Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unrelated to XDs, yes, but I'm curious. Friend of mine ten or fifteen years ago had one, and loved it, and I haven't played with one since. Would like to know your opinions, since there's a common thread of liking the XD here, and if I get a lot of positive response I'll look into the HK as well.

Thanks -

T

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've held the HK 9mm compact... not very comfy when compared to the XD, but yet most say they are extremely accurate. I would love to know if the HKs will match XD's 2-3" group at 25 yards.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Nice guns, trigger sucks. Overpriced.
From a ransom rest they as well as the XD's can shoot pretty equal.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The H&Ks are some of the most rugged and reliable pistols ever made. I had a USP .45. Very accurate, great grip, and you could carry it cocked and locked. The USP also has the distinction of being the only plastic pistol that I know of that actually feels like a real pistol and not a toy. The problems are essentially related to a poor trigger, just like every other double action trigger. This is a bigger issue for me because I am a 1911 guy. I got rid of mine because of the trigger, this was still an issue for me even after some serious work was done to it. I prefer the XD trigger over the USP. The USP holds the distinction of being one of only two pistols that I have owned that never malfunctioned even once, regardless of ammo used. I am comparing this to well over 100 pistols that I have owned. Incidently, the only other pistol that I have had that can make the same reliability claim was an inexpensive Taurus 945. I also got rid of it due to a poor trigger and accuracy. You never go wrong with an H&K, but make sure that you can live with the trigger.

ranburr

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
My p2000 has been my primary carry gun since day one. It has taken fed and fired every piece of crap ammo I can find, but the groups do get better w/ higher quality ammo. To give a hint to reliability of the weapon, I went through about 1300 rds of Olympic 124 gr ammo (this stuff is right there w/ Wolf in dirt and reliability) before it malfunctioned. couple drops of Hoppe's on the slide rail and it didn't miss a beat the rest of the weekend which ended up w/ a round count somewhere around 1700 iirc. I have even done malfunction drills picking up empty brass from other guns on the ground and loading it in my magazine and 9/10 times the only clue I have that I have an empty in the mag is when I pull the trigger and it goes click instead of boom. You can't beat feeding empty brass as a measure of reliability.

This gun is a Variant 1 gun which means it has the 4.5# LEM (DAO) trigger. Trigger takeup is rather long, but I look at that as a good thing for a carry pistol for someone who isn't shooting every couple of days. It gives you last last little bit of time to decided to NOT shoot. The reset distance is a bit long for most people's taste, even died in the wool HK fanatics, but w/ a little practice, it becomes a non issue. The recoil buffer also makes for a much less pronounced kick in the hand than my XD's.

I've also shot USP compacts in 9 and 40 and while the grip is a bit bigger than my p2k, they are still manageable w/ my small hands. They are spendy pistols, but I think they are worth it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have an HK USP Compact 40, and I love it. It's incredibly reliable, and out of the box far more accurate then my 9mm XD Tactical. It's really an excellent gun. Only complaint I would have is I also am not in love with the trigger, but that's the nature of the beast with a DA/SA trigger, and I haven't yet tried the LEM trigger on there.

Good luck!

Scott

·
Registered
802 Posts
Great line of Pistols the USPs are...

And I dont have any research but just personal experience, but my Tac will outshoot my XD any day of the week. Its just the difference in workmanship..

Still love my XD though.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I like the ergonomics and the controls, but the trigger is a pos for such an expensive gun. It is however very accurate. I'm speaking from experience with my friend's usp compact .40. I'd never carry hammer down-the DA pull sucks. SA is decent though. I'd rather have a fullsize usp where I could change out to the tactical trigger group. (that's what my friend told me you could do)

If anyone wants a cheap usp compact .40, ky imports had a used one for $440 last time I was there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't own one, but I shoot with a couple of friends that do. They own the USP Expert...paid about $1500.00. While I have shot theirs and I do like them, they rack nice, shoot nice and very accurate...I would never, ever, never, never pay that much for a gun...when I can get everything that theirs has...for about $400-$500 in an XD.
Hell, with that much money...you could buy an XD in every caliber.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
How much are these things usually for a model comparable to an XD service???

·
Registered
339 Posts
Trigger sucks? Tried the LEM model?

The HK Compact .40SW with the LEM trigger (and now the P2000 with the same) is quite possibly, IMNSHO, the ultimate carry gun.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The USPs have increased significantly in price over the last few years. I picked up a USP40 for $450 in 1997 or so. Now they are at least $650 around here.

It was one of those guns I wanted to like but just never could find anything about it to become fond of. The trigger was not very good, the decocker would sometimes act 'sticky' and the plastic checkering was way too sharp. The high bore axis combined with the sharp recoil of the .40 meant that it had a tendency to twist in my hand as I shot it.

It was too big for concealed carry and not very well suited for competition. And given that I was limited to 10-round mags for it, I sold it after a couple years.

I've seen a few USP Compacts going for $550 or so and have been mildly tempted from time to time, but I frankly don't care if I ever own another.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Me likey a lot. The trigger does seem to suck when dry firing a USP but I don’t even notice it when actually shooting the thing. My XD has a sweet Canyon Creek competition trigger job but I can’t shoot it as well as my USP. I shoot the USP better than anything except for a 1911 and some days I even shoot the USP better than my 1911.

I recently rented the Mark 23 which has a better feeling trigger for an H&K but I was very inconsistent with it. I’ve just gotten used to the standard USP trigger and it works for me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I must have gotten a lemon.The USP I bought new in 94
was a overpriced jammomatic P.O.S. It was an early model
with non-captive recoil spring and non polygonal barrel.Trigger
wasn`t bad at all better than a glock trigger.I really liked it,
the fit and finish was exceptional. but it was not reliable.
Jams every 5-7rounds are not acceptable.I tried other mags,
ammo,shaking chicken bones over it,etc,etc,.I probably should
have sent it back to HK,but being young and dumb I grew tired
of it and sold it cheap.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The HK P7 was actually what I was looking for when I bought my XD. Do you how much one of those costs?! Too much.. well, not too much, just more than I wanted to spend. The XD has similar features, and the salesman convinced me, that for what I wanted to spend I would get more bang for my buck buying the XD. I think he was right. I am very happy with my XD. I still want that HK P7... but I can wait until I can afford it. Meanwhile, my collection is building, slowly, but surely.

Raymond

·
Registered
35 Posts
I absolutley LOVE my HK's. I have 2 full size USP's, 9mm and a .45SS. Accurate, reliable and for me comfortable in my hands (I know some people don't like the feel). My .45 is a 2000 (AA) model that has only had one jam since new, and that was a Wolf round that the bullet was just a bit long and jammed going up the feed ramp. My 9mm is a 1995 (KF) model that has never given me any problems to date. I fire one of the two weekly, at least 100 rounds, sometimes both of them. The trigger does have a good amount of creep, but I'm fine with it. In SA it's not bad at all, and I've just recently decided to get the match trigger (the one in the tactical model) installed in both. The LEM has the same feel in DA, but in SA it's one of the smoothest pulls you'll ever feel. If any of the HK's feel good in your hand and you like the trigger pull (or don't mind it), they'll be a great weapon for you for a long time. All come with a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've shot the USP standard in a .40s&w and a USP Expert in a .45acp. I enjoyed shooting both very much. THe slide action is incredibly smooth. Both are capable of being carried "Cocked and Locked"as they say which is with the hammer pulled back and teh manual safety engaged. Thats a nice feature that i like. But regardless, this is a quality gun that you really have to shoot to appreciate the feel of. I really like how well it softens the recoil. Makes shooting the .40 feel like a 9.

Things i don't like are the larger grips, as i have small hands, and the fact that the slide lock lever is positioned farther forward making it more difficult to reach with my thumb, again because of small hands. However, i undestand that the p2000 and p2000sk have varying sizes of removable backstraps to accomodate smaller hands, so that may solve my biggest problem with HK. The USP's also come with a more proprietary accessory rail that is not compatible with the more standard weaver/picatinny rails like we have on our xd's, glocks, berettas.

Overall, i'm a fan of HK even despite teh high prices.

·
Registered
114 Posts
tucansam said:
Trigger sucks? Tried the LEM model?

The HK Compact .40SW with the LEM trigger (and now the P2000 with the same) is quite possibly, IMNSHO, the ultimate carry gun.
Haven't gotten a chance to try one with the LEM trigger. I'd like to though. I like the feel and function of the gun and it is quite accurate. I just wish prices hadn't gone up so much. My friend bought his a couple years ago and they sell for around 200 more now.

Of course SA was kind enough to jack up the HS2000 price too in a shorter period of time. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts