Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont want to use saiga mags.

I am open to ANY conversion, mod, parts mix and match.

galil, east german, 5.45 mags with the robinson follower, .223 bulgarian.

what is the best route in the opinion of the local AK experts.

I have been reading much on akfiles and saiga 12 forum, and its volumes of info, some is many years old and makes me wonder if the options still exist, or if there is a new prefered combo that exists now in 2008 that was not practical in 2003 or 2004.

My .223 saiga is supposed to arrive in detroit on thursday, maybe even wednesday so i would like to hurry up and order a few mags and the parts from dinzag.

·
Premium Member
1,574 Posts
I have been reading much on akfiles and saiga 12 forum, and its volumes of info, some is many years old and makes me wonder if the options still exist, or if there is a new prefered combo that exists now in 2008 that was not practical in 2003 or 2004.
Same here.....some of the info is quite dated.

Am keeping an eye on this thread myself as I just picked up a Saiga .223 several weeks ago. (you'll like it! ;) )

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
"Best" is highly subjective.

I'll go from "laziest" to "most work involved" and stick with military grade magazines (you're on your own with the US made polymer crapshoot mags). All mags listed require a bullet guide. One of the problems with milsurp .223 mags is that the commies did not have an accord that set the design specs, so the different mags from different countries work differently.

1st, the galil polymer mags work w/o any mods to the rifle and only a small mod to the magazine. The highlighted rib needs to be reduced to the level of the rest of the magazine.

2nd, the Bulgarian polymer waffle mags in 5.56 Nato require that the rear tab of the mag well be removed (it's there to keep military mags from locking in). This tab is found at the rear of the mag well and is part of the receiver. In my experience, no further mods are needed, but you may have to polish the mag catch lever a smidge if your tastes require an audible *click*.

3rd: Weiger mags or their Romanian knockoffs. I've not used these, and have no experience with them. I do know that they won't fit my Saiga .223 that the Bulgarian and galil mags work fine in.

4th: Some folks have had good luck with Yugo M90/95 mags, but they are very expensive and thicker than the others.

I do not recommend using any 5.45x39 magazines for .223 rifles as the curvature is not designed for .223 and reliability may be an issue when using more than 10 rounds in one, regardless of the presence of "Robinson followers". This image will show you the differences.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
If it were me, Weiger mags....period. The real German deal. Century has them. Yugo mags are very good, but pricey. Galil/Valmet mags would be my third choice. If you have done your part with the Saiga, any mag but Romanians should work just fine...leave the 5,45 mags alone...there getting expensive enough without the help of the guys looking for cheap 5.56 mags. you will be able to get between 26 and 26 rounds into a converted 5,45 mag-but usually 17-21 will load into the gun without trouble. And once converted, they are trash...

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
einheit and nanaolith do yallz have a suggestion where to get the best price on said mags, or are most of the online shops a dollar or two either way.

i serached and didnt find very many of the gun shops i have bookmarked having much in the way way of .223

Products Page

Product ID: MA1050
German 30 Rd. AK Magazine Steel, Cal.223
Details & Associated Products
Not for sale in MD, CA, CT
Condition: Excellent

Price: $26.95

says comming soon? you have any leads on them einheit ?

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Numrich has poly galil mags.

Used - good condition ( they're just sandy/dusty ).

·
Registered
138 Posts
"Best" is highly subjective.

I'll go from "laziest" to "most work involved" and stick with military grade magazines (you're on your own with the US made polymer crapshoot mags). All mags listed require a bullet guide. One of the problems with milsurp .223 mags is that the commies did not have an accord that set the design specs, so the different mags from different countries work differently.

1st, the galil polymer mags work w/o any mods to the rifle and only a small mod to the magazine. The highlighted rib needs to be reduced to the level of the rest of the magazine.

I did a Saiga .223 conversion last year (Including the feed ramp). I tried 4 different types of mags and had the best luck with the Galil, followed by the Bulgarian waffle. I tossed the other two... Not saying someone else couldn't make them work, I just didn't like the results.

The Galil mag left me with the best fit and was the easiest to work with. I bought another half dozen, but have not modified them yet. I meant to try and find a good, consistant way to use my dremel (instead of a file) to remove enough of that rib; I've just been too lazy to get around to it :roll:

Note the part of the post from nalioth that says "reduce" (not remove). I took a little too much off with my first try. It still fits and works fine, but I'd guess it'll get even more sloppy when it finally wears down / gets really broken-in.

Edit:
Oh yeah; get the double hook trigger if you do the PG conversion. The single hook trigger allows one side of the main spring to jump into the wrong place, blocking the disconnect. Fun, but definately not legal...

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Edit:
Oh yeah; get the double hook trigger if you do the PG conversion. The single hook trigger allows one side of the main spring to jump into the wrong place, blocking the disconnect. Fun, but definately not legal...
If you ensure the hammer spring hooks are in the proper place, and oriented correctly (spring is not upside down) the single hook triggers work fine.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Galil 35 Round .223 Magazines | e-GunParts.com

so these orlite ones are good galil mags, not some third rate knock off. It does say military surplus, so i am perfectly fine with dusty i dont care about that.

thanks for the pics, those galils do seem easy to mod. I like the idea of sanding down a side more than matching lips, and stuff. Sanding down the side in one little spot is pretty much fool proof.

i think i will order 5 of these if you guys says these are good mags.

then maybe order up 3-5 weiger metal units if they show up.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You should plan out your mag strategy.

If you modify your rifle for Weigers, after previously setting it up for Galil polys and Bulgys, then your Galil polys and Bulgarians will probably become loose and floppity.

err ok looks like i am gonna go with galils then lol.

i ordered 5 today, they said it ships out in two days or less. So hopefully i can see if i like how they fit, then order up 5 more for an even 10 count.

I like the metal in theroy, not sure if i am being stubborn old fashioned, but the galils appear to be so darn easy to mod and fit it was a no brainer.

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the help guys, for sorting out all the mag variations.

this is something i needed to do the right way from the begining.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
You should plan out your mag strategy.

If you modify your rifle for Weigers, after previously setting it up for Galil polys and Bulgys, then your Galil polys and Bulgarians will probably become loose and floppity.

Hows that?? i use Weiger and bulgy mags all the time, the Galil mags don't, had to mod the mag to fit and feed right. Non of them fit loose...

·
Banned
8,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what about steel galil mags ?

Galil Pre-Ban 35 Round .223 Caliber Mag-D S Arms

a little bit on the pricey side but just for knowledge purposes how do they fit or the degress of mod neccessary. I cant tell if the raised edge of the plastic orilite galils mags is present on the metal ones in that second layer of metal at the top?

anyways the 5 plastic mags i ordered last week came in, they look new to me, not even dusty. No sand no dust. If these were actually used and not wash, and used in israel, well it must not be as dusty as it looks on TV.:wink:

i am pretty sure they are brand new, there arent even any wear marks on them.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
what about steel galil mags ?
You'll have to fit them by hand. They're different enough from the plastic ones.

i am pretty sure they are brand new, there arent even any wear marks on them.
Yeah, well, once sold to the government, they're used - whether they ever left the gov't warehouse or not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts