Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last April I started competing in USPSA which stands for US Practical Shooting Association. They are affiliated with IPSC which is the world governing body for this sport. I started shooting IPSC because I wanted to be more challenged in my shooting, and I wanted to improve my shooting skills as much as possible.

Starting out I was planning to shoot my Steyr M9, but I was having some trouble locating a good holster and mag pouches. I found someone that was a selling a used XD40 here on XDtalk, he wanted $360 for the gun plus 4 mags. It was much easier finding a holster and some mag pouches for the XD. I started out shooting in the Production Division with my bone stock XD40. I felt at a slight disadvantage because most of the other guys in the Production Division were shooting 9mm and I was shooting .40 S&W., but I was shooting very well so I didn’t care. About half way through the summer I went into a slump. I wanted to blame everything but myself, but the bottom line was I was getting too cocky and taking the stages too fast. I slowed down and my scores started improving again. As my scores started to improve I decided that it was time to get rid of the .40 and get a good 9mm. Last fall I had heard about the great work that Rich at Canyon Creek can do with a XD. I started budgeting for a new XD and the gunsmithing which would cost almost as much as the gun.

After saving up my pennies and nickels I was able to purchase a brand spanking new SA XD9 Tactical model. I sent it directly to Rich so that he could get it tweaked out for me. I spared no expense and had Rich do almost everything that he could do to my new XD. I think the total time it took for Rich to work on my gun and send it back was 5 days!!

What I had done:

* Tungsten Insert Guide Rod $35.00
* Extended Magazine Release $25.00
* Skate Tape Wrap $5.00
* Full competition trigger job 2# $135
* Front site install $15
* Complete Refinish of all external metal parts $100
* Shipping $20

Today I was able to shoot it at the range and was completely blown away at how nicely this gun shoots! I was expecting a big difference, but nothing like what I have now. This gun is like a dream come true. If you have been sitting on the fence and thinking about sending your XD to Rich, quit sitting around on your butt and mail the thing out! If you shoot IDPA or IPSC you owe it to yourself to get your gun worked on by the best XD smith in the business.

Prices quoted are from memory so they might no be 100% correct.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Very nice!

What kind of finish was applied, plating or spray on? Looks great.

How did you get by with just $20 shipping??? Or is that return only?

·
Registered
342 Posts
awesome gun. BTW, how do you get awesome pics like that?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I remember correctly Rich uses Gun Kote finishing products which is a spray on finish that is then baked on after it is applied.

I was just figuring on shipping in one direction. I guess I don't remember how much it cost to get it to him.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The two most important things for taking good pictures of firearms are a good light source, and a really good digital camera. I just built a workbench in my basement and put up a ton of lights so the lighting was not problem. Last Oct I bought a Sony MVC-CD500 digital camera it cost around $600. It takes the most amazing pictures. I problably took close to 55 pictures last night and ended up with about 8 that I really liked. That is the beauty of digi cams you can take as many pictures as you want.

·
Registered
309 Posts
My XD-9 Service should be arriving at Rich's shop today!!! I can't wait to get it back. Reading these threads about Rich's work makes me crazy with anticipation.

I am getting the following done.

Trigger, competition
Sights, Dawson Fiber .100 front and rear
Gun Kote, slide and small parts
Slide tightening

·
Registered
173 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I thought that I read in one of those, or maybe both, rulebooks that Tungston Guide Rods are illegal for competition use.

Nice pistol though. I thought about getting the Trigger job done.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kind of thought so too, but Rich is a IPSC Grand Master with the XD and he said you can add up to 2 oz of weight to the front of a produciton pistol. I am sure he would know better then I would.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I believe the rules say that you can't used a guide rod that is denser than standard steel.

Though, I don't compete, and don't keep up with the rules. :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There is a 2 oz limit on how much you can increase the weight of a production gun. Since the guide rod is an internal modification I couldn't see any restricitons in the USPSA rule book.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Although I'm certainly not a USPSA rules expert, from what I read in the rulebook, and from what I understand, the tungsten guide rod is legal, as long as the weight of the gun doesn't increase by more then 2 oz. Note, this is true for USPSA, the IPSC rules are different (if you shoot outside the US).

I'm considering most of the same things you've done to yours, but I'm still on the fence about the tungsten guide rod. Does it "feel" different than the standard rod? I know that might be hard to tell, cause you just had a bunch of stuff done, but what do you think?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I didn't find it in the USPSA rulebook, but I did find it in the IDPA rulebook. So, that must be where I saw it.

"B. Add-on weights for a competitive advantage (this includes, but is not limited to, weighted magazines, tungsten guide rods, brass magazine wells, weighted grips)."

Straight from the IDPA rulebook.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This was the first time that I ever shot a Tactical XD so I really don't have anything to compare it to. Part of reason for going to the Tac XD is that it is longer and heavier. THe extra weight can only be a good thing in my opinion.

I should ask Rich if he can send me the original so that I can compare the two.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
There may be some variation in the factory rods in the 5" model. One member reports 0.75 oz and another reports 0.85 oz. The tungsten rods that I have turned out come in about 3.1 oz, or around 2.25-2.35 oz heavier.

If someone wants a rod that is nudging right at 2.00 oz heavier, I can bore into the back end of a tungsten rod and make it any weight asked for. This would keep the weight as far forward as possible helping reduce muzzle flip, and still meet the weight restriction. How they check the weight at a match is another matter out of my hands. :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I thought about having Rich lighten the slide then I could put in a heavier guide rod in, but right now I need improve my shooting more then I need to improve my gun.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
seeing posts like this literally makes me sick...I will never be able to afford such cool things! :p

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I work a second job so I have some money to buy guns. My day job pays the bills and puts money in savings, but my weekend job helps me buy all the fun toys.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Rich from Canyon Creek told me that he received my gun on Monday. I cant wait to get it back, how exciting. My birthday is Friday, so I am looking forward for a late birthday present.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I thought about starting my own private business for some extra money, but havin dude's wearin the black suits tearin my shed apart would really make me mad. I really like my shed. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts