Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been carrying for about 3 weeks now. I keep thinking of different scenarios I wasn't taught in class.

For instance what if I'm eating at a restaurant and across the open restaurant someone starts shooting someone else. At the moment he's not a threat to me. Am I able to defuse the situation?

What if I'm sitting on a bench at the mall and two guys start to attack me with their fist? Defuse situation?

I'm at a stop light in car with window down and someone tries to attack me with fist. Defuse situation?

·
Premium Member
15,438 Posts
Every state is different and you need to know not just your state but any state that you might carry in...

Here is a link that might help some. Handgunlaw.us

The biggest thing is take what you are told over the internet with a grain of salt till you personally verify it as truth.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Keep in mind that whatever the scenario, pulling the trigger will most likely cost you tens of thousands of dollars, a night in jail, (minimum) and change the course of your life. If you happen to be Caucasian and the defensless victim of your hatred is a minority you will become nationally famous. Welcome to the world of CC.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Smoov...

1. Get very familiar with the laws in your state and others you may visit in the near future.
2. Get professional instruction on handgun defense for the concealed carrier.
3. Practice your technique and refresh your memory of local law.

Done.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Keep in mind that whatever the scenario, pulling the trigger will most likely cost you tens of thousands of dollars, a night in jail, (minimum) and change the course of your life. If you happen to be Caucasian and the defensless victim of your hatred is a minority you will become nationally famous. Welcome to the world of CC.
Smoov...do NOT consume manure ^^
Its dangerous.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Every state is different and you need to know not just your state but any state that you might carry in...

The biggest thing is take what you are told over the internet with a grain of salt till you personally verify it as truth.
+ 1

Smoov...

1. Get very familiar with the laws in your state and others you may visit in the near future.

Done.
+ 1 again
Smoov...do NOT consume manure ^^
Its dangerous.
Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Ladies & Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, and Trolls, of all ages!
May I have your attention please!
We have a winner here!

Just my $.02, quickly depreciating in value.

OP: IMHO, this is a very worthwhile read, originally posted by Cuda66 (and you can generally take his posts to the bank!)

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/classroom/206340-my-gunfight.html

Good luck and best wishes.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts

Smoov...

Done.
In addition get familiar with case law in your area. In NM by the law deadly force is justifiable to defend property, or stop an unlawful act. I shoot and kill a kid steeling my lawnmower I bet I would go to prison. Read the NM law below and I bet you will see quite a few that would not pass muster in a court of law. In the end you have to decide what you are willing to shoot for. Also all the ramifications. As an example You are in a convenience store a bad guy has a gun on the clerk at the register. You shoot and the bad guy pulls the trigger in reflex killing the clerk. Yes it was his fault, yes you will second guess yourself the rest of your life.

30-2-7. Justifiable homicide by citizen.
Homicide is justifiable when committed by any person in any of the following cases:
A. when committed in the necessary defense of his life, his family or his property, or in necessarily defending against any unlawful action directed against himself, his wife or family;
B. when committed in the lawful defense of himself or of another and when there is a reasonable ground to believe a design exists to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury against such person or another, and there is imminent danger that the design will be accomplished; or
C. when necessarily committed in attempting, by lawful ways and means, to apprehend any person for any felony committed in his presence, or in lawfully suppressing any riot, or in necessarily and lawfully keeping and preserving the peace.

·
Registered
29,836 Posts
Smoov--

With no offense, it sounds like you need more education.

I'm sure there are some top-notch instructors in your area; instead of asking random strangers on the internets, I strongly advise you to get with them and get more training.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
This is exactly why I advise folks in my area to spend the extra money for an 8 hour CCW class versus the short and online and courses. We spent a good part of the class discussing the laws, shoot and no shoot scenarios, expectations after an incident, awareness, etc, etc. The first thing I did after walking out was to go order the most current book on AZ law.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I took a 2 day CCW class but it covered basics. It didn't go into depth. Plus I didn't think of these questions until they crossed my mind when at those places carrying. I sent the instructor an email a little bit ago to meet up with him for some information.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I took a 2 day CCW class but it covered basics. It didn't go into depth. Plus I didn't think of these questions until they crossed my mind when at those places carrying. I sent the instructor an email a little bit ago to meet up with him for some information.
Keep going, don't quit! Training and education is a never ending quest, IMHO

Have a good one!

·
Registered
30,301 Posts
I've only been carrying for about 3 weeks now. I keep thinking of different scenarios I wasn't taught in class.

For instance what if I'm eating at a restaurant and across the open restaurant someone starts shooting someone else. At the moment he's not a threat to me. Am I able to defuse the situation?

What if I'm sitting on a bench at the mall and two guys start to attack me with their fist? Defuse situation?

I'm at a stop light in car with window down and someone tries to attack me with fist. Defuse situation?
In Ilinois we have really great use of force laws.

I am not a lawyer, nor should this be in any way construed as legal advice, but...

Yes, Illinois law states that you can use lethal force in defense of another.

Yes, Illinois law states that lethal force can be used to stop a forcible felony, or if your are in articulable fear for your life of grevious bodily harm.

We also have a civil liability law. If you shoot (or otherwise injure) someone, and it is found to be juustified, the person/family/Al Sharpton can't sue you civilly. (But you can sue them)

·
Registered
29,836 Posts
Good start; I'd advise working with other instructors, too.

It never hurts to get different perspectives.

·
Registered
650 Posts

You don't draw your weapon to "defuse" a situation. You draw the gun with the intent to shoot someone. If the threat happens to stop because of your actions, that's fine. But you shouldn't have drawn unless it was the last resort. You aren't a cop being paid to keep the peace.

Put another way, if your intent was to simply "defuse" a situation, a good argument could be made that you were not actually in fear for your life at that point.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't draw your weapon to shoot someone. Injuring them may get you into trouble. You draw your weapon to kill someone. But kill is a little harsh for some so defuse is appropriate. You say tomato, I say tomato

·
Registered
29,836 Posts
You don't draw your weapon to shoot someone. Injuring them may get you into trouble. You draw your weapon to kill someone. But kill is a little harsh for some so defuse is appropriate. You say tomato, I say tomato
Try again.

You draw your weapon--and fire, if the situation necessitates--in order to STOP someone.

Whether they live or die as a result is not a concern, as long as they cease the behavior that made you decide that it was necessary to use lethal force.

You really, really, REALLY need more/better training than you've had so far.

·
Registered
632 Posts
You need to sit down with a lawyer well versed in use of force law of your state. CCW instructors are not legal experts in any shape or form, infact to become an instructor is insanely easily. For as many good ones there are just as many bad ones. Spend a couple of hundred now and get the right answers and save thousands later.

You need more training and info, do yourself and your family a favor and put the gun away until you have been well informed by experts.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need to sit down with a lawyer as stated. A lot of gray areas. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Try again.

You draw your weapon--and fire, if the situation necessitates--in order to STOP someone.

Whether they live or die as a result is not a concern, as long as they cease the behavior that made you decide that it was necessary to use lethal force.

You really, really, REALLY need more/better training than you've had so far.
Smoov...listen to this guy

1 - 20 of 43 Posts