Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a preference on which brass is used when reloading 9mm ammo? I was talking to my dad the other day and he has an old (20 yrs or so) reloading book that says not to use anything but Speer brass for some reason. He mentioned something about the crimp too, I've done a bit of reading and forwarded him a bunch of threads about the crimping issue. But didn't ever come across something that commented on different brands of brass. If you guys have any info I would really appreciate it. PM me if you have any tips how to get the crimp adjusted right or any other tid bits on reloading. If we could keep this thread on which brass takes reloading better I think it would keep things a bit cleaner here in the Ammo Can. :) Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
well if you build up a load using a specific brass yu should lower it again and build back up when switching brass or any component for that matter. its probably not a big deal but better safe then sorry. but if you are loading a pretty low power load yo probably dont have to worry its just when you get to the higher end thats a concern

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any other opinions or info on if there is one brand of brass that is better than the other? I guess my question is, is there any difference in casings from one brand to another?

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any other opinions or info on if there is one brand of brass that is better than the other? I guess my question is, is there any difference in casings from one brand to another?

If we reload with 115gr fmjs how much powder should we put behind it? Do any of you know how much powder wwb has in em?

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Range brass workks for me. And I have neverhad a porblem in switching for one brand of brass to another. Itf it is a compressed load that fills the case like .223 then there might be a problem.

Which reminds me, I need to go to the closest public range and get some more 9mm and 45 brass.
YMMV

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

If we reload with 115gr fmjs how much powder should we put behind it? Do any of you know how much powder wwb has in em?
I reload 115gr fmj's and put 4.7 grains of bullseye behind them...

BUT...get yourself a manual....don't use my load, research for yourself. THAT is the only safe way to reload....

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
All my 9mm brass is range brass, all kinds. As long as they are not Berdan primed (they break my decap pin), I load them. Once in a while when I size a case, it will feel like it takes less pressure to size it and I toss it into the scrap pile. Next time I'll pay attention to what brand it is and maybe check out the wall thickness.

If you want tips, we need more information. What kind of crimp die are you using?

Before you duplicate what the factory load is, you need to verify exactly what it is. This is sometimes difficult as ammo manufacturers sometimes load using "blended" powders. Also, all different lots of powder usually vary in burn rates. To just copy a factory load may not give you the desired results in either performance or accuracy. I reload to tune a load to my particular weapon.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Almost forgot, the manual that says to use Speer brass is probably a Speer manual. You need a newer manual!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I use RPU (Range Pick Up), it consists of all kinds, but my loads are NEVER to the max end of the spectrum much less over the max. In fact, spent 3.5 hours loading up 1000 9mm today.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again for all the replies. The fam and I are heading down to my parents house for Thanks Giving tomorrow. I'll get some more info on exactly what dies and such my dad's got. What manual would be a good one to get for him? I'm completely lost when it comes to this stuff I'm just the middle man. :) Thanks guys. Have a happy Thanks Giving. I'll check back in when I have some more info.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The Lyman manual was one that was suggested to me when I got into it and took over some of Dad's gear and purchased my 550b. Speer and Hogdons are other good ones as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts