Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I prowl/lurk through postings here, I see a lot of info about storing supplies for shtf/teotwawki. great info, BUT....

What about you guys (if any) that live in a high risk area for floods/storms, etc?

In my example, for anything more than a cat. 1 hurricane, I bug out. More than likely my area will flood, or worse. Even in my long-bed truck with a cap, it would be hard to carry much else if I was to have all of my shtf supplies, (if I could even carry all of that).

Your thoughts? Do you guys rent a storage building or something? My last but out, I carried my generator / gas / chain saws, and other valuables.... but hadn't really gotten to increasing my preparedness level.

After all, in a flood, many of the supplies that are suggested will get lost in the flood waters. (I'm watching all the stuff happen in the mid-west). A BIG enclosed trailer to use for bug out stuff? (Not especially practical)

What do "y'all" think?? :?:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have seen plastic drums.....they are brown in color and have a rubber-sealed lid. I found them at Farmer's CO-OP. That could be bolted to a floor.....sealed against leaks and would make a good for storage. The down side is that I don't think the lid can be made lockable. A pocket knife can slice one open though.

Another option is that Lowe's has job-site storage boxes (tool box that are movable by forklift) that are lockable. I would think the lid and the slot opening for the lock bar can be made water proof with a strip of rubber. The boxes I have seen have "feet" that are 4" high. Here is one used as a gun locker.....see pic.

Like you suggested......off site storage is good. But when the craps hits......will vandals think to look at storage facitlities? I think so.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,748 Posts
I purchased a big enclosed trailer to move with and now use it for storage. That would definitely be an option if local zoning allows. a travel trailer might be a better option (if the suspension was heavy enough) because it would also be a place to stay, and not stand out so much as a storage.

If you are really concerned about this, you really should have a place to bug out to.

Its not just houses that get foreclosed on. I am eyeing a 40 and a 8 acre plot nearby me coming up for sale at the northern MI property tax auction in a couple of months. I'd be buying for investment purposes, but something like that would really be your best option. do some research. minimum bid there is just over the unpaid taxes (3 years worth). I got my current house there last year for less than $4000. you just have to really do your research so you know exactly what you are getting.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Do you guys rent a storage building or something?
I would say this would work for your scenario because the disaster is localized. However in a complete SHTF scenario the owner of the storage unit (I'm think of the big storage facilities) will be gone with your crap locked inside or the desperate mobs will have gutted the place. A trailer is a good idea provided you have enough warning to pack it and beat people out of the area. You could leave it half packed at all times with no perishable stuff.

The best as mentioned is your own bug out spot but I don't have one yet either! A chunk of land with a connex might work until you could build a structure on it.

·
Registered
19,748 Posts
The best as mentioned is your own bug out spot but I don't have one yet either! A chunk of land with a connex might work until you could build a structure on it.
I have no idea what a connex is. An inter-modal shipping container maybe?

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I have no idea what a connex is. An inter-modal shipping container maybe?

Basically a big metal shipping container like you see on cargo ships. There is a how industry that makes them into offices and homes.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Don't get hung up on the "I gotta take everything with me" trap. You can't take everything you will ever need so don't even try. Just take survival essentials.

When I used to backpack, camp, travel around the country in a travel trailer, the rule was... Pack everything you think you need then take everything you just packed and cut it in half. Then take what you have left and cut it in half again and you are just about down to what you really need to take.

·
Registered
19,748 Posts
Basically a big metal shipping container like you see on cargo ships. There is a how industry that makes them into offices and homes.
Yah, they have a ton of different names it seams.

I was thinking about that for the house I want to build. My basic plan is an ICF (Styrofoam forms filled with concrete) basement. a couple of those, one on each end. then span the gap and put a vaulted ceiling over the middle part. divide one container into the kid's bedrooms, then you know they'd be safe, even if there was a massive quake or tornado.

but yes, they'd make better storage sheds. just put it on top of a couple of RR ties and you've got a lockable steel storage shed that should last just about forever.

another Idea I had for one of those is to turn one into a camp/RV if I stuck it on that back of a flatbed truck.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A storage trailer left on the path of a Category 3 and above hurricane or a tornado would be worthless.

Now concrete pad with an anchored 20' or a 40' container from a ship? Now you are talking...

·
Registered
749 Posts
I keep all my bug-in/hurricane gear in one of these:

Amazon.com: Plano Sport Locker: Sports & Outdoors

They come in lots of different levels of quality and price with different levels of water-resistance... Holds lots of stuff, all lockable. Not going to do much good against actual raiders who will just take the whole box and appreciate you packing it nicely for them in an easy to carry box :D.

Anyways, should be fairly weather-safe and has lots of space for quite a bit of stuff. Don't worry about your furniture/electronics. That's what insurance is for.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I'd be skeptical at $39, if you want to be safe you can't beat Pelican/Storm.
Yeah, I don't have the flood concerns the OP had, so my box is more for a convenient place to find everything related to a bug-in, with mild rain resistance in the event I need to toss it in the back of a truck. $350 for the Pelican is probably more expensive than everything I have inside my foot locker combined :D.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Yeah, I don't have the flood concerns the OP had, so my box is more for a convenient place to find everything related to a bug-in, with mild rain resistance in the event I need to toss it in the back of a truck. $350 for the Pelican is probably more expensive than everything I have inside my foot locker combined :D.
Stanley also makes a really stout one they sell at Home Depot for about $85. I bought a cheap one to use as my one box that would be shipped over here on an Air Force pallet (vs. they duffles and ruck I carried) and it showed up smashed. Every thing was there but it smelled like some one had worn my Ranger Panties :shock:

Just kidding about the last part!

In case you aren't familiar with Ranger Panties:
MJ SOFFE Adult Tricot Running Shorts (Ranger Panties)

Do yourself a favor and buy a pair! Sorry off topic.

·
Registered
19,748 Posts
I've got a big home depot Stanley tote with a telescoping handle and a couple of wheels. It is probably a bit over 2'x2'x3'. I've got hundreds of pound of stuff in there (vice, grinder, circular saw, snowmobile engine etc.) I really expected the handle to break off the first time I lifted the end, but its all been good so far.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Consider something like this.....

ShelterBox: - Home

Not only a great concept but an excellent charity. My family bought and sponsors a shelterbox. It is a good way to practice what you preach.

My home bug out survival kit is based on what is in a shelterbox to some degree.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Do the best with what you have. It may be a small trailer in your garage or a rented storage space along your evacuation route to resupply. Or both.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys, lots of good ideas / pointers.

As mentioned, my big concern was if we were trying to stockpile supplies for extended shtf circumstances, lots of food / supplies etc. BUT, stockpiling all of that in a flood or hurricane hazard area may not be the best idea after more research and some of your ideas.

Looks like more than likely my best bet is going to be to only have a small emergency food / supply stash, bug out in an emergency, and then hope to be able to stock up on necessary items when I get to the bug-out location.

Not a great solution, BUT better than losing all of the things I stored up when a storm or flood wipes out my home. (No, I don't care about any of the home furnishings / electronics).

Appreciate it all!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts