Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda new to the range thing. I've been a half a dozen times lately and I'm shooting like 5" diameter groups at 10 yards. I know that's not great, but what is generally considered average at that distance? What's good? Nevermind,... I saw a guy the other day at the range that was good. He was shooting mostly within 1 1/2" circle pretty much anywhere. Ah,...What's average?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd say that if you're "new", and that you are hitting 5" groupings... you are on the right path. Keep practicing and you'll eventually see your groupings start to get closer and tighter. Keep it up!!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Maybe 4"?

Really, as long as you're hitting COM, you're good to go. If that 5" group is right in the middle, I wouldn't complain much. They'll get tighter as you practice more.

Once I got my flinch figured out (causing me to shoot low/left), I stopped working on "accuracy". I notice each time I go to the range I'm a little better, but they're still all on target, and are good hits.

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
I'm kinda new to the range thing. I've been a half a dozen times lately and I'm shooting like 5" diameter groups at 10 yards. I know that's not great, but what is generally considered average at that distance? What's good? Nevermind,... I saw a guy the other day at the range that was good. He was shooting mostly within 1 1/2" circle pretty much anywhere. Ah,...What's average?
Well average is not a good measure becaus there are good shooters and terrible ones. I can shoot on average 2 to 3 inch groups at 25 yards with most of my pistols. At 10 yards I would want to be able to shoot a group with all the bullets touching or close to it.
Pat

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Maybe 4"?

Really, as long as you're hitting COM, you're good to go. If that 5" group is right in the middle, I wouldn't complain much. They'll get tighter as you practice more.

Once I got my flinch figured out (causing me to shoot low/left), I stopped working on "accuracy". I notice each time I go to the range I'm a little better, but they're still all on target, and are good hits.
I have to disagree. Hitting com when you are relaxed at the range with no time constraints or no one shooting back is not realistic training or a good skills test.
pat

·
Registered
455 Posts
With concentration and practice, I think the average shooter should be able to consistently keep 3-5 round strings in a 3inch circle at 25 yards with the typical, well made defensive handgun. This gets you one or maybe two shots on the typical bad guy if you catch him by surprise.

The defensive handgun is instantly effective against another human being only if the shots fall on one or possibly two very small critical areas. While it may seem effective to stand and deliver highly accurate shots and to that end practice until you actually reduce your hit pattern until it meets the 3 inch criteria, reality is far different.

For practical purposes being able to hit an 8 inch circle (a small paper plate) on demand from standing, kneeling, sitting, prone and moving may perhaps, be a more useful defensive skill set. Distances from arms length (mostly to maintain some margin of safety in practice) out to about 25 yards (further if possible). Continue on to add drills to work on the gun drawn from your normal carry position, weak & one handed shooting, reload and malfunction drills and if possible some work from covering barricades (over, around, under). Poor or no light conditions would be next.

If you anticipate the assistance of an armed partner it doesn't take much imagination to work out approach and retreat signals, coordinated fire patterns and covering fire.

Unless of course you're shooting Bullseye.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's my last target from 10 yards. It was my first with an XD. After I shot it, I bought one. I pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies. Oh and what is COM?

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
Here's my last target from 10 yards. It was my first with an XD. After I shot it, I bought one. I pick it up tomorrow.

Thanks for the replies. Oh and what is COM?

Not bad at all for someone just getting started. COM=Center of Mass.

Don't let Popo get you down. Keep plugging away and you'll do great.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Nice shooting!!! Keep practicing. COM refers to (C)enter (O)f (M)ass. It means hitting a human target where it counts, in the center of the chest, or the "center of mass!"

·
Premium Member
4,154 Posts
The standard I learned from a well known and quite renowned shooting instructor is, if you can keep ALL your shots within the realm of your hand span at that distance and speed, you're probably okay to take the shot at that distance and speed.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
The standard I learned from a well known and quite renowned shooting instructor is, if you can keep ALL your shots within the realm of your hand span at that distance and speed, you're probably okay to take the shot at that distance and speed.
That sounds about right. I think if you take the upper A zone on an IPSC target and that is a good size to be able to keep your shots in. If you can't hit the shot in that size, you might not want to take it.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
It looks like you are doing well. Practice goes a long way, especially if you focus on good form and trigger pull, but some good advice is always a plus if you can get it 'on the spot'. My advice to any new shooter is to ask the better shooters you see at the range for tips. You can certainly figure it out on your own, but a little instruction from someone with better technique can save you thousands of rounds worth of practice and I think you will find that the shooters that are worth taking instruction from are more than happy to provide the advice. You might even get to fire some cool firearms in the process...it seems that every time I ask a old timer at the range about their weapon I end up getting to shoot it and I always gladly accept any instruction they may offer...tough to have too much critique of your form...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

Don't worry. Most all modern day handguns are more accurate that you could ever be in a defensive situation with an adrenaline dump. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Not bad at all for someone just getting started. COM=Center of Mass.

Don't let Popo get you down. Keep plugging away and you'll do great.
I did not realize i was putting anyone down. I could say don't let XDConvert let you believe that your current level is just fine and that you should not strive to improve.

And yes we all start somewhere. I would recommend that the OP get a good instructor so he is practicing the right things. The shots low on the target suggest you have a flinch or pre-ignition push. Most people have a flinch at some point in their shooting career. Focus on pulling the trigger very slowly and do not jerk it when the sights seem just right.
Pat

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for the replies.

I have heard that you shouldn't pull the trigger too hard or fast, but to squeeze it slowly. The part I don't understand is, if you get in a defensive situation you might not have time to sssqqqquuuueeeeeeeeeezzzzeeee the trigger. You might need to get a round off right now. Right now I do a little of both.

Going to pick up the XD in a few hours. I'm pretty stoked. I have an M&P .40. After shooting it, I realized it just didn't fit my hand the way I wanted it too. Wore a little hole in my lower thumb, too. Probably going to sell it if anyone's interested. Very accurate gun though, and holds 15 rounds too. ;-) For me the XD is the best of both worlds. Comfortable and accurate. I tried a bunch of models before finding it too. Sigs, HKs, Glocks, etc., guns I thought would be perfect, but for one reason or another, just weren't IT.

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Thanks again for the replies.

I have heard that you shouldn't pull the trigger too hard or fast, but to squeeze it slowly. The part I don't understand is, if you get in a defensive situation you might not have time to sssqqqquuuueeeeeeeeeezzzzeeee the trigger. You might need to get a round off right now. Right now I do a little of both.

Going to pick up the XD in a few hours. I'm pretty stoked. I have an M&P .40. After shooting it, I realized it just didn't fit my hand the way I wanted it too. Wore a little hole in my lower thumb, too. Probably going to sell it if anyone's interested. Very accurate gun though, and holds 15 rounds too. ;-) For me the XD is the best of both worlds. Comfortable and accurate. I tried a bunch of models before finding it too. Sigs, HKs, Glocks, etc., guns I thought would be perfect, but for one reason or another, just weren't IT.
You have to learn to walk before you can run. Start with good trigger control and slowly sqeeze the trigger. Speed comes with time. Even the fastest shooters do not yank the trigger hard. Its all about timing and ecomonmy of motion. Looking at your target you need to worry about accuracy now and work on speed later. Even in a life and death situations you can not miss fast enough to win. You need hits right now not just loud noses and rounds into the dirt at the bad guys feet. That is what will happen if you do not have good trigger control.
Pat

·
Registered
855 Posts
You need hits right now not just loud noses and rounds into the dirt at the bad guys feet. That is what will happen if you do not have good trigger control.
Not to derail this thread into a caliber discussion, but this is why I went with a 9mm after owning a S&W .40 for a short time. I just felt like the recoil with the 9mm was much more manageable. Even if it packs less punch than the .40, I'm more confident that I could put more rounds into BGs with the 9 than the .40.

Now, the real point of my post is this question: Since I only shoot at an indoor range (for now), is there any way to simulate shooting longer distances? I think 10 yards is the max at my indoor range. Do I use smaller targets or just figure that the closer my target's holes are to each other (and the middle of the target), the better I would have done at a longer distance? :confused:

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
Not to derail this thread into a caliber discussion, but this is why I went with a 9mm after owning a S&W .40 for a short time. I just felt like the recoil with the 9mm was much more manageable. Even if it packs less punch than the .40, I'm more confident that I could put more rounds into BGs with the 9 than the .40.

Now, the real point of my post is this question: Since I only shoot at an indoor range (for now), is there any way to simulate shooting longer distances? I think 10 yards is the max at my indoor range. Do I use smaller targets or just figure that the closer my target's holes are to each other (and the middle of the target), the better I would have done at a longer distance? :confused:
Use smaller targets for accuracy practice. I use those 1/2 inch post it dots on paper plates when I am working on shooting small groups.
Pat

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts
At what distance do you use the 1/2 post it dots? That's pretty impressive.

It varies I usually use them at 7 and 10 yards and 15 yards and then use larger dots at 25 yards. But in the target above I did not have larger dots so I shot it at what I thought was 25 yards (paced it) but the laser ranger finder said it was 22 yards. That is my best group ever and not my typical at that range.

Here is my typical pistol groups at 25 yards.

This is a 8 shot group at 7 yards.

This is a qualification target shot doing various timed drills from 2 to 25 yards.

What helped me get accurate with a pistol was shooting Bullseye in college. Shooting with one hand makes you develop really good trigger control. Once I did that shooting with two hands seemed like cheating. The first time I ever shot a pistol I could barely hit a 10 inch circle at 20 feet. It takes time but getting good instruction is the key. Don't just practice bad habits. I find it much easier to teach someone who has never shot before vs someone who has developed bad habits on their own.
Pat

1 - 20 of 43 Posts