Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am waiting for my Mossberg Maverick 88 Security 12 gauge w/20" barrel to be delivered and have started to research HD ammo.

Having no prior experience, I've spent a lot of time on the internet trying to find out what I don't know.:???:

It looks like the most common advice is 00 Buck, in a light load. My question is this - what is the definition of 'light' load. What am I looking for on the side of the box? Is this something I can get at Wally World or will it be a special order or available only in a gun store?

Also, it's suggested I get some slugs. Again, would apreciate thoughts.

Thanks in advance

Phil

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Light load could mean a few things. Light in recoil, light in size and amount of shot, light in amount of "charge".

I imagine when people refer to a light 00 buck load they might be refering to a "low-recoil" version of 00 buck and probably nothing larger than 2-3/4" shells. This is versus an 18-pellet 3.5" magnum shell. :)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Winchester, Remington, Federal, Hornady, Speer, etc, all make reduced recoil, or low recoil 00, 000 and slugs intended for self-defense and law enforcement.

You may find such ammo at ammoman.com, ammotogo.com, streichers.com, natchez, sportsman's guide, ammobank, local gun sop. Wal-Mart and Kmart won't stock it
+1

Light shotshells loads run 1oz @ 1200fps or 1 1/8oz @ 1140fps. Sometimes you'll also see it as 2 3/4 dram.

For 00 buckshot, 8 pellets = 1oz, 9 pellets = 1 1/8oz.

I've patterned Fiocchi, Winchester, Remington, and Federal low recoil buckshot loads. The tightest patterns out of a Rem 870 and FNH SLP was with Remington P/N RL12BK00 which is a 8 pellet payload at 1200fps. The load is buffered which helps keep the pellets round which will improve the pattern.

And you're probably wondering what the pattern was. 6 inches at 50 feet with a modified choke. All the others had one or two pellets as flyers which would open the pattern up to 9 inches.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Hank, that's what I was looking for.

I'll start where you suggest and go from there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts