new to guns and shooting, it is not intended to insult the intelligence of those who are seasoned shooters.
I'm anything but a n00b when it comes to firearms, but I wasn't insulted. Accurate information is never insulting.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It took a couple minutes to figure out somethin nice and perverted that went with FTF.
I hope I made some people smile during their day.

·
Registered
181 Posts
If FTE = Failure to Eject then what is Failure to Extract?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm anything but a n00b when it comes to firearms, but I wasn't insulted. Accurate information is never insulting.
Thanks StealthSniper, but since I'm fairly new to this forum, and do not yet know how most here would accept a post of beginner information, I figured I should include that disclaimer. I've been on other gun related chat boards where a post like that would have drawn a lot of heat from guys that were born years after I bought my first gun.....(if you know what I mean)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts