Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing more and more posts that Walmart is out of ammo, online outlets are backordered, and that generally, ammo is hard to find because people are buying it wherever and whenever they find it.

So my question is, what is going to happen to all this ammo? Assuming that people are stockpiling ammo, whether it's having a few extra boxes on hand or a few 1000s, where is all this ammo going to end up?

I've thought of a few scenarios:

1) The Frugal Shooter
Shooters and enthusiasts are buying ammo now because it's cheap and they expect the price to go up and the availability to go down. This is an investment in their sport and they will eventually shoot the ammo they are buying.

2) The Investor
People speculate that ammo will be more expensive down the road, so they are buying it cheap now with no plans to shoot it, but instead, plan to sell it at a higher price later. This is an investment in their pocket book.

3) The End of the World as We Know It and Post-Apocalyptic Garage Sale
People are preparing for unthinkable scenarios where they will need enough ammo to singlehandedly fight and win the apocalypse. This ammo will likely sit around underground for many years and will eventually resurface, only to be sold at a garage sale as surplus- just like the stuff from the early years of the cold war.

Any other thoughts on where all this ammo might end up or what people will do with it?

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
I'm with the #1 scenario. I bought several years worth of current range consumption in all calibers I need last Summer and early Fall. If it turns out that this really is no big deal then I've got a good store of ammo I bought cheap, by today's standards. If there are issues then I'll slow down use until a better time comes along. Win/win either way.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm very new to shooting Handguns and buying ammo for that matter, I'm in St.Louis and went to the LWM to purchase some. They did have quite a bit of 9mm some 40 and so on..but the shelves did look bare....I have no idea why people are buying up all the ammo...your ideas sound plausible...I did mention to my neighbor that I purchased my xd and the first words out of his mouth were...."better go buy up a $1000 dollars worth of ammo before Obama taxes it to death"....I think ammo will go up in price because of simple supply and demand...why wouldn't they raise the prices if they are flying off the shelves...

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
What Blargh23 said.

Also #2 equates to #3 in that a 22lr will allow you to have dinner, and if #3 occurs, a bullet will be more valuable than gold ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
People are afraid of new taxes, import restriction and price increases on ammo with the new administration.
While some people do speculate, I think a lot of gun enthusiasts are just piling up and preparing for the worse.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I'm very new to shooting Handguns and buying ammo for that matter, I'm in St.Louis and went to the LWM to purchase some. They did have quite a bit of 9mm some 40 and so on..but the shelves did look bare....I have no idea why people are buying up all the ammo...your ideas sound plausible...I did mention to my neighbor that I purchased my xd and the first words out of his mouth were...."better go buy up a $1000 dollars worth of ammo before Obama taxes it to death"....I think ammo will go up in price because of simple supply and demand...why wouldn't they raise the prices if they are flying off the shelves...
This months issue of ShotGun News has an article talking about the possibility of a 75% tax on ammunition ... I guess anything is possible, and this is much quicker than implementing that MicroStamp stuff a few people are lobbying for:twisted:

As for supply and demand, you are right ... Heck, even if the supply side goes high, they can always ramp down production ... There is no reason to reduce the cost for something, when people prove they will buy at the current price.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
People are afraid of new taxes, import restriction and price increases on ammo with the new administration.
While some people do speculate, I think a lot of gun enthusiasts are just piling up and preparing for the worse.
Careful ... The R word will get this moved to the political section :lol:

·
Registered
963 Posts
This months issue of ShotGun News has an article talking about the possibility of a 75% tax on ammunition ... I guess anything is possible, and this is much quicker than implementing that MicroStamp stuff a few people are lobbying for:twisted:

As for supply and demand, you are right ... Heck, even if the supply side goes high, they can always ramp down production ... There is no reason to reduce the cost for something, when people prove they will buy at the current price.
Interesting....on the 75%...I have a lot of catching up to do....as for the supply demand...I don't think anyone will stop buying ammo regardless of cost...unless forced to and that would be ugly....

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
THe Dems. have been pushing for more gun control since Clinton was Pres. They have finally figured out theway to control guns is through ammo restrictions. Instead of out & out banning ammo, they just tax the crap out of it. Sen. Schumer of NY, has had a 100%-1000% trax bill up in front of the Senate almsot every year since the Brady Bill. It WIL BE coming around again & they now have the votes & a PEBO will sign it. SO yes it is panic buying, but not without justefiable fear.:(
Do yourself a favor & start reloading. COmponents are still available, but getting in short supply. It's also a lot easier to store 10K bullets & primers, a 4# jug of powder & a couple 1000 pieces of brass.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
It's for my 1,000,000 post karma!:D

·
Premium Member
2,267 Posts
Put me down for answer #1.

And quite possibly for answer #3.

The way the economy is going, if the SHTF and there are riots in the cities, you can bet that one of the first things that will happen is ALL gun sales and ammunition sales will be stopped. I believe it happened with the LA riots and others. So if you don't have it on hand, you WON'T have it................PERIOD!

And you forgot #4. ZOMBIES!!!!

I live near a few graveyards. I swear, some nights I can hear them trying to dig out! If they do make it out, and get into the house and past my defenses to eat my brains............believe me..........they will STARVE! ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Interesting....on the 75%...I have a lot of catching up to do....as for the supply demand...I don't think anyone will stop buying ammo regardless of cost...unless forced to and that would be ugly....
The thing that sucks is they are talking about this occurring via Executive Order:twisted:

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
Buy it cheap stack it deep.:mrgreen: I have a lot of reloading components but need to add another 10k primers and a few 8lb cans.

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
I think it's people who assume that "something" will happen with the new administration. I also think that in six months to a year, the market will be flooded with people trying to unload the excess ammo they bought, and NIB, or barely used, ARs and other guns that were on the Cinton ban list.

That's not to say I won't buy more ammunition than I need right now, but I have hope for low prices in the future. :p

·
Registered
174 Posts
My reloading equipment is coming in today, if worse comes to worse I could even start casting my own bullets. I'd like to see them tax that! lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'm intending to do #1 & #3 (for shooting and for End of the World)

But I'm adding to #3. I'm starting to collect equipment for casting my own 9mm and .40S&W. I'm also stock piling 9mm, .40 S&W & .223 bullets for later reloading.

I picked up a brass catcher for my AR also. I'm also converting as many guns as I can over to .22LR.

Buying a $200 .22LR conversion for my AR will pay for its self in the first 1000 shots. (Figuring $0.20 difference between the .223 and the .22LR.)

Same will go for pistols converted to .22.

My reloading equipment is coming in today, if worse comes to worse I could even start casting my own bullets. I'd like to see them tax that! lol
Don't taunt the beast.... Get your casting equipment (at least the moulds) now!

Hardwarz

1 - 20 of 41 Posts