Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to plan my AR build and I don't know what I should choose or what all of the choices are. Pros/Cons suggestions ? I have not purchased any parts yet.

·
Registered
409 Posts
5.56 / .223

Ammo will be there when you want it.

There are other fine choices however.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Your first should always be a .223/5.56 for the reasons mentioned above... Now, the second and third... ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Your first should always be a .223/5.56 for the reasons mentioned above... Now, the second and third... ;)
Want more options? Then get more uppers (or complete rifles for that matter). I agree with everyone else 5.56 first. Personally my "pet" upper is a 6.5 Grendel I have had my eye one. Or maybe a 6.8SPC. Oh bother......

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recall reading somewhere that either the .223 or 5.56 was prefered over the other. One could use both rounds and the other could only use what it was spec'd for ?

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... I think I'll go with the 5.56 .

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
get a 5.56 first

and then for your second
if you want long range get the 6.5 grendel as it preforms much better long range then 6.8 SPC

if you want close range get a 450 bushmaster or 458 socom or 50 beowulf
i like the 450 bushmaster because ammos is made by a major ammo company (hornady) and it uses the same diamiter bullets as a 45 acp. my second choice would be 50 beowulf since its the biggest cartridge you can get in a semiauto ar15

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I can't complain about my .223 and I think it's a good set-up for the first rifle. I've even built two of them. I might do a .308 next though.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Without a doubt...get a 5.56 for your first build.

After that, I'd look at a 308 if you want to move up, or a 6.5 Grendel that you can just get an upper/ammo/mags and use your AR-15 lower.

·
Registered
902 Posts
+1 on this :mrgreen:

...and if you go suppressed you can use a 7.62 model on a 6.8, 6.5, 5.56mm , etc. upper, but it won't be as quiet.

After that, I'd look at a 308 if you want to move up, or a 6.5 Grendel that you can just get an upper/ammo/mags and use your AR-15 lower.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Others suggest 5.56, but I would suggest 7.62 NATO. Yes I own an AR-10 and love it, but I would NOT recommend Armalite simply because of the magazine prices. I just ordered ten 20 round mags @ nearly $560. DPMS upper with a CMMG G3 lower would be the best combo as G3 mags can be had for $5 each. Had CMMG had this lower when I was buying a rifle, I would have gone that direction. I still may go that way and sell my Armalite and mags.

·
Premium Member
11,114 Posts
1+ agree! You might want to starting looking for your lower's if you plan to build one. They are hard to come by. I just ordered a stripped upper and lower through Red River Tactical. :cool:

·
Registered
359 Posts
My first build was a 9mm. It was a pretty straightforward (although slightly more expensive build).

The initial investment is a bit higher than a 5.56, but the cost differential in ammunition pays off real quick.

That's another caliber to consider...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes, the caliber conundrum is upon me as well. I have one more lower to build on and I already have (2) 5.56 set-ups, a 9mm set-up, and a 7.62 set-up. I am tossing around another 5.56 in an A2 CAR or a 6.8.

·
Registered
536 Posts
RoninSteel, could you send me a pic of your DPMS/CMMG-G3? my buddy is wanting to thin out the safe and this sounds like something he'd really like. he's built several before. pm on the pic is fine. thanks. michael

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Others suggest 5.56, but I would suggest 7.62 NATO. Yes I own an AR-10 and love it, but I would NOT recommend Armalite simply because of the magazine prices. I just ordered ten 20 round mags @ nearly $560. DPMS upper with a CMMG G3 lower would be the best combo as G3 mags can be had for $5 each. Had CMMG had this lower when I was buying a rifle, I would have gone that direction. I still may go that way and sell my Armalite and mags.
PM me when you do. Which 10 do you have?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts