Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if the IM Metal HS2000 (known in the USA as the SA XD) is better than Glock? Most put the Glock ontop of the plastic foodchain. Even I believe Glocks are the best darn tootin pistols made.

Yet I aint stupid (I think). I know my XD9 is very accurate and it is not sensitive to lower powered ammo like Glocks are but can handle ammo just as stout. The slide is a little chunky and the SC models are clearly not the best design to cut down like that. But they are accurate, reliable, durable. I would have to say they are everybit as much as a Glock. Here is the kicker though. they cost what I consider a good bit less and used ones are even more affordable.

Why are they not more popular? I love my Glocks. They will forever remain my #1 choice because I like the grip angle better and lighter weight (slightly less). If Marko Vuković would have put his HS2000 on the shelf the day the Glock came out I believe the outcome would be very different today. Such a great design and it really does not get the credit it has earned because every ninja has just gotta have a freakin Glock.

Just thinkin virtually aloud while the wife cooks some good grub.....

·
Registered
18,141 Posts
What if the IM Metal HS2000 (known in the USA as the SA XD) is better than Glock? Most put the Glock ontop of the plastic foodchain. Even I believe Glocks are the best darn tootin pistols made.

Yet I aint stupid (I think). I know my XD9 is very accurate and it is not sensitive to lower powered ammo like Glocks are but can handle ammo just as stout. The slide is a little chunky and the SC models are clearly not the best design to cut down like that. But they are accurate, reliable, durable. I would have to say they are everybit as much as a Glock. Here is the kicker though. they cost what I consider a good bit less and used ones are even more affordable.

Why are they not more popular? I love my Glocks. They will forever remain my #1 choice because I like the grip angle better and lighter weight (slightly less). If Marko Vuković would have put his HS2000 on the shelf the day the Glock came out I believe the outcome would be very different today. Such a great design and it really does not get the credit it has earned because every ninja has just gotta have a freakin Glock.

Just thinkin virtually aloud while the wife cooks some good grub.....

IMO glocks are so popular because they deeply discount to law enforcement and that gives them more credibility because you see cops with them. then you have the gun store guys that may or may not get special pricing on them from glock. (i hear "glock sales bonus" but I dunno about that)

so if you have cops using them, and gun store guys talking them up, combined with slick advertising, sprinkling in a healthy does of smear campaign
and mis information on other brands... you have people believing and buying.

I could be wrong. I often am.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I remember when Glocks first came out and the media was full of stories about the "plastic gun" and how it was able to evade metal detectors. That fueled a lot of interest in the guns - there was a lot of buzz over the coffee pot back then.

But the big deal on Glocks is superb marketing. Getting them out into the hands of professionals at a deep discount (basically at cost) was and still is a brilliant move. It gets the volume of production up to cover costs and then the civilian sales line the pockets. Yeah yeah yeah, they are decent guns, accurate enough and reliable to boot --> so are a truck load of other guns. Marketing is the difference.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
The Glock is still the king of sales, but the competitors are taking bug chucks out of its market. The XD in the US has now had a decade of strong continuous sales mainly to the civilian market. HS Produkt / Springfield have been able to continue to develop the platform and release new products every year since introducing it over 10 years ago. Smith and Wesson used to be the big name in Law enforcement and all but lost the market to Glock. They don`t even make their old all metal guns anymore. But after years of Ownership change and research and development they to have eaten into Glocks LEO market with an aggressive do anything approach to get departments to buy their products.

It kind of reminds me of the the PC vs Apple. The PC is super cheap and almost anyone can afford one....they practically give them away and own the majority of the computer market. Apple has its core sales but makes a huge profit on each unit. The prices of XD`s have risen and risen each year and the sales are still strong.

I will add that yes timing could have changed things. But the reason the XD/HS2000 is a solid weapon is that it took a war for independence and two gun designs prior to the HS2000 for Croatia to get its infrastructure, design, research and development up to par with the best of the best in European firearm design.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts