Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The National Match M1a came out of the box a better gun than I am a shooter, but I still felt the need to tinker. I added a Surefire muzzle break which really did seam to reduce recoil and now I am waiting on my Croc's trigger group to get back from their shop. What changes have you made or do you recommend?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I got a "Loaded" M1A with the stainless barrel, NM front sight, and NM trigger. I mostly shoot with the irons and use it to hunt. After lugging around the woods a couple of hunts in damp weather I realized I needed to replace that beautiful maple stock before it got ruined through scratches, humidity, or the stain it will (did in my case) develop from your skin oils on the stock's cheek pad.

I got a fiberglass stock with some reinforcement for stiffness and put a front sling loop with a rail section on it. The rail section is only for a bipod. I also bought a three point sling for it so I could get up and down from the tree stands/shooting houses easier with it. When I do use glass I put a Bassett mount on it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
depending on what you use it for, i recommend shimming the gas cylinder if barrel band is lose, and i installed an sei coast guard/navy muzzle brake. i would never buy one from them but got it in trade so i tried it. it works great too. clearanced the stock from the ferrule and gas cylinder so it would not bang each other, and my groups with reloads are phenominal.

i just shot a 1 1/4'' ten round group with irons at 100yds. i took my time and was very careful and aimed the exact same way every time. my load was LC-08 brass full length resized, 165gr. remington power soft points with flat based bottom and no boattail, on top of 42.4 grs. of IMR-4064 that was seated at 2.795 and factory crimped with a Lee die. i did four sets of these and the largest group was 1 5/8" not bad for 40 rounds inside that small area. i think shooter error was the cause of the last ones. i let the barrel cool also between strings. what is most funny is that my scoped rifle will shoot the same size. i thought i would be better with scoped.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'm going to put an AimPoint M2 on my SOCOM 16 and so I am going to add an adjustable cheekrest to elevate my line of sight and a sling but other than that no plans for big changes. I may add an extended mag release.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine started off as a loaded model too, but I competed NRA highpower with it.

Probably the biggest changes I had done to mine were have front & rear lugs added to the receiver and the action bedded in a McMillan stock. I also went from a medium weight barrel to a barnett 1-10 heavy.

I also replaced the spring guide with one from sadlak and have one of their grooved pistons as well, but have yet to install it and test the difference.

·
Registered
98 Posts
On my Scout I replaced the stock with a walnut plus a sling. On the SOCOM I added a sling and a red dot.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety"- Benjamin Franklin

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I have had my SAI STD since 07' and am sending it back to SAI for a 18" barrel conversion , have been running a Sadlak piston and Oprod spring guide and that's it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
As a few above have said, I bought a used walnut stock and a vg condition handguard from Fred's in order to preserve the original came/with items; at a total cost of $50, I ought to be able to recoup my investment should the time come to sell it. I also added a stud to it and put on a Harris bipod. Lastly, I put an SA Gen 3 scope mount and a 3-9x50 scope on it. Using battle-pack South African 1982 milsurp ammo, I can almost put one shot on top of another at 100 yards (the 200 yd range was recently closed due to litigation; CT is not a gun-friendly state).

·
Registered
150 Posts
hmmm....
Sadlak NM Tin Piston
Sadlak NM OpRod Guide
Sadlak front QD
Sadlak Airborne Steel Scope Mount
Schuster Adj Gas plug
Polished the trigger group, it sits on a Harris S-Series Bipod, has a Nikon 4.5-14 w/ MilDot Reticle on top. NM Iron sights, but don't use em much. It's an early '80's National Match, but it's no longer in a bedded stock. Still shoots moa or better at 200 yards all day. Handloading has really dialed it in. 43 gr RE15, 178 gr AMAX, CCI BR Primers. Beautiful.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I'm going to put an AimPoint M2 on my SOCOM 16 and so I am going to add an adjustable cheekrest to elevate my line of sight and a sling but other than that no plans for big changes. I may add an extended mag release.
I pulled off the Aimpoint and stock cheekrest spacer. I just installed a Sadlak spring guide and am waiting on my Sage EBR. I think I'll try my EO Tech on that set up and see how I like it.

I don't mind the weight of this gun I just wish the butt stock wasn't 5 feet long, the Sage should fix that and allow me to get comfy!

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
Springfield Armory

dropped a M-14 stock from Fred's, and added the dummy selector switch. this is merely to mind the gap.

past that the only other think that i changed, was the rounds fired count.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
About 34 years ago I put a scope mount and mount on it and deer hunted with it for a few years.

About 5 years ago I put a GI synthetic stock on it and put the wood stock in the attic.

About 4 years ago I removed the front sling swivel from the GI synthetic stock and installed an AR15 QD sling swivel post where the GI sling swivel had been. Then I put a bipod on the post.

That's it for mods.

Oh, took the type 2 lockbar rear sight off it to put on my Dec. 44 Springfield M1 Garand and put the Garand rear sight on the M1A.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts