Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going on a multiple day river rafting trip soon, with some friends from Wilderness Aware. Website for White Water Rafting Colorado

What weapon should i bring for protection, im not keen on risking my neck with bears without being able to protect my son and daughter.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
What are your options?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would say a .45 if you have one. Especially one with a higher capacity like an XD.

Assuming everyone you are going with is ok with guns, and you don't have to conceal it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would bring 2:

1) being a 22 for varmint around the campsite (snakes, skunks, etc.)
2) being the biggest caliber you have for something bigger and more dangerous (bear, wolf, ect.)

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Shouldn't that be your first choice^? A lost gun can always be replaced, a lost life cannot.
I've been rafting and camping in CO and have never seen a bear. The odds are slim that it's will even be needed. If a person can't shoot a gun well enough to use, why keep it? I am assuming they can shoot what they own well enough.

I would take an XD or even a Glock long before I took a custom Wilson Combat that I could shoot better. You have to balance your priorities.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Are you camping at all? Or just white water rafting. I think if your camping bring one along, but I don't think you'll have any problems on the river if your just going rafting..

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I would think a 30.06. If that is impractical then I would not go with less than a .357 mag, and my first choice would be a.44 mag. Anything less and you will just piss off the bear.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Tens of thousands of people white water raft in Colorado each year. None have been attacked by a bear. If you see one count your self lucky.
P.S. You do not need a gun to protect yourself from snakes either.

·
Registered
6,681 Posts
You are more likely to lose 1 of your kids to the rapids by drowning or being injured falling out of the raft than ever seeing a bear. No gun is needed and probably not allowed either. Check with the people providing the rafting service to find out.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
this
You are more likely to lose 1 of your kids to the rapids by drowning or being injured falling out of the raft than ever seeing a bear. No gun is needed and probably not allowed either. Check with the people providing the rafting service to find out.
or

A Super Soaker.......I'm pretty sure bears don't like water and you have an unlimited amount of ammo.

·
Registered
486 Posts
hey we all saw a River Wild, it's those damn two-legged predators you gotta watch out for. Nothing wrong with a little concealed carry.

Bring cyanide too just in case your injured and left to rot by your party.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts