Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all seen someone who, or struggled ourselves, to find a holster that fits our gun/light combo.
My approach was to find light bearing holsters I liked for my gun and choose a light from the holster maker's list.
I can't be the only one to take this approach.

• Helpful
Reactions: robert1952

·
Registered
14 Posts
You’re not the first….but MANY folks assume the light they buy, that has 9,000 sales, will have a holster out there that fits it.

After the first one, everyone figures it out, and that is part of the reason certain lights have a holster made by 12 different makers….the holster ends up driving light selection, which causes a feedback loop. I have several inexpensive but perfectly functional lights, but the holster makers will force me to buy a TLR at 2-3 times the price. Thus, the holster guys all think they only ever need to make TLR variants. We all gripe, but most of us don’t call the company, so if you do….you’re the oddball, and they can’t help you.

Then….the gun drives it too. A Glock 19 and a Baldr….no sweat. An XDM Elite and a Baldr? Nope.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There's the fact that there are seeming tens of thousands of holster makers out there, so one has the option to have a custom holster made if one so chooses. There really isn't any reason to have to settle.

I typically research what are some of the best, most popular, most recommended lights, lasers, etc on the market, then after deciding what light is best for me, I look for a holster. 99% of the time, many holster makers will support that light. It's basically the same concept, but I am NOT going to ditch the light I decided on IF a holster I really like doesn't make holsters for the model light I choose. I will pick the best holster that I like the most that supports the light I choose to use.

I don't tend to want to use products that are widely used or vetted, so I don’t normally pick random Amazon or Ebay accessories. I don't every have a problem with finding a holster, but even if I did, I'd just have one custom made.

·
Registered
14 Posts
On the other hand….a budget $65 light buyer probably isn’t going to want to spend $125 on a custom built holster.

Maybe the old trope should be modified to “spend as much on your holster, as you do on your light…but don’t buy a cheap light”.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get a Surefire or Streamlight, instead of some off-brand light…makes it a lot easier.
What is “off brand” in terms of weapons lights? Cheap? Low volume? Not on the “list”?

Olight is not off-brand. There are others trying to get into the game, making solid lights…at what point do they make the list?

I have several Tacticon lights. Solid, magnetic charging, veteran owned company. They aren’t on any list…but they’re a good light, at a good price, like $65 or less.

·
Registered
30,175 Posts
What is “off brand” in terms of weapons lights? Cheap? Low volume? Not on the “list”?

Olight is not off-brand. There are others trying to get into the game, making solid lights…at what point do they make the list?

I have several Tacticon lights. Solid, magnetic charging, veteran owned company. They aren’t on any list…but they’re a good light, at a good price, like $65 or less.
I’d say the market determines that…and the fact is, there’s more Surefires and Streamlights out there.

As for the rest…if you’re happy with the lights, good for you. Just don’t expect there to be a lot of holster options for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts