Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what type cleaning kit you use? I moved to a Otis kit after I picked up my XDm. I still use H9 solvent, seems to work better then the Otis solvent. I only lube my rails so I just picked up some generic lube, I need to find a good brand lube if any one has any info on some.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I use Hoppes #9 solvent and Hoppes gun oil (orange bottle). My silicone towel is infused with the gun oil and stays in a zip lock bag. Will be simplifying things greatly come Christmas when I can ask for Bore Snakes for my handguns as stocking stuffers.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Hoppe's kit here. Q-Tips, NON CHLORINATED Brake parts cleaner. I am looking into getting some Slide Glide though, I just haven't done it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Bore snake for my .22, getting a 9mm snake for my new xd today. Hoppes cleaner, want to get slide grease today too. Tooth brush for small parts and such...

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I use hoppes solvent and oil. OP, if you already use the Hoppes solvent, why not use the oil too?
I have the oil and use a drop here and there. I was wondering if a lube would be better on the rails. There really isn't much to oil/lube on the Xdm.

I like the Otis snakes, cleaning patches and tools but their solvent does not compare to the H9. I watched the vid on frog lube but haven't seen anyone chatting about.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Not to hi-jack...but the other night I was doing a general wipe-down of my guns and after reading here about using Q-tips, I started doing so. I was amazed at the amount of dirt/crap build-up I discovered using them that, otherwise I wouldn't have found.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to hi-jack...but the other night I was doing a general wipe-down of my guns and after reading here about using Q-tips, I started doing so. I was amazed at the amount of dirt/crap build-up I discovered using them that, otherwise I wouldn't have found.
Good point. I will do that and see what I am missing.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
In another thread I started, I detailed how I built my kit.

In the travel section at Walmart (or elsewhere) get the plastic rectangular soap holders. They hold a lot of Q-tips and cleaning patches perfectly.

Get the travel q-tip plastic case and fold up your silicone cloth and it fits nicely in there (mine did anyway).

The q-tip case is also the perfect size for the foam ear plugs. I put 8 or 10 pair in mine, in case I bring a guest shooting.

The tooth brush holders were a perfect fit for my nylon brushes I picked up at my local indoor range. Two brushes bristes in just fit.

The snap caps and chamber flags are in a AA battery case I picked up online for $1.

Finally the brushes and jags for my cleaning kit are in the ear plug case with the chain.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In another thread I started, I detailed how I built my kit.

In the travel section at Walmart (or elsewhere) get the plastic rectangular soap holders. They hold a lot of Q-tips and cleaning patches perfectly.

Get the travel q-tip plastic case and fold up your silicone cloth and it fits nicely in there (mine did anyway).

The q-tip case is also the perfect size for the foam ear plugs. I put 8 or 10 pair in mine, in case I bring a guest shooting.

The tooth brush holders were a perfect fit for my nylon brushes I picked up at my local indoor range. Two brushes bristes in just fit.

The snap caps and chamber flags are in a AA battery case I picked up online for $1.

Finally the brushes and jags for my cleaning kit are in the ear plug case with the chain.

Good ideas. I am going to use a couple of them.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I have a very small plastic tool box I got from WalMart a very long time ago,that carries my kit items needed for pistol cleaning or a quick fix..

All of my cleaning mixes, oil and grease are placed in smaller containers. I carry dental picks brush's and jags. I cut my own patches from a couple of yards of cotten linen material I bought at WalMart. I also use Q tips and thick pipe cleaners I buy from the tabacconist store. I carry a treated linen rag to wipe down my pistols with.

Tool wise I have a micro set of drivers,files,a Leatherman and a wood dowel to knock out bore squibs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This may be a stupid question but are you guys buying a seperate snake for each gun? Was asking because my Otis kit came with two snakes and all I have to do is change the tips for the cal of gun I am cleaning.

Here is the kit I picked up - Otis Technology

·
Registered
7,687 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
That is a cool tool. Did the Army really "Give" you that or did you have to pay for it like most of you equipment?
Standard issue.....but will sell if interested in one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Standard issue.....but will sell if interested in one.
Keep it, its a cool tool.

I ran across it on Sear's website. If it had more screw on tips you could change I would buy it. I think it was $80.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I think I'm going to try out Froglube. There are a lot of testimonials to check out on the website. As well as some videos on YouTube.

http://www.froglube.com/

·
Registered
763 Posts
Keep it, its a cool tool.

I ran across it on Sear's website. If it had more screw on tips you could change I would buy it. I think it was $80.
they are interchangeable with Otis products

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I use the basic Hoppe's pistol kit, CLP, and Tetra Gun Grease.

Am gonna have to check out what this bore snake is all about.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts