Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
I put mine in the dishwasher! Just kidding. I clean withe Hoppes #9 and oil with Mobil 1.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Cleaning = A mixture of kerosene and denatured alcohol (hoppes #9 minus the smell good)
A blast of non-chlorinated brake cleaner in the striker channel

Lube = Mobil 1 and a bit of white lithium grease at key points

·
Registered
47 Posts
mobil 1? .... huh.... i use hoppes #9, hoppes oil. used to put a dab of the red shooters choice grease on the rails but didn't seem like it was gettin anywhere... still trying to figure it out one way or the other. and i'm out of brake cleaner...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Clean? You're suppose to clean these things? Just kidding. I use Hoppes for the barrel, electronic cleaner for the deep guts then a few drops of Mobil 1 for rotating parts and a wipe of the slide and barrel. Just a note, I went to the range last Wed, heated up the barrel with some 400 rounds of RWS (out door range), ran a patch down the barrel and it came out the other end dead clean, go figure.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
CLP

·
Registered
163 Posts
For my pistol barrel bores I use an inexpensive self contained pistol cleaning kit that will work for the most popular calibers. This does not have to be complicated. All it has to do is push a patch and a brush through the bore. The rod should be made from a material softer than the barrel to prevent damage to the barrel or have a protective coating to protect the barrel.

I use Butch's Bore Shine to remove copper and carbon from a bore. Some brushing seems to help. On, for say, a very fouled/abused bore I will use Sweet's 7.62. DO NOT leave Sweet's 7.62 in a barrel.

I use break free clp. It seems to have a good presence on the exterior. I also like it for a little crud removal and protection between more serious cleanings.

I recently bought a small bottle of Lucas Gun Oil (right by the cash register, dang those marketing gurus). I applied it to the contacts points between the slide and frame on both my XD's and a couple of 1911's. Deer season just opened so I am a dedicated rifle shooter for now. I will have an opinion about the Lucas later.

I am intrigued with the use of Mobil 1 on firearms. I may have to look into this.

Sorry, I ramble.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Hoppes# 9 and CLP.

If the "lower" is really nasty, non-chlorinated brake cleaner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I use the KleenBore pocket kit thingy. Did use Hoppe's #9, then Millitec-1, now Frog Lube. Although I havent been to the range yet to test the FL. Oh I use Q-tips, microfiber, a pick, and paper towels. cut into small enough pieces to shove through the bore of the XD.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
any objections to using just a bore snake with embedded bristles as opposed to a bore brush and cloth?
Bore snakes are great, but they were originally designed for rifles, why you wouldn't have to clean from muzzle to breach. With removable barrels we don't have that issue, so see no advantage.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thanks N.E. Tx.XD, wasnt looking for an advantage really, just seemed neat and convenient. Seems to work good though. From the choices i saw most of them were for shotguns and rifles, but there were a couple handgun caliber ones including 9mm, so i grabbed it up. First saw them in a youtube xd cleaning video.

·
Registered
123 Posts
any objections to using just a bore snake with embedded bristles as opposed to a bore brush and cloth?

I have one and use it for two uses.
1: At the range for just a quick clean-up. after a few hundred rounds I'll pass it through once or twice sometimes.
2: After I clean it from the range, I'll pass the bore snake through once the CLP has soaked in, or just to take the CLP out once I get to the range to make sure the barrel is dry before I start shooting.

But, really there's no use for it other than convenience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have and use a bore snake for quick barrel cleaning, but two things:

1. You can't scrub as thoroughly if you are going for a really good clean; and
2. You need to make sure you clean the snake periodically or you have a tendency to simply push old dirt around.

To clean it, throw it in an old sock, tie the end, and wash it by itself in the laundry.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.