Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm very new to the wonderful world of guns and gun maintenance. I just assembled my very first AR build and can't wait to fire it for the first time!!!!!

I have a cleaning kit on order already, but want to also add a bore snake to my cleaning arsenal.

I've been lurking on forums and comparing different snakes, but the more I read the less I seem to know. As an aircraft mechanic, I am probably overthinking the cleaning and lubrication process, but I am a believer in good, preventative maintenance.

My question: What is a decent snake? Some of them have copper brushes sewn into them, some have threaded detachable jags, some appear just to be a woven tube. What do you guys like best? What, (if anything), should I steer clear of?

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Get the original, not the "new" viper one.

Snakes work fine at the range for powder fouling, I don't soak them in solvent, but I do have an extra in each caliber for bore oiling prior to storage since I rarely know when I'll get to shoot next.

If you want a more do-all solution, the Otis cord systems work well, but not a "one and done" quick cleaning like a bore snake.

·
Registered
30,175 Posts
Honestly?

A pull-through system (such as OTIS) for the new buyer makes the most sense.

Boresnakes per se do a decent job of making your bore LOOK clean, but really don't clean nearly as well as patches/brushes/solvent.

And, if you don't clean your boresnakes often, it actually can damage your bore with built up gunk in the snake.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get the original, not the "new" viper one.

Snakes work fine at the range for powder fouling, I don't soak them in solvent, but I do have an extra in each caliber for bore oiling prior to storage since I rarely know when I'll get to shoot next.

If you want a more do-all solution, the Otis cord systems work well, but not a "one and done" quick cleaning like a bore snake.
I was leaning towards a simple one like the one you posted. I just didn't know if there was something "special" about certain snakes with the bells and whistles that made them far superior to their predecessors or if it was more on the gimmicky side. I'm sure the extra features do provide some level of function, but it sounds like that function will be addressed with actually cleaning the gun in the first place.

You mentioned an extra snake for oiling prior to storage. Since I'll also be storing the AR for periods between use, is there any benefit to oiling the bore with a dedicated oil snake rather than just a patch?

Honestly?

A pull-through system (such as OTIS) for the new buyer makes the most sense.

Boresnakes per se do a decent job of making your bore LOOK clean, but really don't clean nearly as well as patches/brushes/solvent.

And, if you don't clean your boresnakes often, it actually can damage your bore with built up gunk in the snake.
This was kinda my suspicion. I want to make sure I actually clean the thing, and not just 'feel' like I did. I'll definitely be hitting it with patches, brushes, and solvent as well. Maybe that's a little overkill but I enjoy the cleaning process.

·
Registered
30,175 Posts
I was leaning towards a simple one like the one you posted. I just didn't know if there was something "special" about certain snakes with the bells and whistles that made them far superior to their predecessors or if it was more on the gimmicky side. I'm sure the extra features do provide some level of function, but it sounds like that function will be addressed with actually cleaning the gun in the first place.

You mentioned an extra snake for oiling prior to storage. Since I'll also be storing the AR for periods between use, is there any benefit to oiling the bore with a dedicated oil snake rather than just a patch?

This was kinda my suspicion. I want to make sure I actually clean the thing, and not just 'feel' like I did. I'll definitely be hitting it with patches, brushes, and solvent as well. Maybe that's a little overkill but I enjoy the cleaning process.
Honestly, if you're starting from zero...a 5.56 specific OTIS kit isn't that much more than a snake.

That and a chamber brush will pretty much cover your bore needs.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You mentioned an extra snake for oiling prior to storage. Since I'll also be storing the AR for periods between use, is there any benefit to oiling the bore with a dedicated oil snake rather than just a patch?.
The advantage for me is using it oiled up on multiple bores back to back. For just one rifle, I use a patch.

The OTIS kit is great for portability, but most of my cleaning is done at home with a coated Dewey Rod.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The kit I am going to start off with to complement the snake is probably going to be what is 'advertised' as a GI field kit. I have no idea what is actually standard issue, but I do like the little green pouch and the standard metal rods. Looks solid and reliable, and only what I really need.

This is one example of what I am looking at:
Amazon.com : Xage Gun Cleaning Set - M16 and AR-15 Field Cleaning Kit for All M16 and AR-15 Variants/Mil-Spec Quality with Olive Green Bag : Sports & Outdoors

I was just about to press the order button on Real Avid's gun boss kit when a few reviews got me thinking otherwise but this particular one is only $9.99 so I'd have to question the quality...

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Welcome to GUNZ!!!!! And a double welcome to the death-dealing death-stick that is the Ghost-Gun AR15!!!!!!

:lol:

OK, in all honesty, as long as you've built a quality gun using good components, cleaning is over-rated.

A good AR can literally go thousands upon thousands of rounds with just lubrication, and what's more, over-cleaning is actually detrimental to the weapon.

If you haven't had a chance to do so, take the hour out of your day to watch the late Pat Rogers' final presentation:

He's a noted SME on the platform, and there's a legion of us here in the eastern half of the midwest who, because of his influence, shoot and maintain our weapons in the way he prescribes.

As a Californian, John "Chappy" Chapman should be someone who is familiar to you, given that he was born in Sacramento. Forge Tactical, which home-bases out of the Alliance Police Training Facility here in NE-Ohio ( Alliance Police Training | To Serve & Protect the Citizens of Alliance, Ohio ) is a direct outgrowth of the now defunct EAG Tactical, where he served as an AI to Pat Rogers.

Don't get too hung-up with cleaning the gun. Get out there and have some fun with it. :) That its bore is a bit fouled won't be the reason you're tossing shots ( S.W.A.T. MAGAZINE – FILTHY 14 : Slip 2000 Official Blog ).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a very interesting take on maintenance. He says he never cleans his guns that he doesn't rely on (nightstand guns, carry weapons, etc.). I'm not about to argue with his experience, but as a mechanic I don't think I can subscribe to his maintenance schedule of lube only. I can see this making sense possibly by means of the actuating parts of the gun during the firing process will, as a byproduct of their movement, clear away any buildup that inhibits that components movement during each firing cycle and the rest would collect in more non-consequential areas. Either way, reading between the lines I think this means there is a good case for not "getting too hung up on the cleaning". Makes me feel a little better about having a handle on the maintenance.

Either way, a cleaning kit with good ol' rods and brushes and a Hoppey's snake is on the way tomorrow, so I'll be able to take the firearm down and at least lube it up as it is just in an 'assembled' state at the moment. I'm sure I'm going to laugh at my ignorance once I get down to it and see how simple it is, but nonetheless, I appreciate you guys and your input. It has helped a bunch!

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
^ I really only clean/maintain the guns that I rely on: my training/range-practice copies are just left to themselves, generously lubed. For me, they're my test-beds of durability/reliability: they're there for the expressed purpose of failure, so that I can better understand the hows/whys of such instances. :)

But yup, what you're reading between the lines as the subtext is precisely what we're trying to get across. ;) That a lot of folks are too hung up about having a clean-appearing gun, without truly understanding what needs to be cleaned versus what can wait...and what should simply never be touched. :)

Modern ARs of quality materials and assembly are very, very durable and reliable weapons. Lube them and enjoy them!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think that's what it is. Getting hung up on the cleaning. You hear about guys meticulously cleaning the 'visual' components of their gun's guts and completely neglecting the trigger group components way down deep and other hard to 'see' parts. I'll probably keep a cleaner than average gun, but I won't get to shoot it nearly as much as I want so cleaning it is just an excuse to take it out and play with it:mrgreen:.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey everyone,

I'm very new to the wonderful world of guns and gun maintenance. I just assembled my very first AR build and can't wait to fire it for the first time!!!!!

I have a cleaning kit on order already, but want to also add a bore snake to my cleaning arsenal.

I've been lurking on forums and comparing different snakes, but the more I read the less I seem to know. As an aircraft mechanic, I am probably overthinking the cleaning and lubrication process, but I am a believer in good, preventative maintenance.

My question: What is a decent snake? Some of them have copper brushes sewn into them, some have threaded detachable jags, some appear just to be a woven tube. What do you guys like best? What, (if anything), should I steer clear of?
None, I've used them if you want your gun to be clean they don't work. They'll work for a quick brush through but for deep cleaning they don't work.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.