Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
takes a beating if the slide is released with the take down lever in the up position? I accidentally hit the slide release a few weeks ago with the lever up and nothing happened to the pistol but I have been wondering what actually stops the slide in that scenario.
Regular XD

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
The slide would just fly off, it goes through more of a pounding when really shooting. You don`t want the slide to fly off and land on the concrete that would suck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Actually, I don't think it would "fly off" as you have to pull the trigger to release the striker to remove the slide. But to answer your question, I'm not sure what that would cause damage to.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The slide would just fly off, it goes through more of a pounding when really shooting. You don`t want the slide to fly off and land on the concrete that would suck.

No it doesn't fly off, which is why I was concerned.

I realize you guys know this but just to clarify the chain of events: When you reassemble, you lock the slide back put the lever down and then release the slide. I never put the take down lever in the down position, just hit the slide release. The slide stopped but forward of where it would had I correctly put the lever down. Something stopped it, I just don't know what. I just wondering if I beat the **** out of part of the trigger assembly.

So seeing as how the trigger has to be pulled to remove the slide, its stands to reason that something in the trigger assembly took the full brunt of the slide being released.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The striker stops on the trigger mechanism that holds it in the ready to fire position after racking the slide. the reason that it is slightly forward of its normal position is because this isn't the usual piece to hold the slide where it needs to be (that would be the job of the disassembly lever). Since the striker always gets caught on that after racking the slide it is necesary to always dry fire in order to fully disassemble your XD. Don't get too worried it did exactly what it is supposed to do.

P.S. i don't have many posts here but i am a mechanical engineer ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts