• Springfield xd sub compact 9mm or .40

• S&W M&P 9mm or .40

• Glock 26/27 9mm or .40

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone this is my first post on here and looking to purchase my first handgun.I have shot a .380 before and a 22mag revolver. and i do own and shoot lots of rifles and shotguns.

however i am looking to get a ccw and buy a nice handgun to carry with me as my self defense concealed firearm. I have read up on the diff in caliber 9mm .40 .45 i figure i either want the 9mm or the .40 since this is my first handgun and dont want something with a lot of recoil to make follow up shots hard to be accurate. I will be doing lots of practice shooting with it to get good anyway and i figure the 9mm will do what i need since i doubt i will ever have to use the weapon on someone but will carry one just incase i ever need to use it i will have it.

The 3 guns i am looking at going with are the
baby glock 26 model, or the 27 .40 model
smith&wesson M&P compact 9mm or .40
springfield xd sub compact 9mm or .40

what would you suggest and why the only thing i dont like about the xd is the grip saftey is that a big factor and i think the 9mm will suit me best less recoil and more rounds

if you vote post why you picked your choice

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you think that the .40 is going to be a lighter recoil, you may want to go to a range and shoot a .45 and .40 at the same time. I can shoot my .45 Compact faster then my .40 SC, and I can shoot the .45 more accurate. The conceal factor is the same with a IWB..... Good Luck and get the XD.

·
Registered
246 Posts
OK,,,,, IWB is an Inner Waist Band holster.

CrossBreed Holsters are my favorite by far.

Yes, the 9mm is a very easy round / gun to handle. Very accurate, even in the SubCompact version. I have one and love it.

Here is what I know. I have tested all 3 of these calibers on Deer and the stopping power of the .45 is second to none with what we are discussing. The internal damage from the .45 and the drop time of the .45 round was killer compared. The .40 is a snappier round that gets the job done just fine. Damage to the inners was just under the .45 with less penetration, but more expansion. The 9mm :neutral:.... I did not think that I was going to get the Deer after 45 minutes of tracking. All were shot within 20 yards, from the same ground blind. All were hit behind the shoulder, double lung, and only the .45 went through the Deer. :confused:... I was expecting the 9mm to sail through but it hit a rib on the opposite side and failed to exit the body. All 3 Deer were 90 to 100 lb does.

With all that being said... Buy what you can shoot better, and what you feel the best with. But please do take my word for it and get a SuperTuck from CrossBreed Holsters. The best part with this holster is that you can carry a SC, Compact, and Tatical all in the same holster. My XDM even fits, along with my old Bersa .380........... Locked right in there :cool:!

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well the compact .45 dimensions are 7.3" length and 5" with std mag and 5.75" with ext mag

the 9mm sub compact is 6.25" length and 4.75" with std mag and 5.5" with ext mag and since i want room for my last finger i would carry it with the ext mag and also to have 16 rounds

so only difference is the length is a lil more than a inch and the height isnt a matter to me really, how much heavier is the 45 compared to the 9mm

also would a 40 be a good choice since its the same size as the 9mm sub compact and holds 12 rounds with the ext mag, or the 45 since it carrys 13 with the ext mag, only thing is the price of .45 ammo is much more than the 9 or 40

so basically the size difference isnt a big deal to me its only about one inch longer but now the question is which out of the 3 kick more and harder to shoot follow up shots quickly from the recoil wouldnt the 45 kick less with the extra 1 inch on the barrel or no

·
Registered
485 Posts
Obviously the caliber is up to you. While the "deer test" might tell something, I would like to know what ammo and which model each round was shot from. If the 9 was an SC and the .40 and .45 were 4 or 5" barrels, that could make a huge difference. Personally, I would avoid the .40. I find the recoil sharp and harder to manage, and though I haven't shot an XD .45, I've shot a few other pistols in .45 and I find the recoil very managable. I was shooting a Kimber Ultra CDPII this past weekend ( 3" barrel) and managed some 1 1/2" 5 shot groups at 25' Weaver stance, all 5 shots in less than 2 seconds. I've ordered my XD in 9mm, and I'm not concerned about it not being up to the task. If I do get another in something other than 9mm, it will be a .45

PS. another reason I chose 9mm is because I'll be able to shoot 50% more for the same $$. You can't stop what you don't hit!:wink:

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
You will obviously get some biased answers here. :)

I would also recommend the 9mm for you. What good is a bigger caliber if you can't place effective hits on a target during a crisis situation? If you get a 9mm you will get to practice much more for the same money, and you will be able to control follow-up shots better.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
I'd go for the 9mm for your first. And as far as which, to me it would depend first on how well it fit's my hand (xd fits mine best) and then price.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I'll stay away from the "9mm vs .40" discussion...ultimately that's your decision based on what you can shoot best and afford, but I'll share my wife's recent experience. She took a firearms course offered locally by the sheriff's department, and they carry and recommended Glocks. She had her "sights" on a Glock 26 until she compared side by side the Glock 26 to the XD-9sc. She immediately said the XD-9sc felt better in her hands. Your experience may differ, but how the firearm feels to you is important. She went with the XD and has no regrets. Since I already had an XD-40, I was more than supportive of her decision.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I'm partial to the XD (of course), and I shoot 9mm much better than I shoot a .40 as the .40 in a subcompact tries to flip out of my hand.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
You will obviously get some biased answers here. :)

I would also recommend the 9mm for you. What good is a bigger caliber if you can't place effective hits on a target during a crisis situation? If you get a 9mm you will get to practice much more for the same money, and you will be able to control follow-up shots better.
+2

·
Registered
366 Posts
I prefer the XD 9SC. I think you will find it easier to shoot accurately. It will also be cheaper to shoot so you can practice more.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
For you first handgun I think you should stay away from the sub compacts like the Glock 27 or XDsc. Get the full sized version instead.

Of the 3 you listed all are good guns, I have a slight preference for the Glocks, but would be happy with any of them.

·
Premium Member
4,842 Posts
I love my subbies.

·
Banned
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well i want a 9mm i am pretty sure just undecided on what gun i want and i want a small handgun so i can conceal it easier.

what is wrong with the trigger on the xd's someone said they need a trigger job

·
Registered
511 Posts
i do like the feel of the Xd-9sc and would purchase one for ccw if not already an owner of a g-27.
.40 ammo is too expensive for me, though i got a great deal on the 'g' from a family member. i rarely shoot it like i do all my other handies which are 9mm.

·
Premium Member
127,757 Posts
I highly recommend the XD9SC, but in the final analysis it is your decision.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts