·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All in the title.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
I believe it has to do with the primer. Some destroy your barrel without proper cleaning after shooting, others are safe.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I believe it has to do with the primer. Some destroy your barrel without proper cleaning after shooting, others are safe.
Correct. If I am not mistaken, its a mercury primer and it will corrode your chamber/barrel quickly if not cleaned. Also, I don't even shoot my mauser (corrosive) on humid days because I don't want to chance it.

As for cleaning, the best thing that I have heard was to flush the barrel/chamber with hot water or use ammonia based windex before starting your regimen.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mercuric primers have not been used for a long time. The mercury in the priming compound reacts with brass, turning in brittle and leaving it unsuitable for reloading.

Corrosive primers, encountered in mil surplus ammo for example, use potassium chlorate. The residue of this is a salt, which attracts moisture like a sponge. This is what will corrode your barrel. It does not hurt the brass, however.

GI bore cleaner was specially formulated to remove the corrosive residue. Black powder cleaning solvents should work well, too.

·
Registered
29,877 Posts
Mercuric primers have not been used for a long time. The mercury in the priming compound reacts with brass, turning in brittle and leaving it unsuitable for reloading.

Corrosive primers, encountered in mil surplus ammo for example, use potassium chlorate. The residue of this is a salt, which attracts moisture like a sponge. This is what will corrode your barrel. It does not hurt the brass, however.

GI bore cleaner was specially formulated to remove the corrosive residue. Black powder cleaning solvents should work well, too.
Or hot water.;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts