Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty set on purchasing the Service 4" .40, however am not seeing much dialogue on the Ported Model in this forum. I would consider this a decent CCW option as well with reduced muzzle flip and recover time. Does anyone have Pros/Cons they would be willing to share on this subject? I'd surely appreciate it.

Thanks much, one week until my .40 is in.

·
Registered
307 Posts
A ported barrel or an add-on compensator has holes in the top to direct exhaust gas upwards in an effort to reduce recoil. While they do work for that purpose, ported/compensated guns are not a good option for self-defense. The problem with them is that the gas that escapes upwards is burning. Known as muzzle flash, the bright light directed upward will reduce your night vision capability. Statistically, most gunfights happen in reduced light, and this is not a good time to have a bright flame temporarily blind you.

Additionally, since many gunfights are at very close distances, you might need to fire your gun while held close to your body, in order to keep the gun from being snatched by your assailant. In this case, a ported/compensated barrel will cause extensive burning as the muzzle flash projects upwards.

·
Registered
39 Posts
From what I have read on this forum the ported models tend to be avoided for a self-defense weapon. Although the ports help with muzzle flip and recovery time in well lit situations, during low light situations the flash created through the ports may cause temporary blindness and a longer recovery time. Therefor not the best choice for home defense, when you are more likely to have to use your weapon at night.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
ported is not good as stated above, but for the real story check out these pics from Overkill's photo thread

This is the flash spoken of.
http://gamephilez.us/personal/home_xd_portflash_recolor.jpg

Top of the target... XD was right up against it. Bottom... paper was draped over the ports on his XD40V10.
http://gamephilez.us/personal/bath_muzzleblast_holes.jpg

Imagine if you had to make a close to the body discharge. The burns would be intense not to mention as teh round goes past the compensator holes, part of the bullet is shaved off and those shavings are directed up and out of the holes by the exhaust gasses as well. The result is an amount of very small shrapnel potentially being deposited in YOUR body and not the bad guys.

If you want to carry it for defense, then get a spare non ported bbl and carry, and enjoy the ported one at the range.

·
Registered
607 Posts
There are more comments (largely against the ported barrel) in another recent thread which I haven't searched for.

The main reason to even consider porting would seem to be reduced muzzle flip. But the XD-40 is a sweet shooter anyway. The payoff is marginal at best and the downside is considerable.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I would suggest shooting a regular, non-ported model to see if you really need the benefits of the porting.

You could probably find someone on here in the Spokane area that would let you shoot theirs to try if you can't find a range rental. If you want to make the drive down to Salt Lake City, I'll let you try mine out, but since Spokane is closer, you might want to try the membership there first.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
you could also invest $179 ( think) for a ported barrel yuou could swap out fgor the range.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the ported 40 and then bought a slightly used standard XD 40 barrel. That way I can shoot either way. Only takes a min to change the barrel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts