Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Subject gun is a new XD9 Tactical. Gun fired, slide retracted, jammed. Here's what I saw: Fresh round butted up against the backside if the just fired case which was still fully in the chamber. I'm sure the spent case backed out then went back in followed by the fresh round. I guess this is a failure to EJECT more than a failure to EXTRACT. What causes this? Is it a timing issue or just a fluke or what? :?

·
Registered
539 Posts
sounds like your describing a double feed.... hasn't happened on my xd yet. i forget what causes that malfunction... sorrie.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Look at your ejector, see if there's a jagged edge, could've snapped off.

Ejector is on the left side of the frame when you look down thru the top of the pistol with the grip nearest to you.

Given though if the casing was extracted, I don't see the possibility of it feeding back into the barrel with another round protruding up to the top of the mag.

·
Registered
223 Posts
What kind of ammo? If this was a +p load in thin brass, it could be the ejector simply didn't get a good enough hold to pull the round out before the slide came forward. I'm just pulling ideas out here, I've never seen that in a semi, but some of my revolvers get brass caught up in them when I'm shooting hot loads - and they're TOUGH to get out.

T

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ttheobald said:
What kind of ammo? If this was a +p load in thin brass, it could be the ejector simply didn't get a good enough hold to pull the round out before the slide came forward. I'm just pulling ideas out here, I've never seen that in a semi, but some of my revolvers get brass caught up in them when I'm shooting hot loads - and they're TOUGH to get out.

T
S&B 115 FMJ - pretty run of the mill stuff...

·
Registered
208 Posts
i had the same issue when i shot WWB. i couldnt figure it out so i went all in and replaced the guide rod and spring, extractor and ammo....Works like a charm since then. i have heard if the spring is not strong enough the slide will slam back to fast and not grip the brass...and i also heard that the extractor's tension may loosen....i didnt know which so i did both. The new 18 pound spring on the XD is alot stronger than my factory one. The spring from the factory is suppose to be 18 pounds as well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ampleworks said:
Look at your ejector, see if there's a jagged edge, could've snapped off.

Ejector is on the left side of the frame when you look down thru the top of the pistol with the grip nearest to you.
Checked the ejector and it looks good. Actually looks kinda wimpy compared to the 1911 ejectors but it is intact.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Double feed.

slide to slide lock

drop mag
rack slide to eject round.

Your extractor did not pick up the brass to pull it out of the chamber.

If it persists you have a problems, broken extractor..... or poor extractor tension.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts