Springfield XD Forum banner

What does a finish problem look like?

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  ken_mays 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I hear all about these finish problems that some XD's are having. I have the 9mm SC and I don't really know what I'm looking for in a finish problem. I know to look at rust and stuff, but as for the finish wearing off, how do I know? It's black, it looks black, it's a carry gun, finish isn't a factor to me, but just want to know what to look for. Does any have pics of a bad finish?

#2 ·
Well, I think as others have mentioned, normal finishing wear is to be expected and don't count on SA covering that under warranty. Holster wear is just the finish rubbing away along contact points.

Don't worry about it.... If it becomes a problem and its not rusting, you'll probably have to pay for it out of pocket. If its starting to rust, give SA a call.

#4 ·
My wife reported a finnish problem, when in Finland had a bunch of friendly guys try to pick her up by tossing her cans of beer. Unfortunately they had bad aim (were drunk) and most cans ruptured on impact with sidewalk. :D

#7 ·
HTOWN stunna said:
i just got my toy back from Tripp Research here in Alpine Texas and their finish is awesome here are some pics after firing 200 rounds through her...
OK. Now you're just bragging! :wink:

#8 ·
are those stock Xd sights painted with bright sights or something similar?

#12 ·
HTOWN stunna said:
i just got my toy back from Tripp Research here in Alpine Texas and their finish is awesome here are some pics after firing 200 rounds through her.

so whats their contact info and whats it cost?

I bought my XD40 in sept. 04 and have carried it everyday since, but its got a bad case of holster wear and rusts around the rear sight that sticks out of my holster if I don't wipe it down with oil every other day, seen a couple of the SA refinished XDs and it looks like krylon or some other cheap paint, was going to have mine parkerized and sealed when I have some down time, but now that I've seen the finish on yours I'm thinking that might be the way to go.

#15 ·
Never mind I think I found it!!! There's some scuffing and I'm seeing grey on my otherwise black SC9 slide. ......Oh well....it's not a safe queen.
**edit** wait, instead, who makes a good aftermarket type finish. I saw sproles CCR finished XD9 and want mine like that. Anyone else?

#16 ·
Just got a sc 9,with the black finish. It was the display model with holster/gear up package. It has one faint wear mark on a slide edge. Who knows how many times it was pulled in and out of the holster for show. Anyway, hearing about the rust problem I "oiled" it up. Probably went overboard, but this is going to be my ccw pistol. I took a hair dryer and got the slide hot, applied some Blue Wonder disotec all over, letdry some. Next heated up the slide again, took a rag with synthetic motorooil gave it a light coat, wiped off excess. Finally heated it up again put a coat of Blue Wonder Armadillo on it, then repeated the Armadillo again. I know overkill, but I wanted to see how it would keep away rust.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.