Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all from AZ, i recently purchased a XDm 40 (bi tone)for my 21st birthday back in july, it was my first gun and i love it of course! Obviously my gun knowledge is very limited so Now i have decided to buy the XDm in 9mm and i was wondering are their any advantages to the stainless that the all black doesnt have or vice versa such as rust, slide resistance etc. Lol i was trying to decide to whether i should give my 40 a twin or a step sister

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The Bi-tone is stainless steel with no anti corrosive treatment therefore it will still rust though it is far more resistant to rust than carbon steel. Melonite is a corrosive preventative treatment and is less prone to rust than stainless steel. Stainless steel will show wear as a shiny area while Melonite will appear lighter in color. Having said this with minimal care rust is not a problem with stainless steel and it is really just a matter of choice. Getting one in stainless will make easy to tell one from the other.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The bi-tone could give you away to the bad guy due to the gun being shiney. The all black dont have any glare.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The bi-tone could give you away to the bad guy due to the gun being shiney. The all black dont have any glare.
I never really but this argument. It's not like the gun is a mirror reflecting a 1000 watts of light.

I am also not sure if the SS is treated with melonite or not. I have heard yes and no, but nothing official from SA. It could be, since melonite is a treatment that penetrates the surface.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This argument is absurd though, since I'm not an operative or a Navy Seal who is worried about giving away his position while trying to sneak past a bad guy. If my gun comes out, you're going to know it.

I believe the only difference is appearance. I own a black XD and a bi-tone XD, and I have had no issues with rust on either. I carry the bi-tone the most, and it has been rained on more than a few times.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This argument is absurd though, since I'm not an operative or a Navy Seal who is worried about giving away his position while trying to sneak past a bad guy. If my gun comes out, you're going to know it.

I believe the only difference is appearance. I own a black XD and a bi-tone XD, and I have had no issues with rust on either. I carry the bi-tone the most, and it has been rained on more than a few times.
Then why are most service guns for the police depts. black...why because of that fact!!!

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
If you have to pull a gun, the intended recipient will know it. Best to not announce it to everyone else and cause confusion.

Just something I learned from my youthful wilder days before I had good sense.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Then why are all service guns for the police depts. black...why because of that fact!!!

Did you actually just say this?

Is there anyone that is questioning IF a LEO has a firearm? I mean, are the bad guys like "hey, maybe that guy dressed in a full police uniform has a pistol.. I should look for something shinny!"

Most departments get their pistols from the lowest bidder... Not much room for a price deduction when your spending the extra money on a stainless finish.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Then why are all service guns for the police depts. black...why because of that fact!!!
Not all dept. issued service weapons are blued or black. I have a friend that's a retired LEO that was issued a Stainless S&W 357 revolver for about half of his active duty time!!! It seems to me that you are assuming and you know what they say about that.

Sorry this has gone way off topic!!! To the OP, IMHO the only difference between the two is appearance and price. I personally like the stainless look, I just don't want to pay for it.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Hmmm. And to think when I was an LEO the department issued us stainless S&W's. We were so silly back then. :cool:

·
Registered
211 Posts
One potential advantage of the all black is it could be easier to carry concealed than a bi-tone, particularly if your choice of holster is an OWB model that doesn't cover the muzzle or last inch or two of slide. Could also make for a little bit less trouble if someone decided to open carry (where legal, of course). Even though where I live, open carry is legal with a permit, I don't want anyone knowing I have the gun on unless and until the need arises to use it.

That said, I don't think it's an primary factor though. My XDm is all black, but I might have opted for the bitone if they had one in stock when I bought it. My other auto and most of my revolvers are stainless primarily for durability and rust resistance.

Alchemist77

·
Registered
141 Posts
Well if your carrying it concealed the color makes no difference hence the term concealed. By the time they know I have a gun they will not care what color or caliber it is. If you are in the military black finish on a OD or Tan frame is preferred since it will blend into your camo better. Ever notice a soldier all decked out in his uniform and he blends into his environment and all you can really see is his rifle lol. A lot of soldiers do paint their rifles for this reason.

So if you are carrying open in camo then yes a black finish is preferred. If you are a LEO or a civilian carrying concealed then it does not matter. Back in the days most LEO revolvers where stainless ,then they went to pistols and the big thing was S&W and most all of them where stainless and then they started going to Glock and guess what? Glock does not offer a stainless finish.

So bottom line is unless your dressed in camo the finish of your slide does not matter!

Now for the OP if your wearing it in a manner that your body persperation will be coming into contact with the weapon the stainless slide is probably a better option for you. However the finish of all these guns today is much better then they used to be. You have to remember that most "black" guns back in the day where just blued which is NOT a good choice. With modern day finishes it is less of an issue but a stainless slide long term is still probably better.

Check out this link for more info:

Chuck Taylor's ASAA -COMBAT HANDGUN FINISHES

·
Registered
55 Posts
A question and a point.

Isn't the bi-tone actually coated with something like Robar's NP3 finish? It looks and feels like it.

The black versus stainless argument for police work has been a much debated topic over the years. Some argue that the shiny guns gives the suspect a point of reference to shoot at when you are trying to use concealment or need to move from one location to another. But then, hey my big a$$ badge is more shiny. What I have noticed over the past many years is that crack heads and other bad guys will notice the two-tone gun quicker than the all black gun and I have had them respond to my orders a bit more quickly. Nothing scientific here but its noticable. In essence, a shiny gun is harder to hide if you are trying too. More importantly as previously pointed out, the stainless guns seem to fair better in humid climates than some of the blue/blackened finishes. Just my 2-cents. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hard Chrome finish will hold up better and is easier to clean. Its worth the extra cost on any pistol.
well i figured that the stainless still would hold up better but then i was informed that the all black models are melonite and are more durable than the steel...then i thought arent glocks made of the same? and glocks are very durable as well

·
Registered
59 Posts
Who said Glock doesn't offer a stainless finish??!!! I have a G27 with stainless finish...... I am LEO and carry an XDM .40 bi-tone, stainless slide. I love it and wouldn't trade it back for my regular XD .40 4" all black.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'll say it, "Glock doesn't offer a stainless steel finish." :mrgreen: I too have a stainless finish "looking" Glock 22 but I sent it off to Virgil Tripp and had it hard chromed back in the day. I know there are a lot of after market, very high quality Glock slides out there that are stainless though. :D

I very much like the durable finish Glock is putting on their slides now. That smooth semi-gloss look would go very nice on my XD Tactical.

·
Registered
92 Posts
A Melonite finish is unbelievably hard, even under that "black" it is still melonited for a couple of .001's. The Black color is just a surface reaction, even the inside of the barrel is Melonited. It may not be as hard as Hard-Chrome, however it doesn't need a physical bond as it is a treatment to the steel it's self and, it's much deeper than the chrome would be thick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts