Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how accurate everyone else was shooting with there XD's. How tight are you shot groups and at what range are you shooting :?:

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
At 5 yards, my groups are 2" or less. Within 25 yards, I can hit a 8" target 95% of the time. I am not a bullseye shooter, just a practical shooter. Perhaps if I tried to shoot for gruops, I could do better.

I know that my XD is more accurate than me. For now, my curent skill level allows me to hear my two favorite phrases: "Two- Down Zero" or "Two Alpha".

I typically practice at 15 yards.

Old School

·
Registered
82 Posts
I practice a little different than most, I think bullseye shooting is a waste of range time

I don't know how tight a group I can shoot But I can Draw from cover and hit 2 IDPA targets in tactical sequence with 3 shots each 2 to the body and 1 to the head in five seconds

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can think of a few reasons why it might be usefull...The first being tis fun, to see what you can hit and how far you can shoot. Also it works on the fundementals of markmanship. People that havnt had the pleasure of all the years experience need to start out with the basics. But I do commend you on your awesome time and shooting. :D

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I hate to admit it but small groups with hand guns arent as important to me any more. My life may depend on my shooting ability so I practice mostly at 15 yds or less but can keep to the center of a Q target out to 50 yds. When I want to shoot small groups I dig out my Ruger Mk2 govt model .22.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
My shooting buddy Don shot this group with my 4" Service from 23 feet right before the gun jammed. I sent it back to Springfield.
Talk about embarassing, Don owns a Glock!

Tom

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I understand that not shoot for small groups and focusing on center of mass, but I think you need to practice both. I do a lot of shooting for center of mass in USPSA shooting but I find my bullseys shooting really help knocking down the long range mini poppers you occasionally see at a club match. I also use a handgun for hunting and bullseye shooting is the only way to go there. With my Ruger Blackhawk in 357mag I shoot 4 inch groups at 50 yards. I owe the deer that much, to place my shot rather than just shoot for center of mass.

mcb

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I really should get into IPSC or the other action shooting sports just because our dept qualification just isnt enough training for real life situations. As far as respecting the quarry I can understand that being a hunter myself but no matter how hard I try I cant respect a dirtbag that would draw down on a uniformed officer. I just have to make sure he is down for the count and in that kind of situation muscle memory is what is going to save my life not fine focus on the sights and not follow through.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't shoot targets too often anymore, I do however shoot alot of cottontails, jackrabbits, coons, skunks, badgers, and gophers with my XD40.

The gun shoots great. I just made a trip to Cabelas yesterday an stocked up on ammo, so I might have to shoot a group or 2.

·
Registered
31 Posts
MentalMarine said:
I was just wondering how accurate everyone else was shooting with there XD's. How tight are you shot groups and at what range are you shooting :?:
I was at the range last weekend shooting at a military shiloette target. At 10 meters was 1.5 to 2 inchs from center, unsupported. 25 meters 2 to 2.25 meters unsupported and at 50 meters was just below the center in the standing supported

SSG Morris
US Army

·
Registered
10 Posts
I shoot at home off of a rest to test loads and bullets for best accuracy, with my XD 9 Tactical 5 inch at 30 feet or 10 yards they are on top of each other, 15 to 20 yards 2 to 3 inch groups and 25 yards 3 to 3 1/2.

And this wk end at IDPA match on 7 targets in a (V) shape in Tactical order 2 shots in the center 14 shots 1 reload manditory, 15 seconds no miss, second string , same targets all head shots in any order no reload manditory 8 seconds no misses (0) it is very important I think to sand bag with your gun then free hand you might find you will shoot close to the same after you really learn your gun, I have had my XD about 3 wks and about 2000 rounds, I try to shoot in every way I can, strong hand weak hand , I would try up side down if I could stand on my head, I just love to shoot. all types helps you know your gun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts