Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bought a buttload of 185 gr Gaurdian mag techs on clearance from midway. super great price. also got a pile of .40 gold sabers on clearance near half off!!!

what data do you start your charges with for mag tech hollow points????

.45acp mag techs

also what data is comparable to .40 gold sabers???

I saved 130$ on a 300$ order. woop woop

shop clearance don't be a sucker lol!!!!!

should I just find a bullet with similiar profile and s.d.????

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I personally have never used the Magtech bullets, though I do recall reading someone's impression of them some time ago as decent. You might try measuring the gliding surface or that part of the bullet that actually touches the inside of the barrel and compare that to specs from other bullets to see what loadings might be appropriate. There will still be the matter of the hardness and "slippery-ness" of the bullet material, but that will only matter at the absolute high end of the loading spectrum, so start in the middle and work up slowly with any powder you might try.

The Golden Sabers are a well known commodity, and there are plenty of specific loads listed for them from the various powder manufacturers. You can be pretty much assured that any data from other hollowpoints of the same weight will be suitable, because the Golden Sabers have a "driving band" or fat spot on them that limits the friction when fired as the whole bullet diameter does not fully engage the inside of the barrel. So generally GS bullets will take higher charge loads because they induce less pressure than most other bullets. Again, start out in the middle of recommended loadings and work up to the allowable limit or somewhat less to suit your application.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally have never used the Magtech bullets, though I do recall reading someone's impression of them some time ago as decent. You might try measuring the gliding surface or that part of the bullet that actually touches the inside of the barrel and compare that to specs from other bullets to see what loadings might be appropriate. There will still be the matter of the hardness and "slippery-ness" of the bullet material, but that will only matter at the absolute high end of the loading spectrum, so start in the middle and work up slowly with any powder you might try.

The Golden Sabers are a well known commodity, and there are plenty of specific loads listed for them from the various powder manufacturers. You can be pretty much assured that any data from other hollowpoints of the same weight will be suitable, because the Golden Sabers have a "driving band" or fat spot on them that limits the friction when fired as the whole bullet diameter does not fully engage the inside of the barrel. So generally GS bullets will take higher charge loads because they induce less pressure than most other bullets. Again, start out in the middle of recommended loadings and work up to the allowable limit or somewhat less to suit your application.

sounds along the lines of what I will do. Thanks for the info, I've been trying to get some gold sabers forever and I finally get them at 20 per 100. I will work charges up and post chrono data ASAP. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found out the mag tech gold guardians are lead cores coated in brass. the brass is so soft it is supposed to help with allowing the HP to fully expand. they look mean. I will post pics of recovered and weighed bullets and chrono data when thru. I'm curious to see how these are gonna hold together.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I decided on running

7.5-8.1 unique @ 1.265". (904-1015 fps)

5.6-6.4. Bullseye @ 1.23". (850-976fps)

8.2-9.1 Longshot. This charge seems heavy, but it's the load data for 185 gr xtps from Hornady, and I've ran that ladder w/ the xtps and settled on 8.8 gr for those. so I am using that data and proceeding carefully since I'm substituting a new bullet. @ 1.24". (850-1050 fps)

7.1-7.8 N340 @ 1.235" (951 - 1076 fps)

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I like Longshot in several calibers. I'll wager that you cross 1050fps with the 185grn bullet sometime before you hit 9grns though, even at 1.24" OAL. Anytime I have used Longshot in a decent length barrel (4.5-5.25") I get more velocity than Hodgdon predicts and with no pressure signs.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like Longshot in several calibers. I'll wager that you cross 1050fps with the 185grn bullet sometime before you hit 9grns though, even at 1.24" OAL. Anytime I have used Longshot in a decent length barrel (4.5-5.25") I get more velocity than Hodgdon predicts and with no pressure signs.

the hodgdon data is only for swc in 185s. I'm using hornady s data for that one.
I've already ran that ladder using the 185 xtp s and yes I did reach 1000 + fps at 8.5 grains I believe. 8.8 was averaged in at 1016 fps. 9.1 took me up to 1050. those were set coal to 1.213".
I made that whole box of xtp s at 8.7-8.8 grains. great powder .

also these mag techs are very concave or recessed at the base of the bullet. and the outer coating is made of brass, much softer than the xtps I'm imagining???

I'm wondering if they are going to act more like a plated bullet bc brass Is pretty soft.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
the hodgdon data is only for swc in 185s. I'm using hornady s data for that one.
I've already ran that ladder using the 185 xtp s and yes I did reach 1000 + fps at 8.5 grains I believe. 8.8 was averaged in at 1016 fps. 9.1 took me up to 1050. those were set coal to 1.213".
I made that whole box of xtp s at 8.7-8.8 grains. great powder .

also these mag techs are very concave or recessed at the base of the bullet. and the outer coating is made of brass, much softer than the xtps I'm imagining???

I'm wondering if they are going to act more like a plated bullet bc brass Is pretty soft.
Well... now that you have some chrono data as a baseline using the XTP's, you could load some of the Magtech bullets using some of your lighter Longshot loads and compare them. Try to compare the amount of the bullet that is INSIDE the case and adjust accordingly which may vary the actual OAL slightly. If the difference is small, say less than .003" or so, then the same OAL can be used. If the Magtechs are faster, then they are producing more pressure and so caution should be exercised as you load heavier loads. If they are going slower, then they are producing less pressure and you can safely load them to at least the same load densities as the XTP bullets. Keep track as you increase the loadings with the Magtechs to make sure you are getting "linear" data... that is, small increases in powder return expected increases in velocity. If they remain as linear as the XTP bullets using the same charges, then you have a winner!

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea I follow that logic. I will look for that start charge and reference the data i already have. one difference bt the bullets I've noticed without measuring the mag techs yet is the MTs are very concave at the base and definetly coated with a softer material over lead.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts