Springfield XD Forum banner

What cleaning tools/kit do you use?

6K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  Diocoles 
#1 ·
I was wondering what type cleaning kit you use? I moved to a Otis kit after I picked up my XDm. I still use H9 solvent, seems to work better then the Otis solvent. I only lube my rails so I just picked up some generic lube, I need to find a good brand lube if any one has any info on some.

#3 ·
Hoppe's kit here. Q-Tips, NON CHLORINATED Brake parts cleaner. I am looking into getting some Slide Glide though, I just haven't done it.

#6 ·
I use hoppes solvent and oil. OP, if you already use the Hoppes solvent, why not use the oil too?
I have the oil and use a drop here and there. I was wondering if a lube would be better on the rails. There really isn't much to oil/lube on the Xdm.

I like the Otis snakes, cleaning patches and tools but their solvent does not compare to the H9. I watched the vid on frog lube but haven't seen anyone chatting about.

#8 ·
Not to hi-jack...but the other night I was doing a general wipe-down of my guns and after reading here about using Q-tips, I started doing so. I was amazed at the amount of dirt/crap build-up I discovered using them that, otherwise I wouldn't have found.
Good point. I will do that and see what I am missing.

#9 ·
In another thread I started, I detailed how I built my kit.

In the travel section at Walmart (or elsewhere) get the plastic rectangular soap holders. They hold a lot of Q-tips and cleaning patches perfectly.

Get the travel q-tip plastic case and fold up your silicone cloth and it fits nicely in there (mine did anyway).

The q-tip case is also the perfect size for the foam ear plugs. I put 8 or 10 pair in mine, in case I bring a guest shooting.

The tooth brush holders were a perfect fit for my nylon brushes I picked up at my local indoor range. Two brushes bristes in just fit.

The snap caps and chamber flags are in a AA battery case I picked up online for $1.

Finally the brushes and jags for my cleaning kit are in the ear plug case with the chain.

#10 ·
In another thread I started, I detailed how I built my kit.

In the travel section at Walmart (or elsewhere) get the plastic rectangular soap holders. They hold a lot of Q-tips and cleaning patches perfectly.

Get the travel q-tip plastic case and fold up your silicone cloth and it fits nicely in there (mine did anyway).

The q-tip case is also the perfect size for the foam ear plugs. I put 8 or 10 pair in mine, in case I bring a guest shooting.

The tooth brush holders were a perfect fit for my nylon brushes I picked up at my local indoor range. Two brushes bristes in just fit.

The snap caps and chamber flags are in a AA battery case I picked up online for $1.

Finally the brushes and jags for my cleaning kit are in the ear plug case with the chain.

Good ideas. I am going to use a couple of them.

#11 ·
I have a very small plastic tool box I got from WalMart a very long time ago,that carries my kit items needed for pistol cleaning or a quick fix..

All of my cleaning mixes, oil and grease are placed in smaller containers. I carry dental picks brush's and jags. I cut my own patches from a couple of yards of cotten linen material I bought at WalMart. I also use Q tips and thick pipe cleaners I buy from the tabacconist store. I carry a treated linen rag to wipe down my pistols with.

Tool wise I have a micro set of drivers,files,a Leatherman and a wood dowel to knock out bore squibs.

#13 ·
#14 ·
This may be a stupid question but are you guys buying a seperate snake for each gun? Was asking because my Otis kit came with two snakes and all I have to do is change the tips for the cal of gun I am cleaning.

Here is the kit I picked up - Otis Technology

#15 ·
#17 ·
Standard issue.....but will sell if interested in one.
Keep it, its a cool tool.

I ran across it on Sear's website. If it had more screw on tips you could change I would buy it. I think it was $80.

#20 ·
I use the basic Hoppe's pistol kit, CLP, and Tetra Gun Grease.

Am gonna have to check out what this bore snake is all about.

#21 ·
#23 ·
FrogLube is NOT interchangeable with other CLPs. FrogLube is an alkali and all others cleaners and lubes are acids. They cancel each each other out.

Once you use FrogLube, you won't want to use anything else. FrogLube does not let carbon stick to the weapon, in fact, it will dissolve carbon. FrogLube increases lubrication as you shoot. It stops oxidation and cleaning is as easy as wiping the gun down.

FrogLube has a minty smell and is safe to use in the house without extra ventilation or gloves. FrogLube is great on knives, locks, hinges, etc.

SIG Academy, law enforcement and Seals are using FrogLube.

#24 ·
:oops:

I've got a frankenstein's nightmare of a collection.

I've decided to get a proper tool box. Seeing this thread gave me the idea of how to put to use my empty pistol cases. Thanks for the idea...

Now when to do it. At least it'll be fun to start...

Snake is there.
Different lubes for different applications.
Mostly CLP.
Nice punch set and hammer with brass/plastic head.
and a lot of little things including some 10-8 tools. Those are really nice.
I screwed my first one up and Hilton sent me a few replacements. They're cool. The armorer's tool. Little tweasers and screwdrivers and home made tools...

This is just so much FUN. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.