Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found out after asking a few local officers that they carry Speer Gold Dot ammo in their Sigs, not sure which Sig, 40 S&W. Any reason to pick one wieght over another, or just shoot a box of each to get the feel and POI?
Looking for input, I'm in a block constructed home, our bedroom has 3 of the 4 walls block, only front wall is stud. Rest of house inside walls are stud construction. Thanks

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Almost any pistol round will penetrate THROUGH common household walls. I do not have any self defense ammo for my .40 but if I did, I would carry 165 grain loads I think. That will give yu alot of velocity and have a lower penetration factor than a 180 load.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
manic mechanic said:
not sure which Sig, 40 S&W.
Probably a P226 variant.

While I can, to a degree, appreciate the consideration given in posts in various threads about rounds penetrating walls, etc., I would like to think that the primary consideration in selecting a self-defense round is something that will stop the bad guy before he stops you. If I'm dead or lying in a hospital with a bunch of tubes hanging out of me, I don't expect to find much solace in at least none of my misses went through the walls.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess what I'm looking for as far as info would be should I go with 155,165 or 180 grain. I know the penetration is a given, just trying to narrow down a bit with the knowledge on this forum. Would it be advisable to mix a mag with 2 of 3 or even the trifecta? Your thoughts are always appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
manic mechanic said:
I guess what I'm looking for as far as info would be should I go with 155,165 or 180 grain. I know the penetration is a given, just trying to narrow down a bit with the knowledge on this forum. Would it be advisable to mix a mag with 2 of 3 or even the trifecta? Your thoughts are always appreciated.
Yikes. Not for me anyway. I use Ranger 165 grain (RA40TA) for my .40 as my defense round. I like the penetration vs stopping power and it has gotten solid reviews from a number of reputable tests. I wouldn't want to mix a mag unless I'm just testing - I want to know I'm going to get a consistent recoil, punch, feel every time I fire.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
manic mechanic said:

penetration wont be a problem, and isnt for brand name ammo. what you dont want, if your shooting through walls(dont understand that and it violates rule 4 of fiream safety) is fragmentation, so make sure its a bonded round, or the tests show it doesnt fragment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts